Lychee Bellini

Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
Iced

• “I really enjoyed Peachy Lychee, so I was really hoping to like this blend. Alas, it’s way too strawberry-forward for me. Even with black tea AND hibiscus, the strawberry completely overpowers...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finishing off my weekend with a few more teas. It has been a fairly satisfying weekend (I suppose last weekend was, too), because I feel like I managed to get on top of daily chores in the house,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love lychee and I enjoy bellinis, but the strawberry in this doesn’t work for me. IT tastes artificial. There is also something almost sour in this blend, but I’m not sure what it is. I prefer...” Read full tasting note
  • “So now that we’ve covered the Lemonade Collection it’s time to look at the cocktail collection! Only two new teas this year (a lot of core features & returning teas), this one and Moscow...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Add a little sparkle to your weekend sipping with this classy bellini-inspired iced tea. Bursting with bold Chinese black tea, sweet strawberry and floral lychee, it’s a fun and refreshing way to up your brunch game or cocktail party – especially with a splash of prosecco. Break out the champagne glasses and get ready to bubble up, buttercup!

How it tastes

Bold and refreshing, with sweet strawberry and a light floral note

What makes it great

This bellini-inspired iced tea mocktail is made with an energizing base of black tea.

The perfect way to class up any occasion – from Sunday brunch and family barbecues to backyard cocktail parties.

Sip it on ice or try it with a splash of bubbly and fresh lychee for a mouthwatering twist on a white sangria.

50 g of this tea makes around 10-12 16 oz cups of hot tea and 5-7 16 oz cups of iced tea.

Apple, black tea, mango (mango, sugar), pineapple (pineapple, sugar), hibiscus, strawberries, lychee granules (maltodextrin, lychee), natural and artificial flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I really enjoyed Peachy Lychee, so I was really hoping to like this blend. Alas, it’s way too strawberry-forward for me. Even with black tea AND hibiscus, the strawberry completely overpowers everything. I love a sweet tea, but this is strawberry candy…or strawberry jam. Not my jam.

Flavors: Floral, Lychee, Strawberry, Sweet

Finishing off my weekend with a few more teas. It has been a fairly satisfying weekend (I suppose last weekend was, too), because I feel like I managed to get on top of daily chores in the house, and even make some progress on things that have been needing to be done for a while, both inside and out. It’s interesting how a clean(er) house can improve my mood, or maybe it’s just the fact that I’ve been getting some sun lately. Hopefully I can maintain the productivity this week!

Onto the tea. This is actually not too bad, although the flavour is quite fake IMO. Definitely tasting mango and there are some florals, though not as flowery as lychee usually tastes. I don’t know what’s actually in a bellini, if there are standard ingredients; I probably have never had one. It’s also sweet, but not cloying – I’d guess blackberry leaves but I just checked and apparently it’s just regular old sugar from the sweetened dried fruit? That would explain the lack of lingering, though. Probably should try it iced/chilled. Not a fave, but not bad.

I love lychee and I enjoy bellinis, but the strawberry in this doesn’t work for me. IT tastes artificial. There is also something almost sour in this blend, but I’m not sure what it is. I prefer the other cocktail collection teas over this one.

Flavors: Artificial, Floral, Fruity, Lychee, Rose, Strawberry

Iced

So now that we’ve covered the Lemonade Collection it’s time to look at the cocktail collection! Only two new teas this year (a lot of core features & returning teas), this one and Moscow Mule.

I like this one better – in fact I think it’s my favourite overall of all the teas that came out today. I was just SUPER stoked to see that we were taking another crack at Lychee, especially since I personally didn’t like either of our last two lychee tea: Decaf Lychee Peach or Peachy Lychee…

What I enjoy about this tea is that it’s REALLY rich, sweet and juicy – it’s just packed full of very dense, sweet and syrup fruit notes. The lychee is like lychee candy or cocktail syrup, which makes it incredibly fitting for a “Bellini” inspired tea. The strawberry is also very sweet & candy like; sort of a strawberry compote vibe. No tartness/crispness – just sticky, sweet notes, like the residue left on your fingers after eating a particularly sweet, overripe strawberry. They go together really well. While I’d love to see DT develop a lychee tea that’s a bit more natural that plays off the floral notes present in lychees, I think this really nails how fabulously sweet and juicy a lychee blend can be! I don’t think I could drink this one daily, because it is quite sweet – but it’s certainly going to become part of my rotation for when I want that fruity black tea that’s jam packed with flavour.

This tea will definitely appeal to fans of sweeter, fruity blends – and I think it’s a good recreation of the concept that inspired the blend. I like it a lot; just gotta be wary of the sweetness, for sure.

Kittenna

And here I find the info I’m looking for, which is how many of the new teas are actually new, and how many I should have already tried! Hahaha. I really need to go through that DT bin so I can pick up things that aren’t new, but that I can’t remember/don’t have any left of.