drank Monster Mash by Adagio Teas

Home – 7:00 PM

Another one from the Adagio Wicked Teas sampler!

I must say, I find the fact that this tea contains candy eyeball sprinkles to be most excellent. I’m generally not a fan of sugary or oily things in tea (like chocolate), but I feel like the cute sprinkles are half the fun with these themed teas. They are mostly for aesthetic purposes, after all! ❤

Anyone else find it weird when companies don’t specify what type of black tea? I do. This one is almost assuredly at least part Assam, it is brisk and already has some bitterness and astringency at a 3-minute steep time.

So this is a caramel and cream black tea. It’s quite decent, the caramel and cream together remind me of a light caramel sauce that you would drizzle on ice cream or apple pie. The base tea is brisk, with dark wood and molasses notes.

There’s some bitterness and astringency at the end of the sip, but it’s not unpleasant. Maybe a little more bitterness than I’d prefer, but I did let the tea cool to room temperature before drinking, so that likely exacerbated the bitter taste.

Not bad, not bad. And the eyeballs! Fantastic.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Caramel, Cream, Molasses, Sweet, Wood

LiberTEAS

Actually, I have contacted Adagio (several years ago, before I took over 52teas, when I was a tea reviewer) about the base that they use for their black teas, and they told me (assured me, even) that it’s a straight Ceylon base. I’m not sure which Ceylon it is, but it is the strongest Ceylon I’ve come across.

Cameron B.

Wow, they use the same base for all of them?

LiberTEAS

I don’t know if they continue to – but back when I had contacted them (again, this was probably at least 5 years ago) they told me that their black base is a Ceylon only base for all their flavored black teas. I was very surprised because the tea was quite astringent and bitter and most of the Ceylon teas that I’ve come across tend to be a little more mild than what I experienced with Adagio – and because I found it so surprising is why I remember it so vividly.

It could have changed since then.

Cameron B.

I agree, that is surprising. Perhaps it’s partially because the leaves are quite broken up.

Comments

LiberTEAS

Cameron B.

Wow, they use the same base for all of them?

LiberTEAS

It could have changed since then.

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 28 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I joined Steepster back in 2014, and was a very active member for a couple of years. I then took a break and have just started to drink tea again (in 2018). I am happy to be back! I have emptied my (virtual) cupboard and will fill it up slowly as I drink more teas!

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and love to use small teapots and Japanese-style cups so I don’t have to wait for a giant mug to cool! My favorite teas tend to be black or green, and often flavored.

Tea Preferences:

Likes:
Chinese black teas
Chinese green teas
Caramel
Maple
Banana
Butterscotch

Dislikes:
Rose
Lavender

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out