2005 Changtai Yun Pu Zhi Dian / Top of the Clouds

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Dried Fruit, Eucalyptus, Pear, Fruity, Honey, Peach, Stonefruits, Sweet, Apple Candy, Earth, Forest Floor, Mushrooms, Apricot, Floral, Jasmine, Smoke, Smooth, Thick, Anise, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Dates, Marshmallow, Vegetal, Camphor, Mineral, Mint, Drying, petrichor, Butter, Menthol, Tobacco, Wet Earth, Wet Rocks
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “Gongfu, 100C 5g 100ml The wet leaves look darker than a young sheng, clearly this has been aged. Smell faintly like dry fruit. Only one rinse. Steep 1-4, 20-30s: immediately i am hit with a thick,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Have 25g worth of a sample that I just got around to breaking into. WHY DID I WAIT?? 5g in 70ml gaiwan. Water right off boil. Flash steepings x6-7 each friggn delish both in mouth feel and...” Read full tasting note
  • “My first aged sheng. Didn’t know what to expect. The leaves definitely looked more similar to ripe pu than the young sheng I’ve had. Rinsed for about 5 seconds, then did first steep of 5 seconds,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smokey, tobacco, sweet fruit (apricots?), smooth. Do not push this one too hard or it will be very astringent. Start with VERY short (3-5 sec) steeps for this first 5 steepings. I used 10 grams...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This tea was featured in the Serious Eats article Where to Buy Amazing Tea Online. Sample sizes are available.

This is a very special puerh prepared by the Yunnan Changtai Tea Industry Group. The blenders who work for Changtai are true masters of their craft. The leaves in this puerh are a blend of 15 mountains, Spring picked in 2005. The name for this cake “Yun Pu Zhi Dian” means “Top of the Clouds”. Since Yunnan means “Southern Clouds” this name has a double meaning. It refers to the heavenly experience and also that this puerh contains the best from Yunnan.

This is the one that I mentioned in our blog post from Lijiang. This is the first sheng puerh that really opened my eyes. That vendor was selling these cakes for $400USD/cake! We found a better deal with Changtai themselves. We bought as much as we could this Spring, but sold out of most of it quickly. We tried for a while to get more at a good price, but this tea has been going up in price every month since. We finally got our hands on some more to sell.

This puerh was aged since 2005 in Guangzhou, China. This hot, humid city was perfect for aging this puerh. This tea will brew smooth and mellow with intoxicating aromas and flavors. Apricot notes are often present.

Use 5-7 grams of leaves and brew with 6-8 ounces of water at or near boiling. Wash once for 3s, then start with a quick steep of 6-10s. With each re-steep adjust the steep time to your taste.

Enjoy!

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Gongfu, 100C 5g 100ml
Steep 1-4, 20-30s: immediately i am hit with a thick, silkt texture, with dried fruit taste, like dried pear—it is light and not too acidic. The chunk of leaves are still opening up, and seem to be mostly leaves with only a few stems. The liquor is a rich color between honey and molasses. By steep two this is becoming a little bit more acidic like a darker dried fruit(dates). The retronasal taste (finish) i notice an almost eucalyptus-like freshness.
5- 7, strong musty sort of spicy taste— is this what camphor is and what shou pu aspires to? I’m starting to get some astringency.
8- , astringency lightening, everything giving way to some sweetness/hui gan, and this induces lots of salivation. Liquor lightening, i wish i had leafed harder. Fading back to a silkier mouthfeel on the way down again.
One of my first aged shengs, and i liked it.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Eucalyptus, Pear

5g in 70ml gaiwan. Water right off boil. Flash steepings x6-7 each friggn delish both in mouth feel and interesting in taste change. Picking up notes of light woods faintly smoked, indistinct fruits. Not Bitter but somewhat astringent making me want more after each cup.

Im no ace at tacking down notes so take mine with a grain but I was very pleased with the first session of this sample.

Qi… yep there in spades too. loopy stoopid lookin at my toes like a stoner askin “What r those?” And Im not usually one to mention the feels. Pretty stoked to have received this little stash and would be very happy to have a cake or two in my stash.

How do I get bings past the spouse without getting more storage vessels?

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
mrmopar

Get to know your mail person. Bribes always help. Have a secret hiding spot.

Crimson Lotus Tea

We’ll deliver to your office. :-)

My first aged sheng.

Rinsed for about 5 seconds, then did first steep of 5 seconds, and increased by 5-10 seconds after that.

Wow. The imagery of biting into a slightly overly ripe peach pops into my head whenever I take a sip.

I wonder if most/all aged raw are like this. Impressive.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Peach, Stonefruits, Sweet

Boiling 4 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

You are on the path….

kevdog19

I enjoy this tea thoroughly. Very friendly semi-aged raw. This was the first semi-aged cake that I got, 2 of them to be specific.

Smokey, tobacco, sweet fruit (apricots?), smooth. Do not push this one too hard or it will be very astringent. Start with VERY short (3-5 sec) steeps for this first 5 steepings. I used 10 grams in 130 ml Jianshui pot. Next time will only use 7 grams. God solid tea. Easy to drink and enjoy.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 130 OZ / 3844 ML

Update 4/8/2017: I followed my own advice and decreased first five steeps each to 3 seconds. That helped a lot and the tea was much more approachable. This session went a dozen steeps, and although the later steeps were obviously weaker in flavors, they had a delicious creamy texture that made it worth it to keep steeping.

Original review:

My first sheng ever. Before this for puerh I had only tried a couple shu, and one of them was a realy bad marine backwater fest. So, I had no idea what to expect with this sheng.

I read of people talking about all these flavors and fruits in sheng, and I was skeptical that I would pick them out. So, the highlight of this sheng experience was how readily the apricot stood out for me, upfront and as a wonderful lingering aftertaste.

A second session made me realize that the apricot is actually for me closer to a dried fruit from the Andes in Peru called aguaymanto (Peruvian ground cherry, dried). There is a tartness. Also discerned a floral character, jasmine, and maybe honey.

But, I also learned with this tea that I was over-steeping it. With 5 grams/75 ml and initial steep of 20s/10s/7s….I was mistakingly trying to extract a more intense fruit flavor that way, but I instead was confronted with a smoky bitter burnt and too-astringent experience.

So I backed off, increased the leaf:water ratio and less time steeping, that mellowed things out. My bad, but I learned.

Really enjoyed that dried fruit enduring aftertaste.

Flavors: Apricot, Dried Fruit, Floral, Jasmine, Smoke

5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML
McNally

Thanks for sharing your first experience with sheng! I just started drinking them a couple of months ago and have fallen in love with them. Enjoy your tea journey!

shishupi

Thanks, you as well!

I really appreciate the longevity of this tea! Just 5g took me from morning to afternoon (around 8 steeps at 200ml each). It’s so smooth, tasty and buttery, without any bitterness at all in any of the steeps. This is the first Sheng I ever tried with some age behind it, and would likely reach for this over a ripe puerh (though I tend to favor young shengs and oolongs overall).
Very nice sessionable tea.

Flavors: Apricot, Smooth, Stonefruits

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Six – Tea #27
I had to try this sheng from the teabox! Again, I can’t really offer much insight into shengs, but this one was delicious but nothing spectacular. Mild, sweet, fresh, a bit creamy. The steeps never became too bitter while sheng is usually very touchy for me. Even the third steep at just boiled was tasty. A sheng unruined is delicious enough for me! Not much to say about this one, but I just wanted to make a note for my tea brain (Steepster) that I drank it. Thank you Steepster, for being my tea brain and being a gateway for so many delicious teas!
Steep #1 // 25 minutes after boiling // 35 second steep
Steep #2 // 23 minutes after boiling // 35 second steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 35 second steep

Got 17g of this from Haveteawilltravel’s stash.
The dry leaves have a faint smoky smell that carries over to the wet leaf, when some earthy aromas start to emerge. It steeps to a nice amber color.

Super smooth, a little smoky, definitely a light flavor to start. Faintest hint of some buttery notes at the very end. After a couple of the early steeps some dryness settles in and I start to feel the qi.

Around steep four or five the texture starts to thicken up, and I start to get that fluffy mouthfeel I’ve seen people talking about. It feels even thicker and fluffier if I let it cool.

This tea carried me through most of the day—from late morning through lunch with the SO and into the afternoon. I didn’t really get any sweet or fruity notes, but I enjoyed this and I am glad I have enough left for a couple more sessions.

Flavors: Earth, Smoke, Smooth, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I thought this was nice, but I am really no judge of puerh. At 15 second steeps they all taste the same to me, mildly sweet and mildly earthy. Still enjoyed it though.

I had this tea quite a few days ago and was not impressed. I tried many different infusions of it and each infusion kept tasting like dirty socks. Just not my cup of tea.

Liquid Proust

It’s some serious iron pressed stuff

Mookit

Hmm… What DO dirty socks taste like? :P

mrmopar

How much do you have left? Maybe a swap to take it off your hands?