Blue Raspberry

Broccoli, Earth, Grass, Raspberry, Vegetal, Autumn Leaf Pile, Sweet, Tart
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “Holiday Tea-son! This is another addition to the Bird & Blend advent calendar that I decided I’d rather have cold than warm, so I cut open my sachet and let the leaf cold brew in 350ml of water...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 14 Bird & Blend seems to really like their butterfly pea flower! This one is a green base with raspberry. It seems rather weak. Bird & Blend...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very much green tea in flavour. I feel the raspberries need to be brewed longer than the rest of the tea, so it’s a bit of an awkward blend. I ended up putting the raspberries directly in the tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “I made another Unicorn Fizz a few days ago, because my last one wasn’t the unmitigated success I expected it to be. This time I used 2 tsp of leaf instead of the recommended 3, and only the tiniest...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Our magic, colour changing tea, Blue Raspberry is here to stay! Have you tried it in a Unicorn Fizz yet?

Watch this beautiful Blue Butterfly Pea blend change colour before your eyes!

The magical butterfly blue pea flower turns your cuppa a bright blue colour AND it’s totally natural. This pretty plant is full of antioxidants + our addition of raspberries + green tea makes it a green goddess indeed. Mixologist tip off – try adding a squeeze of lemon to watch the colour change!

Ingredients: Chinese sencha green tea (70%), blue pea flowers (15%), freeze-dried raspberry pieces (15%), natural flavouring

Brewing Instructions: 1 tsp per cup, 80C/175F, 3 mins.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Holiday Tea-son! This is another addition to the Bird & Blend advent calendar that I decided I’d rather have cold than warm, so I cut open my sachet and let the leaf cold brew in 350ml of water today. Now I’ve strained the cup and am ready to try it out.

I have had plain ol’ Butterfly Pea Flower tea before; the herbaceous, earthy taste of it used to be something I didn’t like, but my palate has sort of adapted to over time. I’ve never tried it iced before, though I have added it to a few pitchers of iced tea in the past just for the color. The flavor of the pea flower is coming off very strongly in this cup, as I’m getting that somewhat earthy, brocolli-like vegetal taste to the forefront; in fact, I’m hardly tasting the raspberry. Maybe that was luck of the draw with my teabag, I don’t know. I can smell a bit of raspberry from my cup, but the flavor just doesn’t seem to be strong enough to really be holding its own against how strong of a flavor the butterfly pea flower is, and if they wanted to emphasize the raspberry, then they needed either more flavoring or less pea flower to get a better balance (unless my teabag was just a bad representation of the balance of the blend, I’ve certainly already had that happen once).

Had I had the time, I would’ve made some lemonade to brew this in, as I think that would’ve been even better. I think coldbrewing a bit more leaf in some lemonade rather than water would probably be the way to go with this one. Lacking the time to make a pitcher of lemonade for one little teabag of leaf, I just added some liquid sugar and a dash of lemon juice, and unsurprisingly, that did improve the cup a lot — my favorite way to drink plain butterfly pea flower tea is with lemon juice and honey (or lemon-infused honey!) so I know some sweetness and citrus helps temper that overly earthy/vegetal note just a bit. The citrus-sweet also helped bring a little of that hidden raspberry tang out, too. So this would definitely be a lemonade tea for me… would I buy it just for that, though? Eh, maybe in the 20g size. But it was a bit underwhelming to me taken plain, and certainly not the kind of tea I’d like taken warm.

Flavors: Broccoli, Earth, Grass, Raspberry, Vegetal

Iced 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 14

It seems rather weak. Bird & Blend doesn’t actually seem to specify how much water to use for their sachets. I generally use 12 ounces for a single sachet, but maybe I should reduce it to 8 ounces…

Anyway, the flavor is somewhat weak but not bad. The green tea is grassy with notes of dried leaves, and the raspberry flavor combined with the freeze-dried raspberries is very authentic. But it is rather one-note, and I find myself wanting another flavor or two. Perhaps some citrus or vanilla?

Not bad, but just okay.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Grass, Raspberry, Sweet, Tart

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

Very much green tea in flavour. I feel the raspberries need to be brewed longer than the rest of the tea, so it’s a bit of an awkward blend. I ended up putting the raspberries directly in the tea after brewing. The colour is great and this is a fun tea, but the taste is not exceptional.

I made another Unicorn Fizz a few days ago, because my last one wasn’t the unmitigated success I expected it to be. This time I used 2 tsp of leaf instead of the recommended 3, and only the tiniest squeeze of lemon juice to effect the colour change. It was noticably better – the raspberry was a little more prominent and I found the whole thing less sour and unpalatable. The butterfly pea flower gives this such a funky taste, though – it’s really strong, and I think it just doesn’t work all that well with the raspberry/sencha combination.

I really wanted to like this one. As an idea, it sounds excellent – blue raspberry, tea, unicorns…what’s not to love? I’ll try this one a couple more times – I’ve yet to give it a chance hot, or cold-brewed. At the moment, though, I’m thinking it might be a blend that favours style (and appearance) over substance (and flavour), which is a shame.

Iced 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp
VariaTEA

I wonder how this would be as a tea lemonade and if it would have the same color changing effect…

Scheherazade

I might try cold brewing it in lemonade, just to see what happens.

VariaTEA

That’s an interesting plan. I look forward to hearing about it :)