Steepster's Ho-dduk Ho-dduk Goose

Butter, Butterscotch, Honey, Pastries, Tea, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Malt, Sweet, Yeast, Nutty, Pecan, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Cake, Sugar, Toasty
Fair Trade, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 21 oz / 621 ml

From 52teas

For this VIT, I started with a Thyolo OP1 Black Tea from the Satemwa Estate in Malawi (a fair-trade, rainforest alliance certified tea). I like this tea because it has a really nice, smooth flavor and I felt that the natural flavors of the tea would play well to the brown sugar and nutty notes and the bread-y pancake-y flavors that I was trying to develop in this blend.

Then I acquired some cinnamon and natural flavors. Then I tossed in a little bit of calendula petals to make it pretty. The result is a tea that has a lovely pancake-y, nutty, sweet flavor with just a hint of warm spice from the cinnamon.

Quite tasty – and I think that this tea will have you longing for autumn.

ingredients: black tea, organic cinnamon, organic calendula and organic natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

I may have waited significantly longer than the recommended 10 minutes of cooling. Like an entire episode of Grey’s Anatomy longer. Nonetheless, this has some lovely pastry notes. It’s like a tasty black tea and an accompanying honeyed pastry all rolled into one. I am sure there will be more to say when I have this a little hotter next time but this was a lovely introduction to this blend.

Evol Ving Ness

Funny, the first time I had this, I also drank it almost cold and it wasn’t all that. Hot-tish is definitely the way to go.

VariaTEA

I figured as much. I have seen so many positive reviews, yours included, that I knew I was in for a treat so I was looking for the good but I got the feeling it would be better when hot…ish.

Evol Ving Ness

I found it does a second steep well too. Looking forward to your next cup to see what you think.

OOoooooh, yes!

I spend a considerable amount of time in our Korean town here and while I don’t quite know what a Ho-dduk Ho-dduk treat is, this tea reminds me of the disc-shaped fried Korean doughy pastry—which I don’t know the name of— that drips brown sugar caramel down your arm and burns your tongue if you bite into it before it slightly cools. Does that treat contain nuts? I don’t recall.

The base is reminiscent of honey black with layers of butter, and the slightest bit of pastry. Most definitely a winner. I am not detecting the cinnamon in this beyond the slightest vaguest whisper and am thankful for that. There’s far too much cinnamon in the tea world. I love it as is and wish I had more than the spoon or two that I do have. Possible additions for future creations if 52teas were to change its no-real-nut policy would be real bits of pecans or walnuts.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Honey, Pastries

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

awesome!

Im sad. I saw so many amazing reviews on this tea that i thought for sure id be in love. WTF. All I taste is black tea. No nuttiness, no sweetness, no cinnamon, no cake, no walnut, no maple…what did I do wrong? I followed the instructions. Grrrr. I even shook the bag! Maybe I got a bad batch? I dont know. I am going to keep trying it and see if I change my mind. Hmph.

Flavors: Tea

NEW BAE ALERT.

This is my Tea of the Week. I bought this taste-unseen* based on its description. It was supposedly a sort of cinnamon bread pancake thing. It’s described on 52Teas’ site as “a lovely pancake-y, nutty, sweet flavor with just a hint of warm spice from the cinnamon.”

( * “Taste-unseen” is a phrase that makes no sense.)

There are malt notes, cinnamon notes, bread notes, sweet notes, and warm black tea notes.

I didn’t write a note last time (the first time) I drank this because I was shocked at how much I liked it.

I was like “I doubt it’s actually this amazing. I’m going to hold off until I’m in a more rational state of mind.”

Turns out I’m never in a rational state of mind. This is so good I almost can’t handle it.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Malt, Sweet, Yeast

LiberTEAS

I love this review. I will have to use taste-unseen in the future. :)

So I’ve actually never had the treat for which this tea is named and inspired by, but it sounds absolutely delicious and I really, really found the name of this tea very compelling so I figured this one was absolutely worth a try.

And honestly, it’s phenomenal. Probably the best creation by 52teas that I’ve tried in a LONG time – and I’m definitely including my reblend in that list as well.

It’s just this wonderful, rich and full bodied dessert-type tea that hits the pastry nail right on the head. Personally, I’m drawing a lot of waffle-y, sweet, maple and nutty type notes from this one. Having never tried Ho-dduk before I can’t speak to the accuracy, but in addition to those maple and waffle notes I also I get hardcore pecan pie or butter tart vibes from this (and lord knows I love pecans) crossed with kind of Elephant Ear like pastry? You know, light and fluffly dusted with lots and lots of powdered sugar and cinnamon. The stuff you get hot at the carnival or as street food. Mmm!

No song pairing for this one; I got too caught up in the cup and I never found a song to pair it with before I’d finished it. Here’s a hilarious video instead, though:

VariaTEA

Elephant ears <3

Rasseru

first Tea eggs, now Ho-dduks…? much new food

Super Starling!

DUCK DUCK GOOSE. OH GOD. I was looking at the name for a while trying to figure out where “Goose” fit in. The name is so clever. Adding this to my cart.

Evol Ving Ness

Err, wow. This one sounds scrumptious.

Another interesting one! I drank this around the same time as Mayan Chocolate Chai, so probably need to try it again on its own to get a better picture of how it tastes.

However, I do certainly recall a lovely nuttiness that I quite enjoyed, and in reading a bit more about the tea, I see that it’s supposed to taste like walnuts and sweetness, which I’m pretty sure it did. More details to come some other day, maybe, if I get around to it, but this is a generally positive review :D

I finally got to try the special tea that 52Teas created for me as part of their Kickstarter campaign, and it definitely lived up to the hype!

To start, I was concerned that I gave Anne and Amethyst a tricky one to try and replicate, but they definitely delivered. This reminds me a lot of the Ho-dduk treat my fiancee loves so much (and I do too). It’s got that sweet cake flavor that’s like the fried dough pocket. It’s got the sugar and nutty notes from the brown sugar and walnuts fried on the inside. This tea is all types of good. Plus, I left it to cool for a while and the flavors were even more pronounced, which is a nice change of pace because usually ho-dduks are so hot they burn the crap out of your mouth.

I’m super pleased with this one and couldn’t have asked for a better custom tea to be made in Steepster’s/my name. Thanks to the ladies behind 52Teas for the wonderful treat!

If you’re interested, they’ve shared a little more about the tea on their tasting note here: http://steepster.com/LiberTEAS/posts/337703

Lastly, sorry for the ridiculous name. It’s obviously a duck, duck, goose pun…and coincidentally, one of my nicknames is “goose”. But it’s quite a mouthful to say, my bad.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Butter, Cake, Cinnamon, Nutty, Sugar, Sweet, Toasty

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 30 OZ / 887 ML
Camila Jauregui

Thank you for such an amazing Review, def. going to try this !!!

mrmopar

This is the test notification.

Jason

Test notification received…

love2read

wow! this is nice trst notification’

love2read

wow .this is really testy

For those of you who remember – last year we had a Kickstarter campaign going to raise funds to be able to take over 52Teas from Frank. One of our contributors was none other than Jason! (Thank you so much Jason!)

And he wanted to create a Ho-dduk flavored tea (which is a Korean street food dessert type of pancake thing that is fried in a bunch of butter and filled with a filling of brown sugar, cinnamon and peanuts – or pecans or other nuts) It took me a while to get the flavor balance just right for this tea. My first batch turned out tasting a bit more cinnamon than I wanted it to – but I do believe I finally got the flavors right!

The black tea base is a Thyolo OP1 Black tea from Malawi – it’s smooth and flavorful but not overly heavy or aggressive. The pancake flavor comes through (but don’t go looking for maple flavoring here which is what my palate was kind of looking for at first because – pancake.) There’s a nice warmth from the cinnamon and a touch of buttery taste. I actually used pecan flavor rather than peanut because I like pecans better than peanuts. I also felt that the pecan flavor would come through better than the peanut flavor would with this particular base.

It’s sweet, cake-y, nutty and warm with cinnamon – with just a touch of butter. Really tasty. I hope Jason likes this as much as I do!

LiberTEAS

Whoops, dang it – I meant to post this as 52Teas.

Liquid Proust

Drop me a line when this one is on the site :)

Kittenna

Darn you for making so many tasty things.

Thank you? :)

Kittenna

Mumble mumble exchange rate shopping cart mumble.

LiberTEAS

What’s worrying me right now is the shipping because of the postal strike! And my concern is trifling compared to how you must feel because I know I’d be so frustrated if I were not receiving mail.