Imperial Pearl

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Cinnamon, Dried Fruit
Edit tea info Last updated by sherubtse

• “Getting a little more sugar sweetness and scent from a short second steep, but we'll probably have to start from scratch to test time and temp differences. I'm not a frequent multiple steeper, but...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1757 tasting notes
  • “The liquor smells predominantly of black tea and something I can't quite place (it's a really prominent smell, however, and I'll edit this once I figure out what it is). Almost chocolate or...” Read full tasting note
    hgreen 19 tasting notes
  • “Wow, nutmeg! Dark brew, all three steeps. A natural sweetness. This does remind me of something you'd drink out of a snifter at the end of a nice dinner party. When it comes to oolongs, so...” Read full tasting note
    amlang 18 tasting notes
  • “This is a very dark, highly-oxidized oolong, very close to a black. There are notes of molasses, and a sweetness that is present through all infusions. Although not roasted, there is a certain...” Read full tasting note
    sherubtse 75 tasting notes

From The Mountain Tea co

A 2011 North American Tea Championship winner, this rare, brandy oolong (what is brandy oolong?) is a must have in your tea chest.

You will be enraptured with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, malt sugar, honey, and orange peel. We only picked the tenderest leaves of our prized oolong plants to create this exceptional tea; in doing so, we created a tea that is dark amber in color and sweet in flavor, sans astringency or bitterness.

Hotter water and longer steeping times will brew a more complex and spicier tea. Lower water temperature and shorter steeping times will brew a sweeter tea.

Water: 200-210°F

About The Mountain Tea co View company

Getting a little more sugar sweetness and scent from a short second steep, but we’ll probably have to start from scratch to test time and temp differences. I’m not a frequent multiple steeper, but to my bumbling taste buds, once green or oolong tea has “set,” the second steep doesn’t seem to change it a great deal.

The liquor smells predominantly of black tea and something I can’t quite place (it’s a really prominent smell, however, and I’ll edit this once I figure out what it is). Almost chocolate or coffee…but not quite. As it cools, it smells much more like a rich black tea. The liquor is a reddish amber, almost greenish on the edges. The flavor struck me as rather two-dimensional. It’s not a really simple flavor, but it definitely doesn’t seem particularly nuanced to me with this steeping. It tastes almost the same as sit smells, with more of a nearly-pine flavor, but in a not-quite-smoky way. I’ve seen it described as creamy or other such adjectives, and while I get that, it seems more sweet, but in a way that you might imagine old wood to be. At first, I cared for neither the odor of the dry leaves, nor for that of the liquor. I felt it tasted really…not off, but not really in a direction that I like my tea to go. As I sip it, however, it starts to seem much more drinkable. I think I’ll definitely enjoy what I have, but would choose something else in the future. Certainly an interesting tea, though.

Jiāng Luo

My feelings exactly, I unfortunately think this will be my last mt tea order as I was let down with just about every tea I tried from the order what else did you get with your order?

Wow, nutmeg! Dark brew, all three steeps. A natural sweetness. This does remind me of something you’d drink out of a snifter at the end of a nice dinner party.

When it comes to oolongs, so far I prefer the green ones to the dark ones. But I like the quirkiness of this one. Will have to play more with the steeping times and temperatures.

This is a very dark, highly-oxidized oolong, very close to a black. There are notes of molasses, and a sweetness that is present through all infusions. Although not roasted, there is a certain “roastedness” to it.

First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz water, 90 deg., 1:30 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 2:30 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 4 min.

Fourth infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 7 min.

Fifth infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 10+ min.

Brandy oolong is oxidized at around 90%, and the leaves are picked in summer. As a result, the flavor is deeper and more pronounced. This particular tea received recognition at the North American Tea Championship.

The hard, dry leaves were individually rolled irregularly into small green “pearls,” and are uniformly dark green in color. The unsteeped aroma is a predictably vegetal. The tea itself is not unlike a smoky Yunnan black, with a small amount of sweetness on the finish. Very flavorful – ideal as a breakfast waker-upper.

This is an extremely dark, smooth, oolong that’s rather unlike what I think of when I think of an oolong; the malty notes are reminiscent of a good Assam accompanied by a thick honey taste that’s oh-so-delicious. This is a perfect after-dinner treat (try it with red bean cakes, it’s great).

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Malt, Molasses

I’m really in love with this tea. If you weren’t told it was an oolong, you would never guess. It kind of reminds me of a Yunnan Gold/Red.

If you brew hotter and longer, you get more spice. But I brewed about 185 in gaiwan, short steeps. Then I slowly increased time and temp with every 4 or 5 steeps.

The liquor is just gorgeous, especially once the leaves open up. The scent of the wet leaves is just intoxicating. Get a lot of prune, malt, honey, and hint of spice, like a cinnamon.

Flavor is great, really rich and luxurious. There’s a sweetness to it, but little kick of spice as well. It peaked for me about steep 4 or 5 in 100ml gaiwan. But I still got about 12 solid steeps from it. After the 5th or so, it becomes more one note, sometimes more honey, sometimes more spice.

Just a great tea. Real high quality leaves. Very happy, and great price. I’ve paid a lot more for much less.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

English style steeping:

Steep 1: Smells not unlike brandy. Fantastic aroma. A little sweet.

Steep 2: Strong flavour still, much sweeter than the first steep.

Steep 3: Flavour is starting to wane, I think I can get one more steep out of this tea.

An interesting and beautifully complex tea. Steeped in a gaiwan, the first infusion came out very strong and Black Tea like with chocolate and molasses notes, with a subtly sweet, almost fruity after-taste. I agree with other tasters that the tea mellows out on the third infusion, lacking the strong Black Tea flavor of the first 2 infusions. Overall a great tasting tea; however, it can be a bit overpowering on the first couple infusions. Good on occasion, but I can’t see this as an everyday cup.

For the first cup, I would recommend washing the leaves for 1 minute before making it. As other have said, it takes the second cup before you get the full flavor.