drank Gold Rush by DAVIDsTEA

Time to start getting ready for work soon…

Really want to call in sick, but can’t afford to again. At least I have tomorrow off, right!? Right! And dentist Monday morning. Ick.

I was inspired to cold brew this one based on a review aisling of tea did on it. Or, I think it was aisling. It’s possible it was her sweet wifey de – sometimes I get their reviews mixed up, and with “sick brain” right now I don’t trust my memory too much. In the review, aisling/de basically called out how expensive this would be as a cold brew, and I definitely don’t disagree with them – but I couldn’t get over how delicious it was tasting in my head, so I had to actually brew it up just the once to sate my curiosity.

And it was really, really good! Basically this super sweet, rich butterscotch and coconut drink! Man, I really, really love mulberries! I can’t believe back in my ‘tea newb’ days I hated the way this one smelled/tasted. It reminds me, a lot, of the Butterscotch Schnapps everyone here on Steepster knows I’m so fond of.

But yeah, just reiterating – damn this was expensive when you think in terms of how much 50g costs, how heavy the leaf is, and how much leaf is spent up by cold brewing. So this was just a one off “treat” and NOT something to make a habit of, for sure.

Plunkybug

Mmmm, I’ll have to try cold brewing this. Still have some of my 50g free from FS plan left.

Kristal

I’ve been wanting to try this one for quite some time! I may need to wait till I get some free tea from my frequent steeper points though…

Roswell Strange

Yeah, I’ve used my freebie tea on this one so much; unless their’s something else I really need to stock up on or want to try this is my default freebie tea ‘purchase’.

Kristal

I always try and get the best bang for my buck so I usually go with Matcha. Last time though I went with butterfly Jasmine (nearly $20/50grams!) and I love it :)

Anlina

Heh, I got matcha and butterfly jasmine too. I figured I might as well get teas that cost more than I really want to spend.

Roswell Strange

Oolong Supreme for me last time! One I wanted to try, but costs a ton too; figure if I don’t like it I can send some out to other Steepster people who, like me, are hesitant to buy it ’cause of the price.

Plunkybug

I wanted Oolong Supreme with my first because it is $19.50 (ouch!), and they were out, so I got Gold Rush instead of waiting to see if/when it was back in stock, and then they got Oolong Supreme back, so I go more, and shortly after that, made it to my next 50g, but I already had both Gold Rush and Oolong Supreme, so I ended up getting Mighty Aphrodite…not the best bang for my buck, but something I’ll drink up.

Comments

Plunkybug

Anlina

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Old Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA