Mother of Dragons

Pineapple, Smoke, Spicy, Tannin
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “The zipper on my bag of this broke the first time I opened it, which hasn’t happened before. Although the pancake bacon one has a bit of a similar smoky element, I don’t enjoy it much here. The...” Read full tasting note
  • “Just got this in a grab bag from 52Teas and had to brew it up as soon as I smelled it. The mango is sweet and juicy, and is nicely balances by the spice. It’s really, really excellent. I actually...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea grew on me the more often I brewed it. I’ve seen smoky-grilled-pineapple teas before and I was skeptical. I had to try this tea because of the Game of Thrones theme. The black tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a first in a while – I’m actually drinking a tea while writing about it! Which is quite helpful. Anyways – aroma of the dry leaf of this tea is strongly pineapple, which gave me immediate...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for April 15, 2019!

For our third Game of Thrones tea, I decided to pay tribute to another favorite character of mine: Daenerys Targaryen! But I must confess, she’s mainly one of my faves because of the dragons. I love the dragons!

Another confession: it was the dragons that got me to actually sit down and watch the show. I watched the full first season with Mat, and after the first season when Ned lost his head and after witnessing the horrible Joffrey, I just couldn’t deal. As a mother, I wanted to go and do something about that terrible kid. So Mat continued to watch the show and I’d ignore his pleas to sit down and watch with him and give the show another chance, until I started seeing the dragons.

Another confession: I want a dragon. Yes, I know they’re not real. That doesn’t do anything to diminish my desire for a dragon.

If you’re like me, you gotta love Daenerys and her dragons. So I decided to not just play tribute to Daenerys with this tea, but also her dragons – or the fact that she is the mother of dragons.

I started with a base of black teas (Assam, Ceylon & Yunnan) and then added a wee bit of Lapsang Souchong to it for smokiness (because – dragons). Then I added some smoked chili flakes and some cayenne pepper (because – dragons breathe fire). Finally, I added some freeze-dried mango & pineapple bits for just a bit of sweetness (because – Daenerys’s love for her dragons shows the sweet side of her). I didn’t want this to be too smoky (because, quite frankly, I’m not a huge fan of strong smoky notes). I didn’t want this to be too spicy. I wanted a balance between the sweet and smoky notes, with the heat to be subtle but strong enough to remind you that it’s there. Something that starts as a gentle warmth in the back of the throat but builds – gradually – as you continue to sip.

I think I managed to achieve what I set out to achieve with this tea. I’m really happy with it.

And in case you’re wondering, it IS organic, gluten-free, allergen free and of course – VEGAN!

organic ingredients: black teas, mangos, pineapples, smoked chili flakes, cayenne pepper & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

The zipper on my bag of this broke the first time I opened it, which hasn’t happened before. Although the pancake bacon one has a bit of a similar smoky element, I don’t enjoy it much here. The flavor is mostly the smoke with a hint of something else, which I guess is supposed to be the pineapple, but it’s not distinct. This one just didn’t work for me. Milk improves the flavor, but it’s just not delicious. Love the idea for this one though.

Just got this in a grab bag from 52Teas and had to brew it up as soon as I smelled it. The mango is sweet and juicy, and is nicely balances by the spice. It’s really, really excellent. I actually slurped down my cup pretty quickly, which I haven’t done with a tea in awhile.

AJRimmer

Ooo I’m excited to see what’s in my grab bags now!

This tea grew on me the more often I brewed it. I’ve seen smoky-grilled-pineapple teas before and I was skeptical. I had to try this tea because of the Game of Thrones theme. The black tea brewed up pleasantly tart and full of tanins, which paired well with the tart, buzzy pineapple. In the scent and at the back of each sip, the smoked chills came into play, adding a touch of heat and bit of bacon-smoke. Weird at first, I came to crave this smoky, pineapple, black tea and was glad that the tea for this character packed a punch.

Flavors: Pineapple, Smoke, Spicy, Tannin

Anyways – aroma of the dry leaf of this tea is strongly pineapple, which gave me immediate associations to Butiki and Pineapple Cilantro Cream (even though my bag of that is no longer strongly flavoured). Brewed up, it’s actually not very aromatic at all, maybe just a touch of pineapple. Flavour is, again, heavy on the pineapple with a teensy kick of heat, which might actually be more noticeable as the tea cools, since right now there’s also temperature heat involved. Base tea blend seems to be pretty good, though the mouthfeel is a tad bit drying (brewed at ~200F for ~2min, measured 1.5tsp leaf for 8oz, fairly cautious parameters, so I was hoping to avoid any of that). I’m not sure I’m perceiving any smoke at all, though (I just exhaled and am now waffling on that, though).

This is a very unique tea; I feel like I’ve had pineapple habanero-type teas before, and none ever really tasted so pineappley, so it’s kind of neat to experience it here. I do wish, though, that I was picking up on more mango. The heat level, depending on what it’s like in the cooled tea, could maybe be amped up juuuust slightly, but that could also be the mix of ingredients in the infuser, hard to say. Likewise with the smoke, although maybe it’s just blending in so well that I can’t pick it out – that happens sometimes with ingredients I’m not averse to. However, for a tea made to pay tribute to the Mother of Dragons, I think a bit of both ingredients would be warranted.

Anyhow, not a favourite, but fun to try!