Fruit Tea
Strawberry, Cream, Hibiscus, Raspberry
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper
Iced 6 min, 15 sec 25 oz / 750 ml

• “Bird & Blend Advent calendar Day 4: Pleasant. A bit more sour than I like from the hibiscus, but not nearly as sour as some others. Some teas taste best ;piping hot, Some teas taste best cold...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was the first tea I bought when exploring the Bird & Blend Store in England. Eton Mess is such a classic and delicious dessert, how could I pass up on a tea version of it. At first all I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea I wouldn’t typically have picked up 50g of, but the description just sounded so appealing. “Smashed strawberries with sweet, crumbly meringue + creamy flavours” – YES. I was fairly...” Read full tasting note
  • “I never drink a tea the same day it arrives, but I want to vote in the tea election, so I decided to make some exceptions. When I had this hot and plain, it tasted kind of like nothing. When I...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

This blend will put the meringue in your mug… We thought it was about time to pay homage to the everyone’s favourite British summer dessert. This blend is bursting with smashed strawberries and creamy flavours. Try me cold brewed with freshly cut chunks of fruit!

Apple pieces, rosehip, hibiscus, elderberries, freeze-dried strawberry, liquorice, strawberry pieces, natural flavouring.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Bird & Blend Advent calendar Day 4:

Pleasant. A bit more sour than I like from the hibiscus, but not nearly as sour as some others. Some teas taste best ;piping hot, Some teas taste best cold or iced. This one was best for me when it was warm. Still not one I would like to have a lot of, but if a friend served this I could drink it.

At first all I could taste was strawberries, like a very strong, super sweet strawberry.
After it cooled down some (because I did not wait too long after steeping because I was so excited), I could taste the meringue in the background, and the sweetness settled down.

I very much enjoyed this tea, and it did remind me of strawberries and meringue just not too much of the cream. I always picture and enjoy an Eton mess with loads of cream and meringue, and that strong meringue and cream taste was not there for me.

I highly recommend it as a strawberry tea with hints of meringue. I suppose the next time I may try it iced, and perhaps that will allow the creaminess to come through more.
Nonetheless this is still a very delicious tea with a beautiful and strong strawberry flavor that would make any strawberry lover happy.

Flavors: Strawberry

I was fairly worried when I opened up the bag – the smell is lovely, but gosh… it looks like a lot of hibiscus, which I really wasn’t happy about. Luckily, I either brewed the cup perfectly or there is a lot less hibby in there than it looks like, because the tea is not tart at all. Well – there’s a teeny bit of tartness, but not more than you’d anticipate from a strawberry blend. Creamy strawberry is definitely the dominant flavour here, and it’s pretty good, although I’m getting a staleness in this blend too (I’m familiar with this one and have tasted it before in other (old) herbal blends. Uncertain of the culprit, though.) It’s not overwhelming, but the tea would be much better without it.

This also reminds me of a DT blend… maybe a strawberry rhubarb tisane? I can’t remember. The flavour is familiar, but then again, creamy strawberry is not a particularly unique combination. Overall, this was pretty good but I really wish I wasn’t picking up that stale note.

tea-sipper

Probably David’s Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait?

I never drink a tea the same day it arrives, but I want to vote in the tea election, so I decided to make some exceptions. When I had this hot and plain, it tasted kind of like nothing. When I added sugar and allowed it to cool to room temperature…I have to say this is fantastic. Every sip tastes better than the last. This tea is impossibly creamy and the strawberry is sweet. It’s like having a strawberry milkshake. I cold steeped the blend for a tasty second steep as well. Oh I hope this one wins.

Another I was able to grab in the Boxing Day sale! I was intrigued with this because I thought it sounded similar to my beloved Jelly + Ice Cream blend (all the best blends are never in the permanent collection — I’d love it especially if it didn’t have coconut to ruin faster). This one is mostly fruity goodies and hibiscus, rather than the rooibos base for Jelly + Ice Cream. Sadly, I’ve never had ‘eton mess’ though it sounds amazing. This blend is certainly strawberries and cream! I don’t think I should use more than a teaspoon, because the hibiscus tends to overwhelm the other flavors. But I love the creamy flavor with the strawberry. This blend might have a little too much hibiscus for me. I’m very happy the licorice doesn’t seem to mess with the flavor. It’s a nice similarity to Jelly + Ice Cream, but that one can’t really be beat.
Steep #1 // 1 1/4 teaspoons for a full mug // 3 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
2019 sipdowns: 39 (Herbal Infusions – Cherry Jubilee)

Flavors: Cream, Hibiscus, Strawberry

AJRimmer

This one is in my B&B cart now! I was planning on making a $90 order in the fall (since I really want a big package of the seasonal sweet potato blend) and I could make the free shipping threshold, but I’m very tempted by this weekend’s free shipping deal…

Mastress Alita

This is the one that interested me the most in the Tea Elections!

Mastress Alita

AJ, they are never guaranteed to bring back a specific seasonal blend. They haven’t returned that specific sweet potato blend since that one autumn yet, so you could wait until this fall and they could have an entirely different line-up.

AJRimmer

I have been persuaded! I made an order of mostly spring seasonal teas so I won’t miss those forever. Man, I’m obsessed with that sweet potato one, so I really hope it comes back!

Mastress Alita

Ya, much like tea-sipper keeps waiting for the return of Jelly + Ice Cream, I really want to see Jasmine Poached Pears again. They also had one I loved called Lazy Boy and then they randomly brought it back during the the Boxing Day sales, but there was no way I could get it then. Just no way to ever know if/when they might bring a blend back. Everyone assumed their famous Christmas Cake tea would always be back every holiday season, then they didn’t return it last year… except for ONE DAY ONLY late in the season, and as a foreigner I LOATHE those gimmicky “one-day only” blend sales with those outrageous shipping fees. Grabbing the seasonals was a good call if you want to sample them!

tea-sipper

I was going to say, some of the teas are limited, like their current vote teas, so you could always just grab the limited teas and wait until later for the others.

AJRimmer

Man. Yeah the shipping prices aren’t so great for the US and it’s nice that there’s a free shipping threshold now, but I’ve never dropped more than $50 at a time in one tea order, so it’s pretty high for me.

tea-sipper

Did you make sure you had free shipping? B&B will discount it if you didn’t. I definitely have never ordered $90 at a time either… except maybe when Butiki closed. You could always try to organize a group order later on.

AJRimmer

Yeah, it had free shipping as one of the shipping choices. Yeah a group buy would be a great idea if other people are up for it whenever I’m ready to buy more tea.

I miss this tea so much!

Flavors: Cream, Raspberry

199/365

I bought some more lemonade last night, so the first thing I did (of course) was cold brew this in it. Obviously. This is the second tea I’ve tried from Bird & Blend’s new summer collection, and the one I was looking forward to most. Eton Mess is a delightful thing at the best of times, but in tea form? Yes, please! In lemonade, with all that extra sugar? YES, PLEASE!

I used 4 tsp of leaf in 750ml lemonade, and left it overnight in the fridge. This blend contains liquorice root, which made me rather sad initially, but it’s somehow less obvious in combination with lemonade. An added bonus, if ever there was one! In terms of taste, I mainly get strawberry. It’s the same kind of strawberry that’s in their Strawberry Lemonade, so if you’re familiar with that blend you know basically what this tastes like. The difference here is the creaminess, which is captures the flavour of meringue perfectly even though there’s no actual meringue in the blend as far as I can see. I’d even go so far as to say that the liquorice root helps it along a bit, since it adds an intense hit of sweetness that really helps to capture the essence of meringue as a flavour.

Basically, this one is sweet, creamy candy-like strawberry. It’s totally delicious, and does well to replicate the flavour of Eton Mess – if I were being really picky, I’d maybe say that it’s a bit heavy on the strawberry and a bit light on the meringue, but that’s partly personal preference. It’s still a perfect summer blend, however you look at it.

Iced 8 min or more 4 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML