Sample Sipdown! (41)

Ugh… I don’t know why, but I feel so tired this morning. It’s 10:30, and I still want to go back to sleep! XD Hopefully more tea will start to perk me up a bit.

This tea actually reminds me of a Taiwanese black. It has noticeable waffle-like cinnamon and honey notes, along with a nicely fruity flavor. It does also have the thick and satisfying malty sweet potato and bread notes that I would expect from a Yunnan black. There’s a touch of savory flavor, along with a smooth and mellow earthy undertone. And perhaps a wisp of a floral note at the end of the sip?

I guess I don’t know enough about Keemun to recognize which notes are characteristic of this type of tea… Luckily, I went crazy when TeaVivre had their samples sale, so I now have several of their Keemun varieties to try!

Anyway, this is a thick and satisfying Chinese black that makes me think of soft toasted bread drizzled with honey and perhaps a touch of apricot or plum preserves, and sprinkled with cinnamon.

A definite nom.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Dried Fruit, Earth, Floral, Honey, Jam, Malt, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Thick

i did the same thing even though i’ve tried a lot of their blacks already…gave me an excuse to just have small quantities of a lot of straight blacks in my cupboard :)

Cameron B.

I think that makes perfect sense when you can get a 14g sample for $1-2! Variety is the spice of life.

I’ve actually tried most of them already too, but at this point it feels like it was in another life! XD

tea-sipper

I LOVE to have smaller quantities of many teas, so this was the ideal sale for me. If it wasn’t just on the black teas I would have been in REAL trouble. Of course, Teavivre probably just wanted everyone to get addicted to their teas through their samples all over again. :D

Comments

Cameron B.

tea-sipper

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas