Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Justin

From Yamamotoyama

Product description not available yet.

About Yamamotoyama View company

I learned about this ice brewing method (here: http://www.inpursuitoftea.com/category_s/159.htm) for green tea that I road tested with my good ol’ never ending bag of this stuff. Basically, caffeine and tannins are not as readily extracted in cold water, so brewing tea in cold water over a long period of time yields a sweeter, less stimulating tea.

I dumped four teaspoons of tea in the bottom of my three cup coffee press and filled it with a heaping pile of ice cubes. Then I simply waited for the ice to melt, and the tea was ready. This is obviously a beverage to plan ahead. I made it first thing in the morning and drank it at lunch, but it could just as easily be prepared the night before to be ready at breakfast.

The taste was sweeter, yes, but it was a little over-extracted to me. Perhaps four teaspoons was too much, since once the ice melted, the yield was just a little over two cups of tea. Also, the cubes from my ice maker are quite big and took a long time to melt, which equals a longer steep time. Next time I will try a mix of ice and water to shorten the steep time. I would also love to see how this turns out with crushed ice. Would it be awkward to order a cup of the crushed ice they use at Sonic?

Iced 8 min or more

I’m trying to be a good girl with the budget so I decided to save money on tea. I bought this at a Korean grocery store in Vegas. The first brew was about 1.5 min, which produced a thick and somewhat bitter brew. I tossed it and resteeped for less than a minute and it wasn’t much better. Tossed that. The water was about 160 when I brewed a third time just for kicks. I could better detect the familiar, fresh marine aroma I love but the tea was weak, considering the water temperature and number of brewings. Still, it was cloudy and very green.

I started over with a fresh “perfect teaspoon” and 180F water. Brewed for about a minute. Smells nice but still too bitter for my taste. I know I’ll get used to it, though. Right now, it’s like Ripple to an alcoholic- you know, when almost anything will do.

For the price, this tea is great. Deep steamed, so I steep it quick so it doesn’t get too thick or bitter.

Cofftea

Thick… that makes me crave matcha:)

Light roast flavor, light bitterness, light floral, light lemon, grassy. A good bulk cheap tea that’s suitable for everyday drinking.

This is my everyday sencha, but I only have it iced (steep in fridge 4 hrs-overnight). Lovely ‘buttery’ flavor. Definitely not traditional, but if you add a tiny pinch of saffron when cold-brewing, it’s just amazing.

It is a bit bitter after first steeping but mellows nicely as it cools. And you have to love the taste for the price, around $3 at the Broadway Market in Chicago.

I haveto agree with the other reviews, it is a cheaper tea, but it has a good flavor. One of my favorite to make iced, I use, .5 oz (by weight) and 46 oz (by volume) hot water steep for about 5-6 minutes, dump some ice in it to cool and water it down a bit to taste, play with the brew times if you like, I personally like a strong green tea. It’s inexpensive enough to make daily. It also is a great everyday hot tea.

For the price, this is a very nice tea in terms of flavor and color. This is my everyday stock green tea of choice.

Nice and basic every day sencha. Lacks the pungent “sea weedy” aroma I enjoy from other Japanese greens.

Excellent cheap tea for a college student. This is my go to for green tea!