Keemun Aromatic Snail Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Floral, Honey, Honeysuckle, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Cherry, Green Wood, Molasses, Hay
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “Home – 11:30 AM I was really feeling like a straight black tea, so I allowed myself to select one from my pile of unopened samples. What a charming name – I’m picturing a cute little snail wearing...” Read full tasting note
  • “164/365 I finished off my bag of LP’s This Keemun is BS yesterday, and so I had to replace it with another keemun. This one is malty, with a streak of juicy fruitiness. It’s not astringent, as...” Read full tasting note
  • “OK, that was an interesting tea. I mean, it looks interesting: nice little snails. Not much of an aroma though, and the taste is very mild and smooth. Some cherry, young green wood and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Purchased a sample. Prepared in a gongfu session with a porcelain gaiwan. Followed Teavivre’s steeping instructions: flash rinse, 10 seconds, 15, 15, 25, 35, 60. I was not expecting to be blasted...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

The Zhuye (槠叶) tea trees for making this tea grow in tea gardens located 400m above sea level and only a single bud with one or two tender leaves is allowed to make this tea. The premium fresh leaves picked from Zhuye bush offer a clear, golden yellow color and a smooth, mellow and slightly sweet taste. This tea has a lot going on flavor wise – it has a long-lasting roasted sweet potato flavor which is easily accessible. The brewed leaves of Keemun Aromatic Snail Tea show purple bronze color and when touched with finger they are soft, delicate and elastic.

With spiral twisted leaves like snail, Keemun aromatic snail black tea is characterized by its long-lasting roasted sweet potato flavor and sweet, rich taste and durable infusing resistance.

About Teavivre View company

Home – 11:30 AM

I was really feeling like a straight black tea, so I allowed myself to select one from my pile of unopened samples. What a charming name – I’m picturing a cute little snail wearing cologne and dressed in tiny formalwear… XD

I’ve followed the parameters for this tea from Teavivre’s website. I will say that this is less tea than I would generally use for a pot, and the temperature is extremely low (185°F for a black tea). But I want to try it the recommended way at least once!

Next time I would definitely use more tea, and possibly also increase the temperature just a bit. I thought I remembered Keemun being a strong black tea with a malty and earthy taste, sort of like the Chinese answer to Assam. This is definitely not like that. This actually reminds me more of a Yunnan black tea, or even a Taiwanese black tea.

The color is quite light. There’s a lovely baked bread flavor, and the malty sweet potato that is characteristic of Yunnan. I taste a bit of caraway here as well, which always makes me think of Fujian black teas. They weren’t kidding when they called this one aromatic. It has some lovely light and sweet floral notes – I’m thinking honeysuckle. And at the end of the sip, there’s just a touch of cinnamon honey, reminding me a bit of a Taiwanese black tea.

This is an interesting one. It’s light but flavorful and has components that remind me of many different Chinese and Taiwanese black teas. I’m not sure I would choose this to stock in my cupboard though, as really it’s a bit too light for me, and I think I would rather stock a characteristic example of each variety of Chinese black tea.

I bet this would be really well-suited to gongfu preparation as well!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Floral, Honey, Honeysuckle, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

164/365

I finished off my bag of LP’s This Keemun is BS yesterday, and so I had to replace it with another keemun. This one is malty, with a streak of juicy fruitiness. It’s not astringent, as such, but slightly drying, and perhaps not quite as smooth and jammy as I’d hoped it would be.

It more than lives up to the “aromatic” part of its name, with a beautifully floral scent. I don’t get a lot of floral in the flavour, except maybe very slightly in the aftertaste. I’m glad of that, though, since floral in general isn’t something I particularly enjoy in tea.

I like this one, but I’ve definitely had keemun I prefer. It’s a bit too middle of the road to really stand out, but pleasant enough. Probably not a repurchase.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

OK, that was an interesting tea. I mean, it looks interesting: nice little snails. Not much of an aroma though, and the taste is very mild and smooth. Some cherry, young green wood and bird-cherry. The flavor is quite distinct and it really…non-Keemunish. It also lingers nicely.

So, I don’t know. It was a sample and this tea really calls for being tried several times before a valid opinion can be formed. It certainly not a bold breakfast tea, but it also is not a tea for slow attentive sipping – the taste is not that complex. It is probably a drink for a special mood, and I do not know how often I will be in a mood for bird cherry or cherry.

Flavors: Cherry, Green Wood

I was not expecting to be blasted by such a cocoa bean-like aroma from the dry leaf. So sweet, a touch bitter. The heated leaf uncannily resembles those times in which my house is filled with the smell of brownies in the oven, then you take those brownies a douse them with chocolate syrup. Hit with hot water, the leaf initially smells of sweet potato skin, clove, and malt. Later in the session, the aroma comes back to cocoa.

The liquor is a beautifully clear golden orange and has a full body and smooth texture. The flavor profile doesn’t undergo change throughout the session. From the first infusion to the end, I taste honey, molasses, and sweet potato (no skin), leaving me with a grain-like aftertaste and a slightly dry mouth.

This is another excellent hongcha offering from Teavivre. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

This selection has an interesting name. I’ve never associated snails with tea before. I do like escargot, so why not? I am now curious. I need to do some research to learn how this tea got its name.

When I opened the silver sample package, the smell inside was very rich, sweet, earthy, and pleasant. I steeped the full black leaves at 185 degrees for five minutes as recommended on the package.

The brewed result was a bright gold color. The aroma was like SWEET sweet potatoes.

I have to say, this was the first time I could easily identify the flavor of sweet potatoes in a tea. Although prominent, this taste was congenially complimented by attributes of molasses and honey. These flavors blended harmoniously. They also seemed to desire to be individually acknowledged. I could taste them moving in and out of the flavor forefront.

Initially my palate thought there might be a twinge of astringency present. However, the old taste buds settled into a nice smooth ride by the third sip. The brief after taste also presented nothing negative to upset the experience.

This is a smooth and amiable black tea for morning consumption without a blowtorch. If you need to be slapped awake when you start your day (as I often do), you might want to save this one for lunch. Either way, you’ve got yourself a winner!

Flavors: Honey, Molasses, Sweet Potatoes

What I found surprising about this tea was that it didn’t fit the flavor-profile that I typically associate with Keemun—there’s no smokey aftertaste. Instead I found it to be rich, full-flavored, and sweet with a slight floralness that hangs on the tongue. It was really unexpected and before I knew it my cup was gone. Before today if you had asked me if I enjoyed Keemun I’d likely have told you that it wasn’t one of my favorites, even though I do occasionally fix a cup, but this tea really has changed my opinion about what a good-quality Keemun should be.

You can read the full review on my blog:

Many thanks to Angel for sending me samples of this wonderful tea. I was initially hesitant, anticipating smoke from this Keemun, but jackpot. No smoke. Whew. The dry leaves are wispy and curled. Delicate. I’ve had this twice now—both yesterday morning and now—both only steeped once both times, so for now, I can’t say how it would resteep.

Keemun Aromatic Snail has a thinner mouthfeel and minimal astringency. I don’t pick up on sweet potato so much. It’s sooner grainier than potato-y to my palate. Starchy, nonetheless. The grains are drizzled in honey.

This makes me sad that I still haven’t tried the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea (Golden Tip) and Superfine Tan Yang Gong Fu Black that I ordered a year-and-a-half ago. Luckily, they are still sealed, but it breaks my heart that they’re packed away just sitting there. Had I known that finding a steady job and getting my own place would take this long, I would have rescued them from the box last time I was at my mom’s house in the middle of nowhere last winter, since they’re still there. I’ve been craving those kinds of teas lately too, so this Keemun has really helped!

Taking a break from exploring Clock Town in Termina. Decided to try one of my Teavivre samples. (Liked the spiral leaves.) The brew smells so good. There is a scent of sweet potatoes, and some honey. It has a nice honey flavour. And the sweet potato is still present. Very good. Goes well with banana bread.

Flavors: Honey, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

A sample from a recent tiny order! Thanks again for everything, Teavivre! This tea was intriguing, with the leaves of the silky, dark black, curly type. The fragrance of the dry leaves is just like the flavor: like a sweet, smooth molasses with hints of honey. Also with hints of tanginess that I have been loving in teas lately. One of my favorite types of tea! The unraveled leaves in the infuser are very big. The flavor strength is medium, neither too strong or light. Definitely not as strong flavored as most ‘snail’ types of tea that I’ve tried before. And definitely not smoky like I’d expect keemun to be. The second steep was more mild flavored. I wish there had been more levels or detail or depth to the flavor, but maybe steeping it differently would result in the way I wanted it.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// 17 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Harvest: 2015

Flavors: Honey, Molasses

Water: 12oz

Leaves: tiny curled glossy leaves

Amount:1.5 tsp (light) 2 tsp (strong)

Steep: 3m

Aroma: Classic black tea

Color: golden yellow, copper (light), red copper (strong)

Clarity: Great

Taste: The really cool thing about this tea are the leaves they had a glossy finish to them. I haven’t encountered this with any other teas. I decided to do something different with this tea brewing it using two different methods dealing with light & strong flavors. Reverse method the first cup i went with a strong brew using the information i found on the Steepster blog “Tips for Measuring Dry Tea Leaf” which stated using 1.5tsp or 2tsp for 10/12oz. As stated i went with 12oz the cups was a red copper color, the texture was was very smooth mouth feel. The flavor was light but a bit bitter. On to the light brew the color was brighter it starts off as a golden yellow then deepens as more tea enters the cup. Tast wise it was the same as the previous cup but with no bitterness. It was fun trying out a different method with this tea. which lead to a more in-depth review.

Here is a mini behind the scenes story that took place as i was making the second brew:

I already had added my 1tsp into my french press then i measured out my 1/2tsp. once done i was about to add the leaves into the press when some how my left hand bumped the spoon sending tea all over the kitchen counter. so i had to clean up then re-measure it.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML