Pu Erh Chorange

Pu-erh Tea
Blue Cornflowers, Chocolate Flavor, Cocoa Nibs, Orange Flavoring, Orange Peels, Pu Erh Tea
Artificial, Cocoa, Earth, Metallic, Mineral, Orange, Sweet, Chocolate, Bitter, Citrus
High
Edit tea info Last updated by IllBeMother221B

• “Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I’m really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out of it....” Read full tasting note
  • “this is an interesting tea, sent my way by Kallieboo! it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses the chocolate...” Read full tasting note
  • “Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler...” Read full tasting note
  • “So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I’ve tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. Very...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Rich chocolate and sweet orange bring a confectionary note to the gentle earthiness of pu erh. Lively citrus lifts the blend while the warm chocolate and easygoing pu erh are grounding and smooth. Reminiscent of a favorite treat.

Steep at 212° for 5 minutes

About Adagio Teas View company

Sil posting her tealog of this reminded me that I have some too, and I’m really feeling the pu-erhs these days. So, I wanted to give it another try. Unfortunately, I too only got orange out of it. Light, juicy orange, yet still just orange. There’s a bit of a dryness to it that I could attribute to chocolate, but it’s faint.

this is an interesting tea, sent my way by Kallieboo! it smells heavenly! orange, chocolatey goodness and likely something i would have picked myself. Steeped though, it loses the chocolate flavour and becomes more of an orange puerh. While that doesn’t bother me, it’s not quite what it claims to be. It IS a decent puerh though and one that i wouldn’t turn down. I like that the flavouring doesn’t overpower the puerh taste and that the puerh is a deep earthy sort of taste. Overall a decent cup of tea, though i wish it was a little more chocolate orange instead of just being orange. ")

Yvonne

Drool.

Today is day number four of Pu Erh week and I feel like doing something festive in celebration of it being very cold and slowly creeping closer to Christmas. I made myself a nice little Perler Christmas Tree and had a bit of Pu Erh that does the best impersonation of a Christmas Time favorite that I have ever seen.

Pu Erh Chorange by Adagio teas has a wonderful portmanteau name and that makes me happy. Part of the Terra Sampler pack (and The Boo Erh Giveaway mentioned at the start of the week) it is a blend of Chocolate, Pu Erh, Oranges, and Blue Cornflowers. I will be honest, I have no idea why the cornflowers are there, they do not really match the aesthetic, but I am just being picky. The aroma is astoundingly similar to one of my favorite things about Christmas, the Chocolate Orange ball. Ever had one of them, they are a ball shaped like and orange that you bang onto something hard and it splits into ‘orange’ wedges of orange flavored chocolate. They are addictive and this tea smells just like one. At first all I noticed was the blending of chocolate and orange but the more I snuffled around in the tea (yes, you can think of a pig rooting for truffles) the more I noticed an earthy aroma letting me know that it was a Pu Erh and not an impostor.

Giving the tea a nice steeping brings out more earthy aromas with a hint of loam along with the potent orange and chocolate. The tea is very bright, if an aroma can light up a room and make it more cheerful, this one would do it. The liquid is very citrus heavy and sweet with milder notes of chocolate and earthiness.

The first thing I noticed was, wow, that is a smooth tea! The flavor, the mouthfeel, everything about it is smooth, I have a similar reaction when stuffing chocolate orange wedges in my mouth so the similarity continues. The taste blends chocolate and oranges together very well, it is balanced which can be hard with such dominating flavors, but what about the Pu Erh? No worries, it is there, it sneaks in at the very end of the midtaste and blooms into a delightful earthy flavor as an aftertaste and leaves a lingering sweetness. Out of curiosity I added a touch of cream, it surprisingly did not curdle (yay!) but didn’t really add much to the tea. As the tea cools it does get a touch earthier with a bit of a mineral taste. I think I just found my new Christmas cheer tea!

For blog and photos (and a Christmas Tree): http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/adagio-teas-pu-erh-chorange-tea-review.html

So far this is the most earthy of the flavored puerhs from Adagio that I’ve tried. This one you can actually taste the puerh in with the orange with a bit of chocolate in the background. Very interesting, not something that I would go out of my way to buy again but I am giving it a higher rating for being the first chocolate flavored tea that I’ve encountered that wasn’t horrible.

The chocolate and orange flavouring was not bad, but overpowering, and the scent was difficult to remove from my infuser afterwards. The pu-erh seemed to have no flavour at all. I plan to give this another chance at some point, but for now I’m quite glad it was in a free sampler.

Trick or Treat! Still feeling exhausted… not sure why. Didn’t even have time to get up and make some tea this morning before work. Going all day without tea was so painful, I had to get a Dr. Pepper from the vending machine because not having any caffeine was hitting me hard!

Usually in the evenings I make tisanes, but I’m just so happy to have access to my tea again I decided to do this one tonight. I love chocolate oranges, and would happily enjoy one if it appeared in a Halloween bucket, even if it was leftover from last year’s Christmas.

This is… pretty mediocre, though. The tea just tastes really metallic. I have no idea if that’s just a note of this particular pu-ehr, a result of the particular orange flavoring Adagio is using, both, or what, but it is not really agreeing with me at all. The tea is quite earthy, and sometimes the metallic quality comes off a bit more mineral paired with that earthy flavor, which isn’t too bad, but then this really artificial orange flavor coats the tongue and it just seems to have this odd metallic quality to the flavor. I’m not really picking up much chocolate; there are some subtle cocoa notes, and the tea is quite sweet, but mostly it is just very earthy, orangey, and mineral/metallic. It just doesn’t really work for me.

Flavors: Artificial, Cocoa, Earth, Metallic, Mineral, Orange, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 350 ML
derk

Chorange is a terrible portmanteau.

Mastress Alita

That really should’ve been a hint of what was to come right there.

Wow, mine had very little flavor! Not a bit of chocolate, a hint of orange, and then earth. It was drinkable but not enjoyable.

This was my first loose leaf tea, as I’m trying to break away from tea bags, milk, and sugar. It was very mild in flavour, but there was no after taste and the aroma was exactly as advertised: chocolate with orange overtones.

Flavors: Chocolate, Orange

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m always a little nervous about orange flavored teas, though I’m not sure why as I haven’t had too many bad experiences with them. But once I got over my suspicions and brewed a cup of this, I was pleasantly surprised. I sweeten almost all of my teas, and a little sugar went a long way in this cup to bring about memories of Christmas with my grandmother when she would buy everyone one of those chocolate oranges that you smash against the tabletop to break the segments apart.

I love orange-chocolate things, but this… this does not work. Super pungent aroma. The aftertaste is wonderful – a few moments after swallowing the chocolate comes through and really mellows everything out – but the beginning is SUCH a punch to the palate, just full-on CITRUS and also EARTH and they do not mix together well. I’ll steep it less next time to see if I can improve it.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Earth, Orange