Choco Chaga Detox

Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 16 oz / 473 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

With all the cleansing goodness of chaga mushroom, this detoxifying organic black tea with cocoa, carob and chicory root is like the healthiest hot chocolate ever. It’s so good in fact, you’re probably gonna want to go back for seconds. And who can blame you? It’s rich, chocolaty and 100% guilt-free. Enjoy it straight up or with a splash of milk for the ultimate superfood latte.

How it tastes:

A rich and not overly sweet chocolaty blend, with lightly fruity and earthy notes of cocoa

What makes it great:

● This energizing black tea is made with chaga – a magical mushroom loved for its detoxifying superpowers.

● Want to indulge guilt-free? This tea is like sipping on a mega-healthy hot chocolate.

● Turn it into a superfood latte by adding frothed milk.

50 g of this tea makes around 10-12 16 oz cups of hot tea and 5-7 16 oz cups of iced tea.

Organic: Cocoa beans, black tea, cocoa husk, roasted chicory root, carob, chaga. With natural flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Chocolatey, but I’m not sure I like that in a tea.

Please keep things friendly and .

Although this one was quite chocolaty, I found it has a sharp taste (I’m guessing from the mushrooms) that I did not enjoy. It’s a good thing I had a sample of this to try, because I was just about to buy myself 50g of this tea. I find there’s other detox teas by Davids Tea that I would choose to drink over this one. It did taste a little bit better with milk and sugar… maybe a little less steeping time next sample.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Mushrooms

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Got a free sample of this tea to try with a purchase I made in store. There was also a 20% coupon on the back for 1 item! Free tea and a coupon?! Ok! Thanks DT! I decided to try this as a latte and it was quite good-tasted like a hot chocolate basically with a little sweetener. I am not a fan of having Chaga mushrooms though so it was nice to try but I won’t be buying any.

Please keep things friendly and .

Not going to lie – I only picked up this tea because the DavidsTea employee was pushing it pretty hard and I had 50g of free tea to cash in. Also it smelled like chocolate and with the new year on the rise, I was pretty intrigued by a guilt-free chocolate anything.

I’m getting over a wicked bout of the flu and after four days of eating and drinking nothing but one egg and multiple bottles of gatorade I am finally able to drink tea again – WOW did this tea surpass my expectations! I expected it to be cocoa flavoured but weak, sort of tasteless and watery, like many flavoured black teas – but instead it feels earthy and deep and rich. The internet suggests it’s the chaga mushroom that provides this depth. Note that I did add a drop of milk to it but I have to say, this literally tastes like an unsweetened hot chocolate. Definitely would recommend!

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Earth, Mushrooms

Please keep things friendly and .

Welp; it’s happened – I’ve tried my first chaga/mushroom tea. I guess the good news is that I clearly didn’t die since I’m writing about it now…

For anyone “not in the know”, I have an allergy to mushrooms of basically all kinds. It used to be really bad but over time I’ve been cycling out of it and the severity of my reactions has gotten far, far more manageable. I’ve even been experimenting with eating different kinds of mushrooms in very small amounts at the recommendation of my physician. I’d never tried a chaga tea though because I just didn’t know how bad my reaction might be since it was a type of mushroom I’d not had exposure to at all before it starting trending in wellness/tea communities.

For anyone curious if I had any reaction at all, my mouth did get a little bit itchy for a few hours – but it was easily manageable. I also took some precautions, like making sure I tried it at the end of my work day, and ensuring I was with people just in case I did have a bad reaction. So, I guess this means I can try the other chaga tea in our line up, and after that I will once again be able to say that I’ve had every tea on the tea wall.

(Not in DT history of course, but for sure anything currently carried or that was carried at one point before my employment there.)

As for the taste of this tea? Well, I’ve never had chaga or most mushrooms on their own to really know what to expect in terms of that flavor – and my coworkers have all said that they can’t really taste the mushroom in this blend either, so I guess I’m not surprised that I didn’t really pick out any weird/different notes. It mostly just tasted (strongly) of chocolate? Like, a mix of dark and milk chocolate – with roastier undertones from the chicory. My immediate thought was just that it reminded me a lot of Cocoa Boost from the Wellness Collection in 2017…

So I guess, my final verdict is that if you liked Cocoa Boost then I think you’d probably like this one too? Or the same thing with Hot Chocolate. For me, I didn’t love the flavour enough to revisit this one in the future, especially given the whole itchy mouth thing. But at least I can say that I’ve tried it!

Please keep things friendly and .

Sipdown! I admit, I bought two tea samples one day just to get a preview of this one. Turns out, it’s actually really good. Quite cocoa-chocolatey; I’m not sure I tasted much else, but if it’s a “detox” tea it probably has a variety of other “healthy” things in it. Would I drink it again? Maybe, but I’m not sure I like it any more than I do cacao shells, and it’s probably more expensive.