Rooibos Tea
Cinnamon, Natural Flavours, Red Rooibos, Sunflower Petals
Cinnamon, Lime, Rooibos, Alcohol, Bergamot, Lemon, Nutmeg, Pepper, Smoked, Spices, Sweet, Tart, Wood, Caramel, Citrus
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 84 oz / 2483 ml

• “I ordered a holiday set because of this tea, before I heard about people’s experiences with it. Okay, 2.5 grams in the bag, 4 minutes at boiling. It smells like cinnamon and rooibos. Not a bad...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, this was disappointing. I actually joined tea club specifically for this since it wasn’t available any other way at the time, and was very excited about trying an eggnog flavor. This is no...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 18 I confess, I actually tried this blend briefly last night (I have a 20g pouch from the tea club) just to make sure I didn’t love it. It was for sale...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! So, an eggnog tea in the advent calendar today… I… have never had eggnog. It’s just always kinda looked sort of repulsive to me. I love eating eggs, but something about drinking...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A creamy, Christmas cup of vegan goodness!

Eggnog, is historically famed across the pond as a creamy, Christmas cocktail-like, ‘egg milk punch’. BUT, like all of our teas, this rooibos blend is nothing but vegan goodness! If that wasn’t enough, this brew is naturally caffeine free!

Ingredients: Rooibos, cinnamon, sunflower petals, natural flavouring

Brewing Instructions: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup – 100° water – 4+ mins – with or without milk

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

It smells like cinnamon and rooibos. Not a bad smell.

And it tastes like… cinnamon and rooibos. There’s a lime note others have mentioned. But it’s really faint. Setting that aside though, this really isn’t nog-like at all, aside from the cinnamon. Egg nog has nutmeg, and often cloves, and is creamy. This is quite disappointing.

To get it down, I mixed in some Silk Nog and heated it back up. Mmm, that blends nicely. I could use this to stretch out my leftover nog from the holidays. But as an “egg nog” flavor by itself? Nope.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Lime, Rooibos

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Mastress Alita

That citrus note is just so mind-boggling…

Cameron B.

Agreed, this is such a weird one from B&B…

This is no eggnog flavor. Sniffing it in the package, it smells very strongly like a floor cleaner, just vague chemical citrus scented thing. In the cup, it tastes like cinnamon rooibos with that kitchen cleaner citrus lightly lingering underneath. Actually, I think Cameron B. is right — it has bergamot in it. Buh. Okay, well, since I AM fond of eggnog (in moderation, because it’s kind of So Much) and this is nothing like eggnog, and I’m not so fond of straight rooibos, and almost never like bergamot, this is definitely not my cup of tea. If I concentrate only on the cinnamon, it’s okay, but Cinnamon Bergamot Rooibos is just never something I would knowingly order. I’ll try again with milk to see if that works better … but maybe not for a while. I need to get over the initial bag-sniff queasiness, which is really messing with my head.

tea-sipper

Citrus definitely doesn’t go in eggnog… maybe B&B’s blends were somehow scent contaminated by something else while they were making it? This blend doesn’t sound like it will be good for anyone if it has citrus.

Mastress Alita

I really think they put citrus flavoring in it… Cameron and I also tasted citrus. And yes, it’s repugnant. I have no idea what they were thinking with this one!

tea-sipper

WHY even call it eggnog then? odd. B&B better not start getting lazy with their blends… they are my tea heroes.

Mastress Alita

I have no idea… I’ve never had eggnog so I was really confused when I tasted a lime note. I couldn’t believe it actually tasted like that, but I didn’t have anything to compare it too. It just seemed too weird! I thought I was crazy until others confirmed they got a citrus taste too!

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 18

I confess, I actually tried this blend briefly last night (I have a 20g pouch from the tea club) just to make sure I didn’t love it. It was for sale today only, so I didn’t want to miss out and then be sad. Spoiler alert: I did not love it.

This is such an odd one. Other than being mildly spiced, it is nothing like eggnog (in my opinion). There’s a peppery note, I’m not sure whether it’s from the rooibos base or the flavoring. It also almost tastes smoked to me? And at the same time, it reminds me of bergamot? WTF? There’s a slight lemony tartness to it as well, especially at the end of the sip.

What a weird tea… I was actually excited to try this blend, but I have no idea what B&B was thinking here.

Flavors: Alcohol, Bergamot, Lemon, Nutmeg, Pepper, Smoked, Spices, Sweet, Tart, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Mastress Alita

Okay, so I wasn’t going crazy when I tasted citrus! Man, I feel better now.

Oh, definitely not heh. This is a “WTF?!” kind of tea. XD

Holiday Tea-son! So, an eggnog tea in the advent calendar today… I… have never had eggnog. It’s just always kinda looked sort of repulsive to me. I love eating eggs, but something about drinking them never appealed to me, so I never bothered to try it, and the fact alcohol was usually involved meant I couldn’t anyway (migraine trigger). So I have absolutely no frame of reference for this one. I realize as an American I should, but I don’t. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. In fact, when I smelled the dry leaf, it just smelled like lime to me for some reason? What is eggnog even supposed to smell like?

My brewed cup looks like a proper rooibos, and after it is brewed, it just smells like… cinnamon rooibos. I honestly don’t know what else I’m supposed to be getting, nor why it smelled so wildly different before I brewed it. Perhaps some sort of alcohol flavoring is in this? After taking a sip… I’m inclined to believe that must be the case, because I swear I taste lime! I’m getting a nice woody and caramel sweet base from the rooibos, with a cinnamon sweetness that is a strong flavor note but not heated or overbearing, and then this odd, brisk citrus lime flavor on the end of the sip.

It’s… a little weird to me. The flavors just don’t really mesh to me. This is probably meant to be taken as a latte, since the actual drink is thick and rich. But with only a single teabag, I don’t really have enough tea to do a proper latte. I did try adding just a small dash of milk to my cup, but it didn’t really help much… it’s that weird citrus flavor! It just throws the whole cup off for me. It that were missing, I’d be fine with this. I think this is a really nice rooibos base, and the cinnamon is on point, being nice and sweet and tasty instead of overly spicy or that annoying red hot candy flavor. Then that odd citrusy lime flavor — which if it is supposed to be some sort of alcohol flavoring really doesn’t taste like it to me, but then, I don’t drink alcohol, so what do I know? — comes in at the end and sort of mars the whole experience for me.

Is this what eggnog tastes like? If so, I don’t feel like I’ve been missing out on anything all these years.

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon, Citrus, Lime, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML
derk

I’ve never had eggnog either. It always seemed to me like something that would curdle in my stomach.

Mastress Alita

Ya, I love eating eggs, but something about drinking eggs always seemed off-putting to me, I guess?

Nattie

I’m the total opposite, lol. Hate eggs, love eggnog.

Cameron B.

I’ve never had real eggnog, only the kind in the carton.

Nattie

I’ve only had home made eggnog, the carton kind isn’t sold over here. It might not even be the same thing for all I know.

Todd

I’ve made real eggnog, had it in the carton, and had non-dairy non-egg nogs made with coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk. This is nothing like any of them.

Todd

(I don’t think I’ve ever had any nog with alcohol though.)

Mastress Alita

Well, maybe next holiday season I’ll get some of the cartoned kind and finally scratch the “never had eggnog” curiousity itch. :-P

Nattie

Does American eggnog not have alcohol in? The ones I’ve made have been very boozy. I did make a non-alcoholic version with rum flavouring once, though.

Mastress Alita

Most recipes call for alcohol, but I have chronic migraine and alcohol is a migraine trigger for me, so I can’t have it in any capacity. Ergo, I’ll just buy cartoned eggnog at the grocery store, which would not have alcohol in it. :-P

Nattie

Ahhh good to know! When I see people drinking eggnog from the carton on TV I always thought they were swigging alcohol XD

tea-sipper

My dad says eggnog should already be out of stores by now? Which seems crazy to me, because it seemed like it wasn’t even available for Christmas. But can anyone suggest which eggnog they like the best? I like the Hood eggnog, but I’ve hardly tried many of them.