2016 Hidden Song

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Berries, Citrus Fruits, Floral, Honey, Char, Spicy, Stonefruits, Sweet, Vegetal, Smoke, Wood, Camphor, Earth, Fir, Smooth, Sugarcane, Bitter, Green, Roasted
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 17 oz / 501 ml

• “Hooked on Sheng! I’ve been mostly a chinese green tea drinker for years. Tried shou puerh on and off many times but couldn’t past the earthy taste. Crimson Lotus’s website recommended puerh’s for...” Read full tasting note
  • “I guess I’m really developing a palate for shengs! First sip, and I was amazed at how good Hidden Song was. It’s my first real taste of a sheng with vegetal and spice notes. It was a tasty and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Drinking up a sample of this today. The wet leaf has a wonderful sour plum or apricot smell. The first steep comes out quite light, though the body is already coming forward quite strongly. This is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I received this sample from Crimson Lotus Tea, thank you. Flash steeped in a gaiwan I found the tea clean, sweet and vegetal. Quite mellow and easy on the stomach. I noticed a slight tingling...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This puerh is sweet and vegetal with an aroma of edamame.

Prefecture: Lincang
Elevation: 2200+m
Wood Fired
Hand Rolled
Direct Sun Dried

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Hooked on Sheng! I’ve been mostly a chinese green tea drinker for years. Tried shou puerh on and off many times but couldn’t past the earthy taste. Crimson Lotus’s website recommended puerh’s for new people according to the kind of teas they prefer. Under green tea Hidden Song was recommended with a couple of others. I was blown away by Hidden Song. It’s everything I love about tea in concentrated, explosive tastes and sensations. I’m now hooked on Sheng.

Flavors: Berries, Citrus Fruits, Floral, Honey

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

I guess I’m really developing a palate for shengs!

First sip, and I was amazed at how good Hidden Song was. It’s my first real taste of a sheng with vegetal and spice notes. It was a tasty and pleasant surprise!

Other reviewers mentioned that it was smokey a bit. I think it’s there, but very subtle and I wouldn’t have been able to distinguish it if I weren’t looking.

Good tea, I might cake it.

Flavors: Char, Spicy, Stonefruits, Sweet, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

The first steep comes out quite light, though the body is already coming forward quite strongly. This is quite a “mid-centered” tea, with a forward body and a hint of maybe spiciness to it. Overall it’s quite low in bitterness and has a long lasting aftertaste of mellow sweetness. Definitely an enjoyable tea for me, though I find it lacks any particular high notes and mostly hangs around in mid to low notes.

I received this sample from Crimson Lotus Tea, thank you.

Flash steeped in a gaiwan I found the tea clean, sweet and vegetal. Quite mellow and easy on the stomach. I noticed a slight tingling feeling on the front of my tongue.
When pushed a bitterness came to the front but sometimes I enjoy that kind of bitter.

I may order a cake so I can revisit this tea down the road to see how it changes.

After the gaiwan I got out my dragon egg Jian Shui from Crimson Lotus which I hadn’t dedicated. In went the Hidden Song, the tea found its pot.

My first tasting of today is hidden song by crimson lotus. I started by doing a single wash, there was almost no sediment and the leaves opened up enough that I decided a second wash wasnt needed.

The first infusion produced a very clear pale yellow liquor with a mild sweet and vegetal taste. I was very impressed with it was this flavorful on the first infusion after a single wash. The second infusion however was much better, a slightly darker liquor and a more intense sensations of the flavors and aroma as well as a slight wood and smoke aroma. Not too intense.. just pleasantly mild.

Third and fourth infusions were very slightly more intense, with the vegetal flavor coming out more strongly. I know Im missing some of the subtler flavors here, I can smell and taste them but cant quite identify what they are.

Overall the tea is nice , easy to drink, and refreshing. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for young sheng to drink now. I buy teas with the intention of drinking them now, not how they will age in a few years. And this one is sweet, mellow and vegetal and is very pleasant to drink.

Flavors: Smoke, Sweet, Vegetal, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

Here beneath the leafy green,
A hidden song you’ll surely sing….

Review to follow soon….

This one’s my favorite from CLT! :D

S.G. Sanders

Such a great tea…Thank you for the sample!

Of course, I’m glad you liked it too :3

This is another I got from Haveteawilltravel. The dry leaves don’t give off a strong scent, but once wet, the liquor is very earthy, smells a bit like charred wood and ends up being a much lighter color than expected

The first steep isn’t entirely up to strength, but it smells like evergreen and the SO says it tastes like a Christmas tree. There is a bit of a camphor-like sensation and aftertaste, and the mouthfeel is smooth and thick.

The flavors seem to really carry through steep after steep, even after the mouthful starts to thin out a bit. I’ve got another tea that this one has sort of reminded me of, and as we’ve got enough left for one more session, I plan to do another tasting of them both soon.

Flavors: Camphor, Char, Earth, Fir, Wood

5 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

FINALLY getting into my samples from CLT’s 2016 lineup. I feel like I ordered them months ago, but I’ve been out of state, so only got to unbox them about a week ago. I’ve been meaning to try some of their stuff basically since I got into puerh. I’m glad to report that this first one does not disappoint! The leaf from this one was pretty nice looking, and had a sort of floral hay aroma – I think I smelled a bit of smoke on it after a rinse, but that didn’t persist into the flavor of the tea.

Many teafriends I’ve spoken to online have issues with Lincang teas, but I have only had good experiences with them thus far. They tend to have a really nice sweetness and, again in my experience, not a whole lot of unpleasant bitterness or astringency.

The first two steeps here were floral, with just a touch of bitterness in the first steep. Soft and sweet with a literally mouthwatering huigan I tasted mostly in the corners of my mouth. That aftertaste was definitely the highlight at least of the early part of this session.

In the next three steeps, the floral notes dropped off a bit, displaced by a bit of a vegetal taste – the tea was still sweet and thickening up some. I noted just a minor astringency in a couple of these steeps. The aftertaste remained strong, having received most of the tea’s floral bouquet along with a sugarcane sweetness to round out the sip.

I got another 11 or so steeps out of this tea – that’s another thing I’ve noticed with Lincang teas, they seem to just go forever – all of which had mostly the same character. They were slightly bitter on the front of the sip, though this faded as I got towards the end of the session, with a vegetal or maybe herbal flavor, followed by a sweet finish – between floral and sugarcane. It maintained a moderate thickness. This tea never got super oily or creamy thick, but I could appreciate the body. If I had chosen to, I probably could have gotten a few more steeps off of it as well.

I found this better in the 100mL Jianshui teapot I also just got from CLT than in my gaiwan. I’m glad that I enjoy what it does with sheng so far, because it’s so pretty that even if it didn’t make as good of tea, I’d still find it hard to stop using it! After trying Hidden Song, I’m excited for the rest of CLT’s 2016 lineup, all of which I have samples of cakes of. Their sample packaging is also pretty neat – at first I thought it seemed a little insecure, but opening/closing the packaging a few times without spillage has assuaged my doubts.

When this tea was first released, CLT had a contest of sorts, in which anybody who could guess the song that was printed on the wrapper would receive a tong of this tea as a reward. During a google hangout with some teafriends, we spent probably a couple hours trying to guess what the song was using only the notes which were visible from the front of the wrapper, as none of us had a complete cake. Needless to say, we failed, but while drinking this tea, I found myself chuckling at the memory a couple times :)

I don’t know if I was supposed to keep that a secret or not – oh well.

Flavors: Floral, Smooth, Sugarcane, Sweet, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Now on to Crimson Lotus 2016 line up, hahah. Hittin all those vendors!

I love the packaging of his samples. The amount of tea is very minuscule, but the packaging is clever and aesthetic. The leaves are very dark and tightly compressed in small chaotic knots (no where near as tight as xiaguan). The small dark green tendrils give off a very sweet and green scent. I pick up some smoke and oak with a nice cooked green musk lingering off the leaves. I warm up my teapot and place a few bits inside. The scent mixes well and develops into a roasted green aroma. The scent is pungent, smokey, and strong. I can detect a slight sweetness in the background. I washed the leaves and prepared for brewing. The character begins sweet. I note a little bit of char and roast. The carries a strong green vegetal base. The brew stands in this similar fashion throughout the brewing. I noted a few steeps that were sour, and the leaves seemed a little mushy. I could note a faint huigan, but the sensation disappeared quickly. I didn’t pick up on any qi. The wasn’t too tasty, and it really isn’t something for me. I have one session left, so I will revisit in a few weeks.

Flavors: Bitter, Char, Green, Roasted, Smoke, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Crimson Lotus Tea

There should have been 20 grams in your sample. Did your sample have less than that?

Haveteawilltravel

as above ^ I did 10g sessions, for my pot is large. I have 10gs left.

4g:60mL, porcelain equipz. drank the rinse. workday steeps; simple notes.

sweet to start, shifting into lightly vegetal with a lovely floral-ish sweet aftertaste. kinda dry-mouth after sipping, making me want more tea.

very nice. sweet and light but has depth of flavour. nice smooth texture, filling the whole mouth.

4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
nishnek

Oooh, sounds like it’s starting to settle! I tried mine a week after I got it like a month ago and it was a flower bomb when I tried it, heh, will have to dig it out for another go.