I Drink and I Know Things aka The Imp's Delight

Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for April 1, 2019!

Our first “Game of Thrones” themed tea!

Confession time: I didn’t really watch Game of Thrones until very recently. I watched the first season, but when Ned got beheaded, that was it for me. I hated Joffrey so much that I couldn’t bear to watch it anymore. I finally decided to watch it (Including re-watching the first season) after much pleading from Mat – who declared it the best show ever. So I decided to give it another chance.

And I’m so glad I did. I finished watching seasons 1 – 7 and decided that I must make “Game of Thrones” my theme for April’s box to commemorate the beginning of the 8th and final season.

My favorite character of the series is Tyrion, so I knew I had to make something wine-ish in his honor. One of his most quoted lines is “That’s what I do – I drink & I know things.” He also said (I think it was in season 6?) that he wanted to start his own wine and call it “The Imp’s Delight.” So this tea is “I Drink & I Know Things” aka “The Imp’s Delight.”

I started with a base of black teas (Heavy on the Yunnan, followed by Assam, with just a wee bit of Ceylon to offer some balance). Then I added some wine essence, some spices (in honor of the ‘spice king’ from Qarth) – broken star anise, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom – and some orange peel to create a spiced wine tea that I believe Tyrion would enjoy!

Don’t worry, this blend is alcohol free! It’s also VEGAN, gluten free & allergen free – and very yummy!

ingredients: broken star anise pieces

organic ingredients: black teas, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, orange peel & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Sipdown (808)!

I’m not really a GoT person, but even I understand the reference behind this one. For a tea that’s supposed to be a sort of spiced wine kind of vibe, I’m really only tasting the spice. It is a really nicely composed chai profile though, even without the wine. My cup was pretty cardamom forward, but still had some kick from the other spices and the black tea base was really rich and malty too.

It’s not the type of thing I’d want around in a large amount, but as a one off cup it was pretty delightful! Thanks for sharing Kittenna!

This was a favorite from the Game of Thrones set. I like chai teas, so I was excited to try this one. I loved the big wheels of anise, and the boost of orange and red-berry flavors to make this go beyond the usual chai. The variety and intensity of the spices make me feel rich and lavish, like every scene in King’s Landing where smug royals are drinking and dining. The black tea is bold and a bit bready, and holds its own against the pantry of spices. The lingering, dark, fruity note at the end calls back to the idea that this blend is like a mulled wine. I think Tyrion would approve!

Flavors: Anise, Berry, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Cloves, Fruity, Licorice, Orange, Red Wine

Ok, I made a rather large 52 Teas order, and Anne was kind enough to include a single serve sample of this in the package
Just a quickie review, this tea is OK. I would have liked it MUCH better without the anise. I find licorice flavor of any sort (black licorice that is) revolting and when it shows up in my tea I have to drown it in sweetener just to make it palatable. That is what happened here with each steeping requiring THREE splendas just so I could drink it. However, with the three splendas it was actually not too bad. I got the basic gist of the tea. I’ve never had mulled wine, so I can only guess that it what it tastes like. All in all, not a fan of this one, but I have had much much worse.

Flavors: Licorice, Orange

Frolic

Thanks for the heads-up on the anise. I despise licorice and can only handle small amounts of anise when it’s with other stronger spices so I’m going to have to pass my pouch of this on to someone else.

Kittenna

The licorice must be hit or miss here, as I don’t recall tasting in in the single cup I’ve had so far.

Mixed feelings on this tea. The ingredients sound like a chai, but I really didn’t want it to be another chai. However, it is, but it’s pretty heavy on the orange, which makes it kind of different. It’s also light enough on the flavours to drink straight, which is nice. Uncertain that it makes me think of Tyrion Lannister, but maybe if I think of mulled wine? (I haven’t read the tea description recently, is that what I’m supposed to be thinking of?)

52Teas

Yes, I am not particularly a fan of wine – so I didn’t think I was a good candidate to create a full-on wine-ish tea, so I went a mulled wine route instead.