Chilli Kale Matcha

Matcha Tea
Matcha Green Tea
Pepper, Spicy
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 12 Chili matcha?! Oh boy… Wow, they’re not kidding either – this has quite a kick of cayenne, even when prepared with milk. This is the sort of thing...” Read full tasting note
  • “356/365 Prepared this as a shot, since I wasn’t entirely sure how else to approach it. It didn’t seem like the kind of thing you’d drink as a hot latte, and I can’t drink matcha in water, so… I was...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Like lightly spiced Kale Chips, in a matcha mug!

A double whammy of green power in this blend of Japanese matcha green tea, curly leaf kale + a fiery kick of cayenne chilli to boot!

Japanese matcha green tea, kale, cayenne.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 12

Chili matcha?! Oh boy…

This is the sort of thing that I can only imagine working as a shot, because who is going to sit there and drink any amount of very chili matcha…? It’s leaving a lingering burn down my throat and at the back of my mouth with each sip.

So it’s definitely not for me!

From Bonne Maman, today it’s Mirabelle Plum (Mirabelle) spread! I happen to love plum jam, so huzzah! I’ve never had a mirabelle plum, the closest thing would be Lupicia’s Kotobuki tea. This seems more subtle than a regular plum jam, but still has a lovely stonefruit flavor. Yummy.

Flavors: Pepper, Spicy

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mastress Alita

That matcha sounds like the sort of thing that would only be useful as a terrible April Fool’s joke. The jam though… mmmmmm!

Cameron B.

B&B has some very strange matchas…

356/365

I was a little worried about this one, since I expected it to be very “green”, and that’s not usually my bag. In actuality, though, it’s a lot more palatable than I expected. The main flavour is chili, and there’s quite a burn! Not one for the faint of heart, but if you like your chili, then you need to try this. The kale is a really nice counterpoint, and not overly vegetal. It actually works really well as a combination, toning down the spice just a little, and providing something else to focus on as the chili heat builds…

The milk worked better than I thought it might. Creamy seems at odds with the flavour in theory, but not so in practice. The cool smoothness was really welcome. This is one I’d happily drink first thing on a morning, to help set me up for the day, or maybe with lunch if I’m flagging in the afternoon. It’s nice to have a matcha that’s not sweet; a fairly rare thing in the UK at the moment.

I didn’t think I’d like this one, but it’s actually a matcha I can see myself coming back to. Definitely worth a try!