Pear Chai

Medium
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for March 26, 2018!

Yeah, it’s getting out of what I think of as “Chai Season” but when I blended this, we here the Pacific Northwest were experiencing freezing temperatures and were even expecting snow (which did arrive in the last half of February). So, I was in this weird kind of ‘mood’ – blending teas that reminded me of spring while still quite enjoying the spicier ‘cold weather’ flavors. At about that same time when I was in that mood, our local produce market had some beautiful pears for sale and it called to me to craft a pear tea.

So I brought together these ideas: early spring but still experiencing winter’s chill and one of my favorite fruits – pears – in this one tea: Pear Chai!

I started with an organic green tea blend of Chinese Gunpowder and Chun Mee (When I think of ‘spring’ I think green tea!) and added pears and some warm and lovely spices: Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger and Cardamom. Not necessarily the most “traditional” blend of chai spices, but I think that they work nicely with the softer pear flavors.

organic ingredients: green teas, pears, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cardamom & natural flavors

Steeping Instructions: Shake pouch to redistribute ingredients. Use 4-5g to 12 oz. 170 F hot water and steep for 2 1/2 minutes. Strain. For best flavor, allow to cool about five minutes.

About 52teas View company

Hooray for another pear tea!

I was actually surprised that this one wasn’t more spiced; definitely a stronger pear than spice taste overall in my opinion. I mean, definitely still had notes of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger but the pear was so bright, sweet and juicy that I hardly noticed them. Instead I just enjoyed that yummy aspect of the profile. One of those very rare green teas AND chai teas that I am completely on board with/have zero qualms about.

Though, worth throwing out there that even though I LOVED this one I did make one weird observation – alongside those juicy, sweet pear notes there was almost this creeping, undertone note of under ripe banana!? It was weird, but tasty!

Chai to Stay Dry! It actually looks like a proper spring day today (and surprisingly not too windy for this area) but why stop the chai theme now? Decided to go with something a little different this morning, so I grabbed a green tea chai, and something a little fruitier! I love the scent of the dry leaf, which reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum; somehow the sweet pear and the hints of cardamom and other spices mixed together remind me of the aroma of that gum I used to chew as a child!

The tea has a strong, sweet pear flavor. The spices are on the softer side; I get some hints of warm cinnamon and cardamom on my tongue in the finish, but it a subtle warmth rather than a lingering spicy heat. The tea really has a lot of full, juicy pear flavor, and I was suprised with how many large chunks of dried pear were in my small sample.

This is a great pear-flavored tea with a nice natural sweetness and a touch of soothing warmth.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Pear, Sweet

Lexie Aleah

Sounds delicious!

Mastress Alita

It’s funny, I don’t like eating pears just because of the texture of the fruit (though I can eat them dried!), but I loooooove the taste/flavor of them, so I really enjoy when I can find a nice pear-flavored tea or candy!

Scheherazade

I don’t like the texture of pear, either, but I’m all over pear flavoured things!

Very nice subtle chai tea. It has a very pleasant taste, the pear adds sweetness with the typical chai flavors of cardamom, cinnamon and ginger as a subtle background. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to the next cup :).

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Pear