drank Special Dark by Mandala Tea

Thank you, Mandala Team, for making my first purchase quick and painless, and for adding extra samples! I haven’t branched out to new companies in a long, long time.

This is delicious. It’s sweet, creamy and cocoa tinged, with a nice finishing accent of pepper spice and sour chips (also smoke in some of the steeps). Smooth cocoa notes come out thicker at the end as it cools a little.

It’s also a relatively forgiving steeper: 1tbsp, first steep boiling for 30sec, in a mug (wait, is this thing more than 8oz?). Second steep 174F (ahhh..nooo!), for 1min. Third steep, boiling 1min (this is gold).

This is turning out to be a rocky session, but the tea plows through all the challenges I present it. Thank you, tea; I’ll treat you (and all puerh) better next time.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Earth, Honey

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Fjellrev

Oh wow, you actually made pu-erh sound good to me haha.

JustJames

love love love this tea!

CrowKettle

I picked this one up because of you and all the people you shared it with JustJames! :)

Fjellrev, this puerh is magic. One of the steeps smelled a little fishy but it never translated to the taste.

Comments

Fjellrev

Oh wow, you actually made pu-erh sound good to me haha.

JustJames

love love love this tea!

CrowKettle

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland