White Monkey Chinese Green

Green Tea
Cookie, Cream, Nuts, Pecan, Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

• “White Monkey Chinese Green from Single Origin Teas is a delightfully fuzzy tea. I reviewed a different White Monkey at the end of September and spent a large chunk of the review waxing poetically...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 434 tasting notes
  • “This is a great green tea. It has a bit of a dry mouthfeel, but to be fair, the one I tried was from a little sample my friend gave me and has been in a tiny plastic ziplock for quite some time, so...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 154 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

This Chinese style green tea from the Fujian province of China demonstrates how diverse green teas can be. While this tea could easily be a white tea with the high number of trichomes (or hairs) present on the tips, it has been slightly oxidized and releases a beautiful delicate green flavor. Chinese style green tea production often includes lightly pan-frying the leaves, thus allowing for a sweet chestnut taste to emerge.

We believe that White Monkey is one of our top Chinese green teas. It offers a delicate flavor with subtle layers. Its sweetness allows us to enjoy this tea all year round, even during the heat of summer. Often in China a tea’s appearance matters as much as its taste, and White Monkey again delivers. Gently curled leaves indicate a careful rolling process that opens the leaves’ flavor, while not being too harsh.

We would urge that boiling water should not be used on green teas, which will “burn” the leaves and create a more bitter brew. Instead, allow for the water to cool for a few minutes. This will help to ensure a sweet, tasty flavor.

About Single Origin Teas View company

White Monkey Chinese Green from Single Origin Teas is a delightfully fuzzy tea. I reviewed a different White Monkey at the end of September and spent a large chunk of the review waxing poetically about Trichomes and how entertainingly diverse this type of tea is, I do really enjoy fuzzy teas. White Monkey fascinates me because it seems to have its velvety leaves straddling two worlds bringing the best characteristics of White Tea to a Green Tea. The aroma of this particular White Monkey has a touch of citrus sweetness that mixes with a paper like aroma I always associate with Pai Mu Dan. Yes, I said paper, trust me this is a huge compliment because I love the smell of paper, especially artisan Washi which is what I think some White Teas smell like. There are also very subtle notes of cedar and and fresh greenery.

It is time for the leaves to lose their fuzz and steep! The aroma of the steeping leaves is delightfully complex blending the delicate sweetness of citrus with artichoke and fresh greenery. The leaves lose their papery aroma and take on a more vegetal tone expected from a Green Tea. Once the leaves are removed the aroma of the liquid is sweet and vegetal mixing chestnuts and fresh spinach with a tiny note of green beans. The aroma of this tea is drool worthy, not just because the right side of my face is still numb, I promise.

I have fuzzies in my mouth, I love trichomes so much, they really are so wonderful. I have heard some people (my mother for example) say that the trichomes in tea are a bit much and make you cough but I have never had this problem, the only problem with fuzzy teas I have ever noticed is sometimes it makes my mouth itch just a little. The taste is initially savory, blending artichoke with a hint of spinach. The aftertaste is honey sweet with a little bit of an orange blossom sweetness lingering in the back of the mouth for a few moments. As the tea cools it takes on more of a chestnut taste. I decided to give this tea a second steeping and noticed that it has even richer, the mouthfeel becomes buttery and the chestnut taste is much more prominent. I would have taken a photo of the slightly paler second steep, but I forgot to not drink it all first, whoops! I really enjoyed this tea, it is subtle and refreshing, a tea I wish to sip while sitting outside on a spring day or with a delicate dessert. Now, if you will all excuse me, I am going to go brew up some more of it!

For Photos and Blog Post: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/10/single-origin-teas-white-monkey-chinese.html

This is a great green tea. It has a bit of a dry mouthfeel, but to be fair, the one I tried was from a little sample my friend gave me and has been in a tiny plastic ziplock for quite some time, so it hasn’t been exactly stored in the most optimal conditions.

The flavor of this green tea is very creamy and soft. There are some light vegetal and nutty tones. The smell is lightly sweet. It’s got a bit of a pecan praline vibe to it and as the tea cools it becomes even more enjoyably sweet. The second steep is even more sweet and mellow than the first, with possibly a hint of unsweetened coconut flavor. This is quite a soft tea and offers some unique qualities from my other experiences with green tea.

Flavors: Cookie, Cream, Nuts, Pecan, Sweet, Vegetal