Edit tea info Last updated by Lainie Petersen

• “I can't believe how remiss I've been about adding tasting notes. I didn't even have this one listed as in my cupboard, but I've had it for quite a while now...I've gone on to two other tea orders...” Read full tasting note
    sophistre 158 tasting notes
  • “All right, I admit there's more to this tea than I noticed before. When I open the pack of leaves and really pay attention to the smell, the built-up aroma is pretty intriguing. This isn't _just_...” Read full tasting note
    Harfatum 59 tasting notes
  • “Brews to a medium amber color. Smells like bread and honey. Tastes mild and malty with a little something like cooked collard greens and a little honey sweetness. A hint of bitterness. Moderate...” Read full tasting note
    Odysseus 69 tasting notes
  • “I think I brewed this a little too long today. It's a bit bitter. I love the underlying flavor though and it's still drinkable. I can't find the words to describe the flavor at the moment though. I...” Read full tasting note
    mandybee 58 tasting notes

From The Simple Leaf

It was love at first sip for us when we first tasted this smooth Assam tea. The black, wiry leaves of Amor brew a bright amber liquor that is mildly spicy, slightly woody, and has that characteristic malty Assam flavor. It is admittedly hard to describe what malty really means, but if you ever happen to smell toasted whole grains, well, that might be the best way to explain it. You can drink this tea plain, or if you prefer, add a dash of milk and a little sweetener. Enjoy hot or iced.

About The Simple Leaf View company

I can’t believe how remiss I’ve been about adding tasting notes. I didn’t even have this one listed as in my cupboard, but I’ve had it for quite a while now…I’ve gone on to two other tea orders since then! Shameful.

This is a good Assam. The aroma — both of the dry leaves and of the tea itself — is really nice (I don’t ever talk about the smell of the wet leaves because for some reason, the smell of wet tea leaves of any variety is sort of gross to me).

I’ve noticed that many Assams have a sort of berry undertone for me. Sinharaja has that same sort of thing going on, despite being a Ceylon. It’s very complementary to additions of turbinado sugar — something in the molasses content blends nicely (though I tend most often to take my teas, even my black teas, straight).

Not the stiffest Assam I’ve ever had, but pretty stiff, and it has that honeyed biscotti sort of flavor that tends to define the ones I like most. Those people grieving the inevitable emptying of their tin of Thomas Samson might consider this as an alternative, with those shared notes…though it’s definitely a bolder cup of tea than Thomas, and may not tickle every fancy.

JacquelineM

Good to know about it being in the same honeyed biscotti family as Thomas!!!! :) Thank you!

sophistre

I had some Thomas afterward just to ensure that I wasn’t crazy…and…the honey content is significantly less, alas. Thomas might comfortingly pat your shoulder in the morning, but Amor wants to grab you by both and shake you, so caveat emptor! I can always send you a sample to see, though.

JacquelineM

I love Assams, and I love the Simple Leaf, so I bet I will like it, even if it isn’t exact :) Thank you for the offer, though!! I am getting low on Dawn and need to place an order soon as it is – I will throw in the small size of Amor. This sounds like a great tea for the morning – I so need to be shaken in the AM!!!

Rabs

LOL! I kept reading the name of this tea as “Armor.” I just added this to my Shopping List as well since I’d rather have a “kick in the pants” morning tea vs. a “snuggle and go back to bed” one. ;)

sophistre

Oversteeping this, the way I chanced to this morning? Mouth full of cardboard. Not very forgiving.

Consider this forewarning!

All right, I admit there’s more to this tea than I noticed before. When I open the pack of leaves and really pay attention to the smell, the built-up aroma is pretty intriguing. This isn’t just straight up Assam. It’s got a hint of the briskness present in a nice Ceylon, for example. I’m still trying to figure out the other aspects of it, as well as the best brewing technique.

I tried ~4 minutes at near boiling with ~2 tsp leaves in ~12 oz of water. Initially, it felt a little weak, but as I was finishing the mug it felt a little astringent. My intuition tells me to try a 3 min steep with a little bit more leaves next time. I’m a bit hesitant to try a 5 minute steep like The Simple Leaf recommends, but I might give it a go if the 3 minute try doesn’t work out. If anyone else has any other ideas on how to bring out the most in this one, let me know.

Brews to a medium amber color. Smells like bread and honey. Tastes mild and malty with a little something like cooked collard greens and a little honey sweetness. A hint of bitterness. Moderate astringency.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Interesting about the collard greens taste.

Odysseus

I asked my wife what she thought it smelled like and she said oatmeal and the leaves that are used to wrap sticky rice in chinese cooking and then steamed. She seemed to be getting some of the stewed green smell too.

I think I brewed this a little too long today. It’s a bit bitter. I love the underlying flavor though and it’s still drinkable. I can’t find the words to describe the flavor at the moment though. I feel like a tea review failure. :P