Candy Cane Crush

Black Tea, Peppermint Candy, White Chocolate
Candy, Peppermint, Sugar, White Chocolate, Cream, Malt, Sweat, Creamy, Milk, Mint, Sweet, Smooth
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle

From DAVIDsTEA

What do skating, snowball fights and sledding have in common? They all call for tea. And this decadent blend is like a minty wonderland in a cup. Think creamy white chocolate drops. Rich, comforting black tea. Crushed peppermint candy cane pieces. And tons of cute little snowflake sprinkles. One sip of this sweet, icy-cool blend is all it takes to get you smiling from ear to ear – especially if you add it to your next mug of holiday eggnog. Could this tea be any more festive? We think not.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I’m sad to say that this one’s not for me at all. I’m really not a fan of how weak this tea turns out, I don’t think there’s enough literal tea leaves in this one. The white chocolate, sprinkles, and candy canes are so cute but too much for me.

Flavors: Candy, Peppermint, Sugar, White Chocolate

Love this one! To me it’s just the right level of sweet for a dessert or treat type of tea. I steep it for about 4 or 5 minutes, and enjoy it “black” (although given the white chocolate, it isn’t really black at all, haha), with a splash of milk, or as a latte. It tastes far mintier to me than the similar Santa’s Secret does, but also much sweeter. Where Santa’s Secret is a nice sipping tea all through the day, Candy Cane Crush is more indulgent and flavorsome. The black tea taste itself isn’t very pronounced, but all the lovely mint and sweetness does get a nice malty background from it. Definitely a favorite and it’s hard to resist having it all the time, but this blend has quite a bit of sugar for it to be an ‘every day’ tea. Glad it’s limited edition for that reason, haha.

I can imagine it’d be lovely as a strongly brewed latte topped with whipped cream – maybe next Christmas I’ll try it like that.

Flavors: Cream, Malt, Peppermint, Sweat, White Chocolate

A nice, minty black tea. Didn’t get the white chocolate at all besides making the tea look cloudy and milky (and pretty unappetizing). Personally I would add a bit of sugar, but it’s perfectly fine on its own.

Edit March 8, 2017: After drinking this a few more times the trick is to let it steep for an absurd amount of time like DAVIDsTEA’s “Hot Chocolate”. Then you will taste white chocolate and sweetness.

Flavors: Creamy, Milk, Mint, Sweet, White Chocolate

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

very peppermint-y, added too much sugar so toooo sweet. wouldn’t recommend adding any.

Flavors: Mint, Peppermint, Smooth, White Chocolate

This is super cute, but the flavor isn’t anything special. It’s a nice basic black tea and you can “feel” the peppermint. I didn’t really get anything from the white chocolate bits, although they clearly melted and made a cloudy tea. The scent is strongly candy cane rather than just peppermint.

Flavors: Cream, Peppermint

This is another tea that I’m happy I tried but even happier that I don’t like/love. It’s a very heavy tea, if I can even call it that, and I can’t imagine you’d get many steeps out of 50g/2oz. There’s a lot of candy in the blend and very little tea. I tried to drink it hot but it wasn’t doing anything for me. I added a bit of chocolate milk and that made it more drinkable, but I won’t be finishing the bag I’ve opened. It’s basically liquid candy cane, as one would expect from a tea called Candy Cane Crush. I was hoping for a lot more black tea flavor, so I could’ve done with about 1/4 of the white chocolate chips and 1/2 of the crushed candy cane bits. I’d recommend this to those who love candy canes and sweet teas.

Flavors: Peppermint, White Chocolate

1902 tasting notes

A pouch of this accompanied me to work today, where I am nominating it to be the next work tea.
It was really, really mild today, and, curiously, pink! I would not have guessed there was a black tea base in this, if I was blindfolded and given this.
In that case it will be a great work tea, though I do hope I can get my proportions right and release the peppermint goodness that I hope lurks within.

This one did taste like a candy cane. There are large candy cane pieces in it. It made a tea that was not clear. Good, but I would have preferred a black tea with candy cane flavouring.

Was excited to try this tea when it was announced and was surprised to see it as a ‘Tea of the Month’, so it would be a permanent Christmas-y tea throughout the year.

I ordered some when Santa’s Secret came back into stock and ordered about 100g of it.

It smelled alright, although not as strong in a minty flavour as Snow Day from last year. When brewed, it had a filmy coating on the top from the white chocolate. The taste wasn’t all that strong, wasn’t what I was expecting. I do like black teas, but was looking for a stronger mix of a minty taste and more of the white chocolate.

Basically, I was wanting a White Chocolate Frost kinda taste with a mix of Santa’s Secret, you can’t really get much of a taste of the peppermint or the white chocolate.

Will I get more? Not sure right now. I like SS more and mixing the two didn’t change much.

#ProjectTeaWall

You know, trying ALL the teas on the wall doesn’t get easier when we keep releasing new ones; but such is the nature of DAVIDsTEA. Plus, I did think it was cool we created a limited edition December TOTM this year since typically there just isn’t a December one. I tried this one the day it launched; I’m just only now finding the time to write about it. Obviously I knew it was coming out sooner than that; and I got a chance the smell the dry leaf a little bit sooner than the first official launch day so I was already practically drooling over the tin when I got the chance to sip away at it on shift…

Personally, I’m not the world’s biggest fan of Santa’s Secret. I can’t really tell you why ‘cause I don’t know myself – but it just doesn’t excite me the way it excites others. This is a game changer though because I do really enjoy white chocolate and White Chocolate Frost is one of my all time favourite Winter/Holiday teas that DT has ever released, so I was hoping the flavour would be comparable.

Here are the notes I took on shift the day I tried it:

- Sweet, creamy and minty
- Sort of vanilla undertones?
- Tastes a lot like it smells but lighter on the mint
- Definitely an oilier/thicker mouthfeel w. chocolate goo
- Interesting, and enjoyable overall but I feel like it’s not very unique
- Doesn’t trump WCF; but is a satisfying enough option instead of it

For the record, I do like it better than Santa’s Secret as well.

I’ve since had the chance to try it a few more times, and what I’ve found is that it works best for me when it’s made in a gravity steeper rather than the sachets we use in store or a basket filter; I think that’s cause the white chocolate gets dispersed into the liquor a little bit better? I also enjoy it a lot with milk but shamefully I haven’t tried it as a latte yet even though it’s crazy popular that way. And, longer steeping times are generally ok ‘cause it lets the chocolate melt down better, and there’s so much added stuff in this blend that it wont get bitter if you tack on an extra minute or two.

I just wish it tasted a little bit more in line with the intense smell. That smell is just drool worthy; but the steeped tea is only a fraction as potent. If we could capture the smell in candle form I’d buy like a dozen of them, though!

Friendly reminder that I’m not currently numerically rating DAVIDsTEA blends as I’m currently seasonally employed there and it would be an obvious conflict of interest. Any blends you see with numerical ratings were rated prior to my employment there. These reviews are a reflection of my personal thoughts regarding the teas, and not the company’s.

Shmiracles

i freakin LUV santa’s secret so now i’m super pumped to drink this one. i think i have a sample…actually i don’t. i just went to go check. (but i did count 5 bags of santa’s secret still left.) guess i’ll HAVE to go shopping on the DT website.
a girl’s gotta do what a gurl’s gotta do.

VariaTEA

I made this as a smoothie and the mint was intense. I think maybe its all just luck of the draw for what ends up in the cup because the mint when I had it definitely matched the scent.

Michelle

I’m really disappointed that DT isn’t making any tea scented candles this year… :(