Caramel Monkey Bread Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Cinnamon, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “I have made monkey bread a few different times now, sometimes filled with chocolate and cream cheese, sometimes just rolled in cinnamon sugar, but never have I made a caramel monkey bread. Sounds...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m not sure what monkey bread is, but this tastes like cinnamon and woodsy rooibos. Maybe a cinnamon roll if I close my eyes and imagine hard enough. It gets sweeter as it cools and ends up...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was one of the last 52Teas blends from Frank and it is pretty darn accurate with flavor! Whatever that unique flavor is that ONLY monkey bread has? This tea has it too! It’s tough to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Is monkey bread an American thing or something? Because I honestly have never heard of anything like it until I saw this tea. The dominant flavour is more honey than caramel to me but regardless...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Oooey, gooey, caramel monkey bread is something I have a serious weakness for, and yet, can’t afford to spend my Weight Watcher’s points on. So instead, I made a rooibos blend that tastes like caramel monkey bread! It’s caffeine-free, delicious hot or iced, and best of all: zero points. =)

Ingredients: Rooibos, Cinnamon chips, marigold petals, organic flavors

About 52teas View company

I have made monkey bread a few different times now, sometimes filled with chocolate and cream cheese, sometimes just rolled in cinnamon sugar, but never have I made a caramel monkey bread. Sounds pretty tasty though.

This tea I have been putting off drinking tbh because I fear the rooibos. Turns out my fear was unfounded because the base is only slightly present. Mostly I am getting the sweet cinnamon sugar element so often associated with monkey bread. There is also an underlying breadiness sneaking around in the cup that helps sell the monkey bread idea. I don’t know if I’m getting caramel so much as I am a sugar/honey note. With that said, I don’t know how necessary caramel is in this blend since a lot is going on already.

I’m not sure what monkey bread is, but this tastes like cinnamon and woodsy rooibos. Maybe a cinnamon roll if I close my eyes and imagine hard enough. It gets sweeter as it cools and ends up actually tasting very cinnamon roll-y. Not bad. Thanks for sending me some of this, CheshireEyes!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Sweet

rosebudmelissa

Monkey bread is small balls of dough dipped in butter, then a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. The balls are then pressed together in a pan and baked. I had a friend in college who loved making monkey bread.

Kaylee

Ok, that sounds delicious. Now I want to try monkey bread!

mtchyg

If you have not had monkey bread, I highly recommend locating someone who is adept at making them and paying them large sums of money to make some for you. My aunt is one such person and she always brought a large batch of it to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing.

rosebudmelissa

Or if you like to bake, find a recipe online. I’ve never made it myself, but I don’t think it’s too difficult.

Kaylee

I am a super duper bad cook/baker. Maybe I can talk my partner into it…

Angrboda

You guys and your monkey bread! I’d never heard about it before either, but you all inspired me to look it up. This lead to the mis-use of a couple of different recipes and the construction of my own. Needs a bit of product-tweaking, I think, but still! That stuff, it’s like a ginormous cinnamon bun! \o/

This was one of the last 52Teas blends from Frank and it is pretty darn accurate with flavor! Whatever that unique flavor is that ONLY monkey bread has? This tea has it too! It’s tough to describe that monkey bread flavor, but both the scent of the rooibos from the pouch and the flavor in the cup has it. Liquified monkey bread! The rooibos somehow doesn’t result in a very red cup, but the rooibos is a great choice to pair with this flavor. The second steep was even more like monkey bread and full of flavor. With the second steep I noticed a hint of cinnamon that wasn’t in the first cup. So this gets a rating of 90 for being super accurate monkey bread! One of the most accurate 52teas flavors in a while.
Steep #1 // just boiled // 1-2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // few minute steep

1908 tasting notes

The dominant flavour is more honey than caramel to me but regardless the tea has a pleasent mild sweetness. There’s a nice, subtle hint of cinnamon though I’m not really getting very much bread or baked goods flavour unfortunately. Not bad for a red rooibos blend, but I don’t think I’ll be clamoring for LiberTeas to reblend it.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Marzipan

It’s like a super sticky gooey pull a part bread.

gmathis

Lots of variations but you start with a mixture of butter pats, brown sugar and (the way I learned to make it) a packet of butterscotch instant pudding. Half in the bottom of a Bundt pan, throw in frozen yeast roll dough balls, sprinkle the rest of the goop on top, let it thaw and rise overnight, bake for breakfast. There won’t be any left over for lunch :)

K S

Ooooh, now I want some.

Marzipan

The Pioneer Woman has a good recipe for it.