Chocolate Chai Supreme

Black Chai Blend
Artificial, Cardamon, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Ginger
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

• “I had to try a sample of this from an order a while ago, as it sounded amazing. With additional elements like nutmeg, chocolate and vanilla, it sounded like a blend I should try. It’s also on a...” Read full tasting note
  • “First to review! I should come out and say right now that I put Cool Whip on top of this, so I’m going to be getting more vanilla and creamy sweetness than someone who made this the traditional...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

All-new but an instant favorite, our Chocolate Chai Supreme combines the flavors of a classic chai with rich chocolate and vanilla. We begin with a base of blended Chinese and Indian black teas, then add all the necessities for a delicious chai—ginger root, cardamom seeds and pods, cinnamon (ground and in chips), and nutmeg. Finally, we swirl natural chocolate, cardamom, and vanilla flavor through the blend, creating a one-of-a-kind tea experience you won’t soon forget.

Ingredients:
Black tea, ginger root, cardamom seeds, chocolate flavor, cardamom flavor, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom pods, cinnamon chips and vanilla flavor. Contains natural flavors.

About Harney & Sons View company

I had to try a sample of this from an order a while ago, as it sounded amazing. With additional elements like nutmeg, chocolate and vanilla, it sounded like a blend I should try. It’s also on a base of Chinese and India black teas which also seem perfect for the tastes going on here. All the ingredients look extremely small in my teaspoon, so I just used one teaspoon. Overall, sadly, I was imagining the blend much better than the result: it seems like a typical chai, but with only a hint of mediocre chocolate flavor. The second cup I let steep for quite a while, so I think the flavors really made it into the cup. Somehow there were still a ton of chocolate flavor in the second steep. I’m also surprised the oversteep didn’t get a bite to it. It was actually quite good. I’m glad the black tea is brisk, as this is chai, but I was imagining the Chinese black tea itself to have a natural chocolate flavor. So this blend couldn’t live up to my imagination, but it’s a decent cup.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for a full mug // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // 2 minutes after boiling // 5 minute steep

AJRimmer

Chocolate chai is one of those things where I don’t understand why it exists. I haven’t tried it, but it just sounds unnecessary. Idk.

tea-sipper

It sounded like a great blend to me… in theory..

First to review! I should come out and say right now that I put Cool Whip on top of this, so I’m going to be getting more vanilla and creamy sweetness than someone who made this the traditional way.

This smells rich with gingerbready spices and warm chocolate. However, it already comes across as artificial chocolate, like a Tootsie Roll. Why is it so hard for tea companies to do chocolate right?? Is cacao too expensive?

Anyway, the flavor is less chocolatey than the aroma, as expected. This basically tastes like a ginger-heavy regular chai, with some odd spice notes I’m having trouble separating out. It almost tastes like rooibos. I only really get the chocolate notes on the exhale. This isn’t bad in any way, just not what I had hoped it would be. I need to learn to avoid Harney & Sons’s attempts at chocolate.

Flavors: Artificial, Cardamon, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Ginger

tea-sipper

oh crap, I thought I had written about this already. :D

ashmanra

My husband says their chocolate teas smell like mildew to him, so I don’t even buy them anymore. He can smell it as soon as he walks in the house. I would prefer cocoa nibs for my chocolate flavor!