Chocolate, Hazelnut & Strawberry Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Cocoa Husks, Cocoa Nibs, Freeze Dried Strawberries, Organic Honeybush
Chocolate, Hazelnut, Strawberry, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Honey, Mineral, Nuts, Nutty, Sweet, Wet Wood, Wood, Cream, Peat, Smooth
Caffeine Free
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Arby

• “I was in my kitchen and noticed a plastic bag hung on one of the cabinet handles. “That’s odd. What could that be?” Some tea my friend Sara gave me in May, which I had misplaced. You see, I am...” Read full tasting note
  • “Admittedly, i never seem to really enjoy honeybush from 52 teas. Not sure what it is, but it rarely works for me. Happily though, this one seems to be doing something right. it’s more chocolate,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Last year I passed a few blends to friends and tea-pals after just sniffing them. This year, I’ve decided to at least try every tea in this year’s 12 Teas of Christmas box. Honeybush AND sunflower...” Read full tasting note
  • “Last night it was 79 degrees in my room and it was 77 when I woke up. I had the blessed window open, so I don’t know why it was so hot. I didn’t sleep much so I got up late for church, feeling...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for June 6, 2015!

For this tea, I was inspired by the oh-so-decadent act of dipping strawberries into warm Nutella. (YUM!)

I started with my organic honeybush and added organic cacao shells and nibs; organic roasted, salted sunflower seeds (for that nutty appearance and just a hint of salt) and organic freeze-dried strawberries. The result is a quite fantastic!

Chocolate-y, nutty, strawberry goodness!

organic ingredients: honeybush, cacao nibs, cacao shells, roasted salted sunflower seeds, freeze-dried strawberries and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

You see, I am absent-minded, forgetful, a bit of a slob, and a pack rat. I knew that tea must be around somewhere; I would never throw out a bag without inspecting its contents.

So I chose this one first, because it sounds delicious.

It smells of strawberries and carob.

It tastes like strawberries, hazelnut, and a little like chocolate. I wish the chocolate were a bit stronger. But wow, this is a good combination. Do they make strawberry Nutella? Cause now I think it would be great on toast.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Strawberry

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

You found it, a Christmas miracle!

By the way, you actually purchased that one and the Pear Chai. I ordered them with a 52Teas order I made at the time to save the shipping and just delivered them to you at AO.

Todd

I did? Well thank you, past me! You have good taste.
And thanks for the delivery.

Admittedly, i never seem to really enjoy honeybush from 52 teas. Not sure what it is, but it rarely works for me. Happily though, this one seems to be doing something right. it’s more chocolate, strawberry with a hint of hazelnut for me…but thankfully i’m not getting that honeybush taste that is jarring. yep, i can get behind this one.

Honeybush AND sunflower seeds? Nope.

While I understand the use of sunflower seeds in a tea blend, I do think they have their own distinctive taste. So, instead of just contributing an ambiguous nutty flavor, they make the tea taste and smell like, well, sunflower seeds. The chocolate flavor is there but only just. I don’t really discern any hazelnut flavor, but my taste buds may be overwhelmed by the sunflower seeds. The strawberry is present at the tail end of every sip. Black, I don’t find it to be particularly sweet. It might’ve been sweeter had their been more strawberries and fewer sunflower seeds. A bit of raw sugar helped me finish my cuppa, but I won’t be finishing my sample bag.

Last night it was 79 degrees in my room and it was 77 when I woke up. I had the blessed window open, so I don’t know why it was so hot. I didn’t sleep much so I got up late for church, feeling slimy with sweat. I ran around all day today packing up stuff at the old place to bring to my room at mom’s. Pretty soon I won’t be able to move in here! My brother gallantly watched me parading in and out with multiple loads, and he never offered to help. Ggrrrrr. Of course, I never asked for help. Maybe he thought I could handle it.

Anyway, a few more loads to bring home and then I get to start packing for putting stuff in storage.

Last night was hotter than blazes but tonight it is comfortable. I decided to have a cup of hot tea. I thought this one was done a while ago, but I was digging around in the tea box for an evening cup and this one floated up to the top. Nummy. I will miss you, delicious tea, but I have lots more to sip down before fall, and I’m sure Anne and Amethyst will come up with more teas to entice me to break my No Tea Buying vow.

52Teas

We’ll definitely try. :)

Grab bag from a while ago! I’ve tried this a couple times and there is such an abundance of cocoa shells (YAY!) that this results in the main flavor of the blend. Nothing really hazelnut or strawberry about it, despite seeing strawberry pieces. I’m not sure if the strawberry pieces are the only strawberry element here. I don’t mind a cocoa honeybush blend though… it could be worse. :D
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// few minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5 minute steep

Delicious, as always. I’m almost out, so I’m trying to weight saving it for a special moment or choosing it over all the other teas in my cabinet because it is so tasty. So much hazelnut and cream, then that cocoa blends with the hazelnut. mmmm

Flavors: Cocoa, Cream, Hazelnut, Nutty, Peat, Smooth, Sweet

This smells awesome and makes for a lovely tea smoothie. I don’t actually have more details though since I might have almost chugged the smoothie. Whoops.

This is this week’s tea of the week: I was inspired to create this blend because one of my favorite summertime indulgences is heating up a little bit (or sometimes a lot!) of chocolate hazelnut spread (ie: Nutella or Justin’s – which I prefer) and then dipping strawberries in the warmed chocolate-y hazelnut-y goo.

I’m happy with the result of my attempt to recreate those flavors in this tea. Now, mind you, it IS a tea and not the thick, wonderful goodness that is that chocolate hazelnut spread – so you’re not going to get that same thick, rich texture that is almost as satisfying as the flavor. But the flavors are definitely there.

I like this without sugar too – but just a little bit of sugar (I use about 1/2 teaspoon of raw sugar) will enhance the overall chocolate/hazelnut/strawberry flavor.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Nutty, Strawberry, Sweet

AllanK

How much tea is included in your large size on this? Doesn’t specify on the website.

52Teas

Oh – thanks for alerting me to that! 50g is in the large – and I just realized that the price is wrong for the large too! I’m still getting used to the switch-over to the metric system!

Fjellrev

What a wonderful-sounding flavour combination.