Master Zhang's 15 Year Aged Tieguanyin

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “Continuing the oolong theme… This one surprised me. As I was steeping the first few steeps, and then tasting them, my first thought was, "are you sure this isn't a sheng?" It had a woody,...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1942 tasting notes
  • “I awoke this morning, having made a decision to work my way through the Verdant TOMC bundle from August...finally! I've drank Zhu Rong a couple of times (& purchased enough of it to probably keep...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes
  • “2/23/14 Morning gongfu. 3g/100ml gaiwan. This tea did not show well for me this morning - I'm going to revisit the steeping suggestions on the website before I try it again. There were...” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 84 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Verdant Reserve Club – August

Master Zhang is making some of the finest Tieguanyin in the world. Based in Daping village at the very highest peaks of Gande, Anxi. His terraced fields are overgrown with wildflowers, and fed by the sweetest spring water in the world.

This aged Tieguanyin has been roasted once a year for 15 years to create a dark, rich and commanding tea. It is very rare to find a tea of this age that has been tended consistently and has a verified origin of such quality as Master Zhang.

The first sip of this tea opens up on the tongue with the complexity of a fine pu’er. It is rich, caramel-like, and fruity like a cup of tawny port. This tea is roasted so masterfully that there is no charcoal or burnt sugar flavor. This is a pure, clean and sweet tea that brings out the natural creamy and floral notes of Anxi’s terroir. The flavor is so substantive that it reminds me of tsanpa, roasted and ground barley kneaded with tea and butter.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

1942 tasting notes

Continuing the oolong theme…

This one surprised me. As I was steeping the first few steeps, and then tasting them, my first thought was, “are you sure this isn’t a sheng?” It had a woody, slightly earthy, slightly mineral scent and flavor, and just a sheng-yness. Must be the aging. As the steeps progressed its TGY character started coming out, with a hint of florals.

This is interesting but not my favorite because of that aging… I’m just not going to love anything that really reminds me of puerh. I’ll have to try this a couple of different ways to see how it plays out in different ways.

I awoke this morning, having made a decision to work my way through the Verdant TOMC bundle from August…finally! I’ve drank Zhu Rong a couple of times (& purchased enough of it to probably keep me set for life), and had cups of Yu Lu & Bai Mu Dan (a couple of days ago). Today I’m working on the Reserve club teas: Wang Yanxin’s Jin Jun Mei, 1st picking Jingshan Green, Haixintang Banzhang Mountain 2007 Stone Pressed Sheng, & this 15 year aged Tieguanyin.

What to say about this tea? I’ve been through several steepings & I would describe it as a very refined cup. The roasting is very light, the taste is gentle & sweet. The floral qualities are alluded to, but not dominant & more like a very light incense, which I can feel as a sensation in my sinuses.

Admittedly, tieguanyin is not one of my favorite teas, although I do enjoy a cup here & there. Having said that, this is a very mild cup, with a ‘pure’ quality to it, as if I were drinking from a mountain spring.

2/23/14 Morning gongfu. 3g/100ml gaiwan. This tea did not show well for me this morning – I’m going to revisit the steeping suggestions on the website before I try it again. There were all kinds of subtle fascinating aromas in the wet leaf that just didn’t make it into the cup at all this morning.