Monster Mash

Black Tea, Natural Caramel Flavor, Natural Creme Flavor, Sprinkles
Astringent, Bitter, Caramel, Cream, Molasses, Sweet, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Even though I know Adagio teas aren’t always the best, their kitschy/gimmicky blends always get me. I wanted to try their Wicked Tea Collection last year and when they brought it back this year I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Home – 7:00 PM Another one from the Adagio Wicked Teas sampler! I must say, I find the fact that this tea contains candy eyeball sprinkles to be most excellent. I’m generally not a fan of sugary...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Part of the “Wicked Teas” Halloween sampler – 2018

You’ll be screaming with delight over our mischievously marvelous Monster Mash! Combining both caramel and cream tea flavors with ghastly green jimmies and bone-chilling candy eyeballs. One cup of this brew and you will feel like you’ve risen from the dead.

black tea, natural creme flavor, natural caramel flavor, green jimmies, candy eye balls

About Adagio Teas View company

Even though I know Adagio teas aren’t always the best, their kitschy/gimmicky blends always get me. I wanted to try their Wicked Tea Collection last year and when they brought it back this year I was intrigued again but being Canadian its not the easiest to get ahold of Adagio blends and I didn’t want large portions of their teas as I tend not to love them. Thankfully wonderful people like Cameron B exist and she was kind enough to share samples of the whole collection in our swap. Thank you, Cameron B!

This tea had an adorable candy eyeball mixed with green sprinkles. It was all very cute. Maybe I’m taken in by the cuteness but this actually is not so bad. Better than other Adagio blends which tend to be more bitter/astringent. There is a slight metallic quality here but mostly I’m getting caramel. Not creamy caramel though but more like a less sweet and earthier caramel. A few weeks back I had a caramel that tasted slightly like cardboard and this is slightly reminiscent of that. Now having described it, this doesn’t sound like the description of a tea that’s good. I suppose not so bad is the best I could hope for with most Adagio blends so in comparison I’m alright with this one.

Cameron B.

I had a similar feeling about these, just not bad. And candy eyeballs, squee!

VariaTEA

It’s all worth it for the candy eyeballs. So cute!

Home – 7:00 PM

Another one from the Adagio Wicked Teas sampler!

I must say, I find the fact that this tea contains candy eyeball sprinkles to be most excellent. I’m generally not a fan of sugary or oily things in tea (like chocolate), but I feel like the cute sprinkles are half the fun with these themed teas. They are mostly for aesthetic purposes, after all! ❤

Anyone else find it weird when companies don’t specify what type of black tea? I do. This one is almost assuredly at least part Assam, it is brisk and already has some bitterness and astringency at a 3-minute steep time.

So this is a caramel and cream black tea. It’s quite decent, the caramel and cream together remind me of a light caramel sauce that you would drizzle on ice cream or apple pie. The base tea is brisk, with dark wood and molasses notes.

There’s some bitterness and astringency at the end of the sip, but it’s not unpleasant. Maybe a little more bitterness than I’d prefer, but I did let the tea cool to room temperature before drinking, so that likely exacerbated the bitter taste.

Not bad, not bad. And the eyeballs! Fantastic.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Caramel, Cream, Molasses, Sweet, Wood

LiberTEAS

Actually, I have contacted Adagio (several years ago, before I took over 52teas, when I was a tea reviewer) about the base that they use for their black teas, and they told me (assured me, even) that it’s a straight Ceylon base. I’m not sure which Ceylon it is, but it is the strongest Ceylon I’ve come across.

Cameron B.

Wow, they use the same base for all of them?

LiberTEAS

I don’t know if they continue to – but back when I had contacted them (again, this was probably at least 5 years ago) they told me that their black base is a Ceylon only base for all their flavored black teas. I was very surprised because the tea was quite astringent and bitter and most of the Ceylon teas that I’ve come across tend to be a little more mild than what I experienced with Adagio – and because I found it so surprising is why I remember it so vividly.

It could have changed since then.

Cameron B.

I agree, that is surprising. Perhaps it’s partially because the leaves are quite broken up.