Organic Miyazaki Oolong Tea Baisen

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kaitlin in Korea

• “I adore this tea. I love to drink oolong tea in the evenings after a long day at work, and I love this oolong as much as I love Wuyi oolong. It has a great full mouth-feel and a nice earthy, sweet,...” Read full tasting note
    kaitm 4 tasting notes
  • “This is the first 'good' or 'expensive' oolong I had. I love this tea! At first I tried steeping it like a sencha (multiple short steeps for one cup, using 3-4 g), but didn't get a balanced taste....” Read full tasting note
    Naamdrager 2 tasting notes

From Yuuki-cha

Baisen is a complex-roast Japanese oolong tea grown organically in very limited amounts in Miyazaki on Kyushu Island, one of the traditional pan-firing tea producing areas of Japan.

This kamairi-style Japanese oolong tea contains a variety of tea breeds from the same small-scale organic tea garden that are very suitable for the production of Japanese oolong tea. By using a few different specific breeds and firing them to three different roast levels gives this oolong tea a rather unique aroma and taste!

What we love about this one is the chocolate-like dry leaf aroma, sweet taste, slight thickness, and subtle fruity notes without astringency. You can enjoy this oolong any time of day. In the morning it is an uplifting beverage and after a meal it is also very enjoyable!

About Yuuki-cha View company

I adore this tea. I love to drink oolong tea in the evenings after a long day at work, and I love this oolong as much as I love Wuyi oolong. It has a great full mouth-feel and a nice earthy, sweet, and slightly floral taste. After the first tasting, I ordered more and stocked up since it’s a limited edition.

This is the first ‘good’ or ‘expensive’ oolong I had. I love this tea! At first I tried steeping it like a sencha (multiple short steeps for one cup, using 3-4 g), but didn’t get a balanced taste. I found out that for me this tea comes out best when steeped like a black, using around 3g for a pot of 2-3 average sized cups, however steeping at 80 C.

The leaves have a dry and soft, mildly earthy smell that reminds most of chocolate. After steeping, the tea tastes very nicely balanced and full. All kinds of taste elements are discernable (most of which I can’t name), drawing your attention to every sip, however coming together perfectly into one. It has that typical oolong malty-earthy sweetness, and every sip finishes with a very subtle and pleasant astringency and almost-bitterness. Even the color of this tea is interesting, which is a full brownish yellow with a very subtle green. A second steep of the same leaves was still enjoyable for me, but it did taste thinner and definitely not as good as the first one.