Chocolate, Hazelnut & Strawberry Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Cocoa Husks, Cocoa Nibs, Freeze Dried Strawberries, Organic Honeybush
Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Hazelnut, Nuts, Nutty, Peanut, Strawberry, Sweet, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Mineral, Wet Wood, Wood, Cream, Peat, Smooth
Caffeine Free
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Arby

• “This one smells and tastes so peppery for some reason. As it cools, the other flavor that appears is NUTS – very unmissable, unmistakable nuts, but the pepper flavor is quite strange and out of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m definitely getting the chocolate, strawberry, and hazelnut pretty distinctly, which is impressive. I just don’t think the combination is for me. The nuttiness seems to be combating with the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m a bit behind in my advent teas, as this is today’s tea, and I haven’t done write-ups for the last two… but I’ve been working on sipdowns to keep my inventory under control and today I finished...” Read full tasting note
  • “#adventageddon Day Nineteen – 5/6 I’m pretty sure I’ve never had this tea before but apparently it’s popular enough to get voted back as a reblend and it sounds pretty awesome conceptually, so I...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for June 6, 2015!

For this tea, I was inspired by the oh-so-decadent act of dipping strawberries into warm Nutella. (YUM!)

I started with my organic honeybush and added organic cacao shells and nibs; organic roasted, salted sunflower seeds (for that nutty appearance and just a hint of salt) and organic freeze-dried strawberries. The result is a quite fantastic!

Chocolate-y, nutty, strawberry goodness!

organic ingredients: honeybush, cacao nibs, cacao shells, roasted salted sunflower seeds, freeze-dried strawberries and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

This one smells and tastes so peppery for some reason. As it cools, the other flavor that appears is NUTS – very unmissable, unmistakable nuts, but the pepper flavor is quite strange and out of place. I don’t know what’s causing it. The nuttiness is fun, but I wish there were other flavors in there complementing it other than pepper.

I’m definitely getting the chocolate, strawberry, and hazelnut pretty distinctly, which is impressive. I just don’t think the combination is for me. The nuttiness seems to be combating with the chocolate, and the strawberry is just a whisper in the background.

I’m a bit behind in my advent teas, as this is today’s tea, and I haven’t done write-ups for the last two… but I’ve been working on sipdowns to keep my inventory under control and today I finished off the packets for Days 1-3 (plus the 2017 packet of Day 4). And obviously hording tea is a major problem for me, because I also had a packet of this tea from 2017 that was unopened… a 50g one. So ya… better work on that before breaking into the newer one. Hopefully it will be okay, but I do worry that the sunflower seeds may have soured, I know nuts and seeds can have the same issues as coconut (though aren’t quite as awful as coconut tends to be).

I made a two-cup pot with a generous teabag in it and left it steeping while giving the cat her after-work run-down. It’s a beautiful red color and smells divine; it smells very nutty, and I do get a very sweet chocolate-covered strawberry aroma as well. I love strawberries in Nutella and I definitely can get that from the smell. The flavor is also quite nice; the strawberry has a nice, juicy, berry quality, when many strawberry teas taste more like strawberry candy to me. There is a cocoa note, but it is more of a subtle dark chocolate that comes out toward the end of the sip and blends nicely with the nutty quality of the tea. I’m not sure if I taste hazelnut, exactly, but I definitely taste nuts, and chocolate, so I think because I eat so much Nutella my brain tends to go with hazelnut… but it has almost a lighter, peanut sort of quality, as well. It’s pleasant either way. I’m happy this tea has held up so wonderfully despite the age, and that I happen to have such a large bag because I am foreseeing many happy nighttime cups. It is simply lovely!

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Hazelnut, Nuts, Nutty, Peanut, Strawberry, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML
52Teas

Just a note – there are no sunflower seeds in the newest reblend.

tea-sipper

This one beat out PEACHY KEEN?!? I liked this blend before… but it’s lightyears away from Peachy Keen.

52Teas

Sorry @tea-sipper – I like peachy keen but it didn’t do well in the poll at all. :(

tea-sipper

haha, it’s okay Anne. It’s just if more people had TRIED Peachy Keen, they would know the magic that is Peachy Keen. :D

52Teas

sigh I agree! But then, I think that about ALL of my teas … including this one.

tea-sipper

I can imagine. Well, one solution would be to have a tiny bit more supply of some teas? I know you say you don’t have the room to stock them, but it seems like teas sometimes sell quickly…

52Teas

Of course – but, how do I predict which will sell and which do not? I have inaccurately attempted to predict which would and would not predict all too often with disappointing results. In fact, some of the teas that made it to the top of the polls this year happened to be teas that I had to sell on clearance at some point because they didn’t sell out quickly and I needed to liquidate them. So there’s that.

52Teas

And – Peachy Keen … just so happened to be one of those teas! It was a tea that didn’t come out the way I expected it to so I tweaked it and it became something different from its original intention. As a result, I ended up having a bunch of it and had to sell it at a deep discount.

tea-sipper

hmm.. it’s odd clearance teas also become poll winners so I can see why it’s tough for you to guess what will sell better. I liked the mistakes, whatever they were on peachy keen. :D

Todd

Some extra of this got made for advent, and I was really pleased when Sara mentioned there was some for sale! I bought two packets right away, and I’m finishing a cup right now.

#adventageddon Day Nineteen – 5/6

I’m pretty sure I’ve never had this tea before but apparently it’s popular enough to get voted back as a reblend and it sounds pretty awesome conceptually, so I was stoked for it. I actually liked it a lot – it’s really distinctly honeybush tasting, but also quite rich and nutty. That hazelnut actually REALLY comes through, and I like that it’s stronger than the chocolate. The strawberry is nice too, it offsets that nutty/woody note. I wouldn’t go as far as to say this is amazing to me, but it’s still really nice and I think I see why it got voted back.

I don’t think I ever really cared for this tea, and still don’t. There is a nuttiness to it, for sure, and maybe a brush with chocolate, but I’m not getting any strawberry at all. I believe it’s flavoured with cacao nibs, which IMO just don’t have the same punch that the shells do, which I wish were used for chocolate flavouring everywhere!

Despite not living up to its name, I don’t mind this tea, especially if I think of it as peanut butter honeybush, which is more how it comes off to me.

52Teas

It has both shells and nibs.

tea-sipper

I’m also in the cocoa-shells-for-all-chocolate-flavors-everywhere club :D

Kittenna

@52Teas – Didn’t check the ingredient list, just looked at the tea and didn’t see the shells amongst the honeybush! But they do appear to be there, so they are probably responsible for the chocolate flavour I did taste. Maybe the nuttiness is overpowering the chocolate somewhat?

52Teas

@Kittenna – that’s possible. I am always trying to keep in mind that just because I taste something – or not – doesn’t mean that everyone is tasting the same flavors/notes/tones that I taste. Everyone has a different tasting experience because our palates are as individual as we are. So I can only flavor it according to what I’m tasting because that’s my test palate. :)

To be honest, in my years as a tea taster/reviewer, I never really tasted a whole lot of chocolate from the nibs which is why I include shells in every chocolate thing I blend. I add the nibs because they do add a slight “roasted” cacao note which tends to taste more roasted than it does cacao, but I do appreciate that roasted note.

I was in my kitchen and noticed a plastic bag hung on one of the cabinet handles. “That’s odd. What could that be?” Some tea my friend Sara gave me in May, which I had misplaced.

You see, I am absent-minded, forgetful, a bit of a slob, and a pack rat. I knew that tea must be around somewhere; I would never throw out a bag without inspecting its contents.

So I chose this one first, because it sounds delicious.

It smells of strawberries and carob.

It tastes like strawberries, hazelnut, and a little like chocolate. I wish the chocolate were a bit stronger. But wow, this is a good combination. Do they make strawberry Nutella? Cause now I think it would be great on toast.

Flavors: Chocolate, Hazelnut, Strawberry

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 4 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

You found it, a Christmas miracle!

By the way, you actually purchased that one and the Pear Chai. I ordered them with a 52Teas order I made at the time to save the shipping and just delivered them to you at AO.

Todd

I did? Well thank you, past me! You have good taste.
And thanks for the delivery.

Admittedly, i never seem to really enjoy honeybush from 52 teas. Not sure what it is, but it rarely works for me. Happily though, this one seems to be doing something right. it’s more chocolate, strawberry with a hint of hazelnut for me…but thankfully i’m not getting that honeybush taste that is jarring. yep, i can get behind this one.

Last year I passed a few blends to friends and tea-pals after just sniffing them. This year, I’ve decided to at least try every tea in this year’s 12 Teas of Christmas box.

Honeybush AND sunflower seeds? Nope.

While I understand the use of sunflower seeds in a tea blend, I do think they have their own distinctive taste. So, instead of just contributing an ambiguous nutty flavor, they make the tea taste and smell like, well, sunflower seeds. The chocolate flavor is there but only just. I don’t really discern any hazelnut flavor, but my taste buds may be overwhelmed by the sunflower seeds. The strawberry is present at the tail end of every sip. Black, I don’t find it to be particularly sweet. It might’ve been sweeter had their been more strawberries and fewer sunflower seeds. A bit of raw sugar helped me finish my cuppa, but I won’t be finishing my sample bag.

Last night it was 79 degrees in my room and it was 77 when I woke up. I had the blessed window open, so I don’t know why it was so hot. I didn’t sleep much so I got up late for church, feeling slimy with sweat. I ran around all day today packing up stuff at the old place to bring to my room at mom’s. Pretty soon I won’t be able to move in here! My brother gallantly watched me parading in and out with multiple loads, and he never offered to help. Ggrrrrr. Of course, I never asked for help. Maybe he thought I could handle it.

Anyway, a few more loads to bring home and then I get to start packing for putting stuff in storage.

Last night was hotter than blazes but tonight it is comfortable. I decided to have a cup of hot tea. I thought this one was done a while ago, but I was digging around in the tea box for an evening cup and this one floated up to the top. Nummy. I will miss you, delicious tea, but I have lots more to sip down before fall, and I’m sure Anne and Amethyst will come up with more teas to entice me to break my No Tea Buying vow.

We’ll definitely try. :)

Grab bag from a while ago! I’ve tried this a couple times and there is such an abundance of cocoa shells (YAY!) that this results in the main flavor of the blend. Nothing really hazelnut or strawberry about it, despite seeing strawberry pieces. I’m not sure if the strawberry pieces are the only strawberry element here. I don’t mind a cocoa honeybush blend though… it could be worse. :D
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// few minutes after boiling // 3-4 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5 minute steep