Acid Drop

Fruit Green Herbal Blend
Grapefruit Slices, Green Tea, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lime, Natural Flavours, Orange
Medium
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “The first one to be tried from my January sub box! I couldn’t help it, this one smelled fabulous when I opened the pouch… I really like it! The mix of citrus is very nice – I would say I get a...” Read full tasting note
  • “the last Tea of the Week for the month of January (I still have a featured reblend coming though) – this candy scared me just a little because the name made it sound like it was going to be super...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for January 21, 2019!

Another candy that I absolutely adored from my Handy Candy Haul were the acid drops. And this time, the adoration was completely unexpected. I admit the name was something that scared me – I’m not a big fan of very sour candy (or drinks for that matter) – and with a name like “acid drops” it told me that this was going to be extraordinarily sour. After tasting the candy though, I realized just how misleading the name was. Acidic – yes, but in a good way. It wasn’t sour or even overly tart. Tart – yes. Tangy – yes. But not what I’d call sour. Nothing that made me pucker – not once. (And I had several of the candies). It was just a tangy, acidic citrus candy – it was bright and had a nice, palate-cleansing effect – very different from a typical candy because it had that nice contrast between sweet and tart. It was definitely more sweet than it was tart . . . and it was really quite lovely.

So I decided that this was a candy that I could interpret as a tea!

I went with organic Chun Mee for a base because it tends to a be a little less sweet than typical green teas – and it also tends to have a somewhat acidic, citrus tone to it – making it the perfect choice for the base for this particular blend. For a tart & tangy character, I added grapefruit, lemon, lime & lime leaves. To soften the acidic blow (just a little) of these tart & tangy players, I added a little bit of orange and lemongrass.

So please note: this tea – despite its somewhat deceptive name – is not overly acidic. It’s not sour or even terribly tart. It does have a tangy edge to it – it is tart (but again, not overly so) and it has a pleasantly sweet note that cuts through some of that tart for you. It’s a really nice citrus tea – but not your typical citrus that tends to focus on the sweet flavors but instead, this one’s more about the bright tanginess of the fruits. If you’ve ever had an acid drop, you’ll know what I’m talking about – because I feel like this one comes pretty darn close to its candy inspiration.

Organic, VEGAN, gluten free and allergen free!

organic ingredients: green tea, grapefruit, lemon, lime, lime leaves, lemon grass, orange & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

I really like it! The mix of citrus is very nice – I would say I get a lot of grapefruit and lemon followed by sweet orange. The lemon also tastes very lemon-drop-like, which really helps sell the candy shoppe angle.

The green tea base is somewhat robust, though I think it needs to be in order to keep up with the strong citrus flavors here. It has a bit of mineral and smoke to it that remind me of gunpowder green tea, but aren’t quite that strong.

I do get a tiny bit of bitterness here, and I’m not sure if I perhaps overleafed a bit too much or if it’s from the citrus peel. Either way, it’s pleasant and doesn’t detract from the overall taste.

ETA: Now that it’s cooling more, I am getting some lime flavor as well.

Flavors: Bitter, Candy, Grapefruit, Grass, Lemon, Lime, Mineral, Orange, Smoke, Sweet, Tart

Kawaii433

Oh man, I just made my first phone order with Lupicia in Hawaii… Thank you again for the info. I ordered the Framboise Chocolat and they said it was selling fast by phone calls so better get it sooner than later because it won’t be available after February. (Again I tried to post that in the forums, it just doesn’t let me post there, it times out.).

Earlier I had 4 Acid Drop in a cart and I decided to wait to pull the trigger because of the Lupicia order. I just know I’m going to like this. I love citrus especially if it’s tart.

Cameron B.

Oh good, how did the phone order go? I’m a citrus lover, too!

Kawaii433

Went well, we chatted quite a bit about the California store closing, how they didn’t know… Etc. I wanted to share this in the discussion, if you can do it for me since I can’t… She said she could fit up to ~12 bags of tea in one USPS flat rate envelope, depending upon what type of tea, and the shipping cost was $8 + $3.75 handling fee.

Kawaii433

Here is a copy and paste from the email:
We do have the Chocolate teas available for sale in our store. They are listed below:

Earl Grey Chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50
Framboise Chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50
Yuzu Chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50
The Au Chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50 or 10TB $8.50 (Regular 10TB package)
Marron Chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50
Orange chocolat in 50gr pack $8.50 or 5TB in limited design mini tin $5.50

Cameron B.

Okay, I posted those in the discussion thread. I wonder if you want less tea, if there’s a non-flat-rate shipping option…

Thank you! I saw it :D

Kawaii433

She said that they use the smallest box that they can fit your order in and only the flat-rate options.

Kawaii433

I asked so many questions (poor lady) and we talked a long time… If any of you have questions, just ask me. I may have asked it hehe.

Cameron B.

Well that’s good to know, so it’s really not cost-effective to order less then if that shipping is flat rate. Thank you for the info! ❤

Kawaii433

I also asked if there was a price that we could get free shipping, she said no, not at this time.

You’re very welcome <3

Please keep things friendly and .

the last Tea of the Week for the month of January (I still have a featured reblend coming though) – this candy scared me just a little because the name made it sound like it was going to be super sour. I’m not a big fan of super sour flavors – but I was pleasantly surprised because it really isn’t sour – a bit acidic, yes – but not sour. It has a strong citrus-y flavor that is mostly grapefruit, but it is really more ‘citrus’ to me than strictly grapefruit so I used more than just grapefruit in the blend. This has a base of Chun Mee, a bunch of grapefruit as well as lemon, lime and a few oranges. I also added some lime leaves for an added punch of citrus flavor and a little bit of lemongrass to smooth out the flavor just a little.

This is really good – very citrus-y as you might imagine – but if you like citrus, then you will really enjoy this one.

Please keep things friendly and .