1999 Aged Muzha Tieguanyin Oolong Tea, Lot 235

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Sil

• “so i'm not typically a fan of oolongs, though roasted oolongs are better than green and some aged oolongs are better still. Terri sent this one my way - another tea from TTC that she picked up,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “I was rummaging through my sample box the other day and found this tea. Had a brief conversation with myself... Where did this come from? Obviously Sil sent it to you. I drank all the samples Sil...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 741 tasting notes

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

Sometimes we get to be pleasantly surprised by exceptional teas without looking for them. These findings are purely circumstantial, and most often happen when we are not in working mode. This is one of those finds. We always enjoy going up into the surrounding hills when visiting Taipei. This area also happens to be one of the first to be planted with Chinese tea bushes in Taiwan in the 19th century and the presence of the Tie Guan Yin strand is very common and well adapted to these hills. The town of Muzha is particularly reputed for its traditional style, higher-oxidized oolong teas. It is also an area that has a long-standing tradition around the craft of aging tea. A casual stop at one of the famous tea houses for the required afternoon tea eventually turned in to multiple tea tasting session fuelled by good conversation with the owners. Every cup was pleasant, but then came this tea. It has everything one must expect from a good aged tea, and this is rare: a smooth, layered complexity that challenges the palate but never aggresses it. The dried fruits are there, the roasted nuts, the caramelized sweetness and the spiciness. Everything is there in a perfect harmonious balance. And this one has body and persistence, which is not common! This is often the sign of a well fired tea showing the skill of its maker. This tea is already good despite it’s relative young age, it will become a stellar one if allowed to age, if you can resist not drinking it now… Enjoy!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

so i’m not typically a fan of oolongs, though roasted oolongs are better than green and some aged oolongs are better still. Terri sent this one my way – another tea from TTC that she picked up, that i hadn’t tried. I have to say? this one isn’t bad. I much prefer this aged oolong over their aged black tea :) There’s a sweetness here that i enjoy and it’s missing that “oolongy” taste that i’m not a huge fan of. there’s still a bit of vegetal taste here but it’s more of a burned grass than green grass lol. I’ll be sharing the rest of this little bit with dexter! :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, the aged black tea really tasted like roasted beets, which I enjoy eating, but not so much to drink!

I was rummaging through my sample box the other day and found this tea. Had a brief conversation with myself…
Where did this come from?
Obviously Sil sent it to you.
I drank all the samples Sil sent…
The fact that it’s still here means that you didn’t.

Another perfect example of why having 23408234098 teas in your cupboard is too many.
Anyway…. I’m drinking this today at work.
It’s awesome. Of the teas I’ve tried from Taiwan Tea Craft this is my favorite. it’s not really like a “true” dark oolong, it’s not really like other aged oolongs I’ve had. It’s really fruity (stone fruit – peach? apricot?). not floral at all, not roasted/smokey at all. Not sure what it is, but awesome is how I feel.
Thanks so much Sil (and Terri ?) for passing this on to me.

caile

haha, that’s a big cupboard! ; )

LMAO hahahaha

TheTeaFairy

(Lol, me think you need a certain giant mason jar mug to sipdown more tea at once and reduce your stash considerably so you can start dinking your own tea!)

I want one…. Just so expensive. :(