Caramel Monkey Bread Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Calendula Petals, Natural Flavours, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Rooibos
Caramel, Pastries, Sweet, Cinnamon, Frosting, Rooibos, Wood, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Cake
Caffeine Free
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “This one tastes very similar to the cinnamon roll one, just without the icing element. The rooibos base they use is different from any other I’ve tried before, and while I do like it, I don’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ok, so apparently I got more of this. I was browsing my tea drawer and found another pouch of this. I just wanted to post an update, I still really like this. I came up with an idea for a really...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample Sipdown! (54) From Kawaii433! I lowered the temperature a bit for this based on the suggestion of my fellow Steepsters. It smells good, with nice buttery cinnamon notes! I can taste a little...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yup, tastes like Caramel Monkey Bread to me. :) 4g, 195°F, more than 8 minutes steep. Cinnamon, biscuits, bread, brown sugar notes. I think this is like the 3rd or 4th time (ever) I’ve tried a...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Anne’s blend
From our 2018 12Teas of Christmas Box!

This is one of the final teas (tisanes) that Frank crafted during his time with 52Teas and I have a wee confession – I hadn’t tried it until a day or two before I blended this batch. I had the tea in my stash – but it was still sealed … never opened! At the time when I received this tea in my subscription package, I was preparing to take over 52Teas: testing samples from my wholesale sources, setting up the website and blending teas. I was so busy back then I was running around like a crazy woman with her hair on fire and to be honest, I really didn’t have time to sit back and enjoy a cuppa. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I certainly enjoyed most of the samples that I was sent by my wholesale sources, and I definitely was enjoying the teas that I was blending and then taste testing – but I didn’t have any time left to sit back and enjoy a cuppa that wasn’t directly related to taking over the operations of 52Teas.

So I stashed this tea away in my tea cupboard and – forgot about it! Yes, I forgot about this blend completely until someone mentioned that they’d like this tea to be reblended as part of this year’s 12 Teas of Christmas box. So a few weeks ago, I dug out that pouch and tried it out before I attempted to reblend it – so that I could get a fairly good idea of what I was going to do with this blend.

And as I sit here now, sipping on the results of that blending session, I must say that I’m a little bit impressed with myself. I often worry that I’m just not good enough to be a tea blender – but it’s times like now that I realize that I AM good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, I’m worthy of my self-appointed title of “Mad Tea Artist” because this is REALLY GOOD. It’s sweet, caramel-y, with a nice cinnamon note and a bread-y note that tastes a lot like … well, it tastes like freshly-baked monkey bread!

Frank’s original description for this tisane went like this:

Oooey, gooey, caramel monkey bread is something I have a serious weakness for, and yet, can’t afford to spend my Weight Watcher’s points on. So instead, I made a rooibos blend that tastes like caramel monkey bread! It’s caffeine-free, delicious hot or iced, and best of all: zero points. =)

Since I just tasted Frank’s original blend a few weeks ago, I can say that this tastes pretty much like the original. This might have a little more cinnamon to it, then again, the cinnamon from the original could be weakened a bit from age. This might have a wee bit more caramel flavor to it – again – age could be a factor.

This tisane is organic, it’s naturally caffeine-free, VEGAN, gluten-free and allergen-free – and it’s OH so yummy!

organic ingredients: rooibos, cinnamon, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

This one tastes very similar to the cinnamon roll one, just without the icing element. The rooibos base they use is different from any other I’ve tried before, and while I do like it, I don’t prefer it to other rooibos. The second steep of this was tastier and more flavorful than the first steep, somehow. I did like it, and I liked how the flavor lingers. I couldn’t taste caramel specifically, moreso just the rooibos, maybe some breadiness, maybe some spice. I’m rating it pretty highly because even though it’s not my favorite (in fact I was finishing up my beloved S&V almond rooibos right beside it – some of the best rooibos ever), I did have quite a nice time drinking it.

tea-sipper

I’ll have to try the S&V almond rooibos. Somehow I haven’t yet. haha.

AJRimmer

I wish I weren’t out of it! I’m a huge rooibos fan, so it did not last long at all in my cupboard. It doesn’t taste like almond, but it’s a quality rooibos.

Ok, so apparently I got more of this. I was browsing my tea drawer and found another pouch of this. I just wanted to post an update, I still really like this. I came up with an idea for a really good description of this. It’s like a Cinnabon, if instead of cinnamon, it is caramel. THAT is what this tastes like. It is mighty tasty. I would highly recommend this if it ever gets reblended. I know I’m gonna get more. I am pretty certain that this last pouch is all I have left. Boo.

Flavors: Caramel, Pastries, Sweet

Kittenna

Haha, I love when I’ve forgotten I picked up more of something! Assuming it’s a good something, that is.

Sample Sipdown! (54)

From Kawaii433!

It smells good, with nice buttery cinnamon notes!

I can taste a little bit of the same cinnamon and pastry notes as well, but they’re extremely light. They’re definitely overpowered by the rooibos base.

I may have just been unlucky with my sample, as there are other reviewers who loved this one. Hmm…

Flavors: Cinnamon, Frosting, Pastries, Rooibos, Wood

Kawaii433

It was very light. My steep time was 8+ minutes which sometimes mean hour for me lol. I have more and I’ll try again and time it :)

Yup, tastes like Caramel Monkey Bread to me. :)

4g, 195°F, more than 8 minutes steep.

Cinnamon, biscuits, bread, brown sugar notes. I think this is like the 3rd or 4th time (ever) I’ve tried a Roobios tea. ^^

Update: The second steeping of 10 min. was really good too.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cinnamon

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more 4 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Realised today that the first time i made this, i didn’t leaf it enough, so was hoping that today’s cup would be more up my alley. Sadly this one just isn’t really my thing. All i seem to get is a cup of cinnamon tea. Will try again and see how it goes.

tea-sipper

I think the caramel might be very sensitive. I had this last night. It seemed to work for me with a full mug, one teaspoon, water cooled from boiling for 10 minutes, and only a minute or 1 1/2 minute steep.

hmmm i’ll have to try that

11th Day of Christmas Teas

I seem to have poor consistency luck with rooibos and honeybush. The first cup was kind of medicinal and thin on the caramel and bread, the second cup was the most heavenly of caramel syrup cakes to make angels weep, and the last cup was just good but not on that level.

I’ll assume that the average of those experiences means this is a pretty decent rooibos blend but I’d have to try more and play around with my rooibos steeping parameters before really judging it (that’s my way of saying I’d probably buy more if I wasn’t on a tea buying hiatus).

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Cinnamon

12 Belated Teas of Christmas – #11
Drank this one “blind” – it tastes to me like an apple pie tea, complete with crust and delicious cinnamon. Actually – I just figured out what exactly it tastes like – a caramel apple blossom! I haven’t had Caramel Monkey Bread before, but I have to imagine that this is pretty true to the flavour. Honestly? I’m very impressed. This is really well- flavoured. It’s rare that I find a rooibos I actually want to drink, but this falls into that category. This isn’t any old cinnamon tea; the caramel really elevates it. Delicious.

Kawaii433

Oh good :). I received some of this in a package yesterday, and haven’t tried it yet.

11th tea of Christmas

ahhh, I’m late with this bc I got distracted bc we do all our celebrating on Christmas Eve and I was so tired, plus I brought Percy-cat home and it was an Experience and maybe I didn’t really plan and I should have just isolated her in a room on her own instead of letting her free roam. ahahaha. lesson learned. she’s on her own now and I hope that she will eat!

ANYWAY, I was quite excited about this one because I love monkey bread…but um. not this blend. all I taste is the rooibos and…I’d prefer not to. I do taste the caramel and the cinnamon-y flavours, but to me the rooibos overpowers it. MAYBE it’s just because I’m not the biggest fan (or a fan at all) of red rooibos. I think I can probably pass this one to someone who would enjoy it more than me.

tea-sipper

Ah! This was another blend I loved from Frank which I wanted Anne to reblend! I will buy it from you, if you’d like.

tea-sipper

Also, I’m sure Percy-cat will eventually realize how awesome her new home is and how much care you will give her!

I have made monkey bread a few different times now, sometimes filled with chocolate and cream cheese, sometimes just rolled in cinnamon sugar, but never have I made a caramel monkey bread. Sounds pretty tasty though.

This tea I have been putting off drinking tbh because I fear the rooibos. Turns out my fear was unfounded because the base is only slightly present. Mostly I am getting the sweet cinnamon sugar element so often associated with monkey bread. There is also an underlying breadiness sneaking around in the cup that helps sell the monkey bread idea. I don’t know if I’m getting caramel so much as I am a sugar/honey note. With that said, I don’t know how necessary caramel is in this blend since a lot is going on already.

I’m not sure what monkey bread is, but this tastes like cinnamon and woodsy rooibos. Maybe a cinnamon roll if I close my eyes and imagine hard enough. It gets sweeter as it cools and ends up actually tasting very cinnamon roll-y. Not bad. Thanks for sending me some of this, CheshireEyes!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Sweet

rosebudmelissa

Monkey bread is small balls of dough dipped in butter, then a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. The balls are then pressed together in a pan and baked. I had a friend in college who loved making monkey bread.

Kaylee

Ok, that sounds delicious. Now I want to try monkey bread!

mtchyg

If you have not had monkey bread, I highly recommend locating someone who is adept at making them and paying them large sums of money to make some for you. My aunt is one such person and she always brought a large batch of it to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing.

rosebudmelissa

Or if you like to bake, find a recipe online. I’ve never made it myself, but I don’t think it’s too difficult.

Kaylee

I am a super duper bad cook/baker. Maybe I can talk my partner into it…

Angrboda

You guys and your monkey bread! I’d never heard about it before either, but you all inspired me to look it up. This lead to the mis-use of a couple of different recipes and the construction of my own. Needs a bit of product-tweaking, I think, but still! That stuff, it’s like a ginormous cinnamon bun! \o/