Kenyan Black Tea with Lemon

Lemongrass
Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Kaylee

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This year’s NYC Coffee & Tea Festival was a bit disappointing, though I still managed to spend more than I did last year. The old venue was nicer – more centrally located and with fewer...” Read full tasting note

From Ajiri Tea Company

Ajiri Black Tea with Lemon won First Place at the North American Tea Championships! This delicious Kenyan black tea, blended with lemon myrtle, is exceptionally full-bodied and smooth. The tea is grown in the Kisii Hills of western Kenya, an area known for its abundant rainfall and fertile soil. Labels are handmade by women in western Kenya. Each label is a unique work of art, made using dried banana leaves. The bag inside of each box is tied with twine made of dried banana leaves, and decorated with brightly colored beads made of recycled magazine paper. All profits from sales of Ajiri Tea are donated to the Ajiri Foundation, which pays school fees for orphans in western Kenya.

About Ajiri Tea Company View company

1 Tasting Note

This year’s NYC Coffee & Tea Festival was a bit disappointing, though I still managed to spend more than I did last year. The old venue was nicer – more centrally located and with fewer temperature control issues. They were giving out free (empty) totes this year but ran out before I even got there. In general, there were a lot fewer freebies than in previous years. When they’re charging $25 per ticket just to get in without a gift bag, one hopes for some perks. I used a discount code, but that was still $15 for the privilege of spending more money. I did sample a whole bunch of teas in the process. Some were better than others. I took notes. Now I’m going to share them with you :-) Prepare to have your dashboards flooded, folks!

Ajiri Tea does truly admirable work. They employ locals in the area where their teas are produced to make the labels for their boxes and donate profits to pay school fees for orphans. I like supporting socially useful companies, so I always make a point of buying something from Ajiri when I see them exhibiting. This year I tried several of their teas before settling on the mango-flavored black.

I sampled the lemon-flavored tea first. Apparently it’s award-winning. I liked it. The lemon flavor was very natural tasting, neither too sweet nor too tart, but more lemongrass than lemon. This was a very smooth blend. However, the lemoniness kind of drowned out the usually hearty base tea. Tasty, but not my top choice out of their offerings.

Flavors: Lemongrass

i wish i could have been…but your comments make me feel a bit better about not being there

Kaylee

Yeah, the Midwest Fest looks like it will be much better but of course I can’t make it to that one. The NYC Fest just didn’t feel like it was run by tea and/or coffee lovers this year.