Hotel – 5:30 AM

So, I’m in France. We flew overnight from Atlanta to Paris, and then from Paris to Lyon. Then we rented a car and drove from Lyon to Grenoble, where the company we work for has its headquarters. Needless to say, I’m exhausted. And, of course, awake at this ungodly hour because of the time difference throwing off my sleep schedule. I’m sure I’ll be sleeping normally just in time to head back to the States and do it all over again in a few days. XD

At least every hotel in France has an electric kettle! Or at least, that’s been my experience. I brought my Kusmi Four Red Fruits (one of the only teas I have in sachet form) and a buffet of individually-wrapped sachets that I was keeping in my work desk drawer. It’s mostly Lupicia teas, with some Harney & Sons in there – all free samples from past orders.

I definitely mistreated this poor little sachet. Since it’s not a variable temperature kettle, I just waited a few minutes after boiling, so who knows what the actual water temperature was. And then, after adding the water, I forgot about it for several minutes… Oops…

Luckily, it seems to have come through that rather well, with only a little bitterness present. The jasmine is quite strong here, so I can’t really taste the green tea much, if at all. But it’s not overly perfumey – it definitely tastes like jasmine flowers as opposed to flavoring. It’s very relaxing, which is what I need right now.

I don’t personally feel the need to stock a plain jasmine green tea in my cupboard, as it’s not something I reach for often. Plus I really love the jasmine-spearmint combination of Bird & Blend’s Nearly Nirvana.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Floral, Jasmine, Nectar, Sweet

5 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Olive

If you have the opportunity to go to Dijon, check out “Le comptoir des colonies” – a very nice tea room which is always full haha! I used to go there whenever I could afford it back when I was a student there, the service is nice and they’ve got cool teas and pretty awesome home-made cakes!

Comments

Olive

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas