Kumquat

Citrus Peel, Flavor, Indian Black Tea
Citrus, Citrusy, Tart, Malt, Orange, Orange Zest, Smooth, Astringent, Bitter, Grapefruit, Sweet, Earth, Raisins, Tangy, Tannic
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Its not often I like flavored tea, but this is actually really good! A delicious slightly bitter taste makes this tea fairly accurately named. I actually bought the tea for the aroma, and I am...” Read full tasting note
  • “So I made an order with Lupicia and was really saddened that the Kumquat was sold out. I mentioned it to Cameron and she told me that it was still available in tins. (Yay. Thank you so much.) I got...” Read full tasting note
  • “365 Days of Tea Challenge – Day 23 One of my very favorites from Lupicia! Unfortunately, this one is a seasonal tea that’s only available in the winter, and sells out quickly. I have two different...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love kumquats. There is a kumquat tree in the back yard of the house I grew up with and I have fond memories of eating these. I have a small tree in a pot at my house now. The fruit is the size...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

The sweet kumquat peel brings out a refreshing briskness in this Nilgiri black tea blend.

About Lupicia View company

I actually bought the tea for the aroma, and I am happy with the result. This is better than any ordinary “orange” flavored tea.

So I made an order with Lupicia and was really saddened that the Kumquat was sold out. I mentioned it to Cameron and she told me that it was still available in tins. (Yay. Thank you so much.) I got a tin of it and was really looking forward to it because I grew up eating bags of Kumquats… Until my stomach hurt. lol I travel a lot so I don’t see it often anymore if at all. I grew up in Southern California where they are more available, and my dad when he was alive, grew them and cooked with them too. I miss the Kumquats (and Loquats too) and especially miss my dad. Lucky girl to have had him. :)

I think of all the Lupicia teas I’ve tried so far, this one ranks number one for me. It tastes as Kumquat does. Tangy citrus, kind of like a tangerine but sourer, and unlike all the other citrus fruits, Kumquat peel isn’t bitter, so you eat the whole thing. This tea captured that perfectly. Orange, lemons, tangerines, grapefruits, although similar, all tastes a little/a lot different and this one tastes like Kumquats.

I’m so glad Cameron let me know that it’s seasonal, can miss out on them and that it was still available in the tins. I was just focused on the “out of stock” label on the loose leaf. I will drink it again and will probably revisit the review section for other thoughts and experiences about this tea.

Flavors: Citrus, Citrusy, Tart

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML
Cameron B.

Yay, I’m glad you like it! ❤

Kawaii433

I really really do, Cameron! :D

365 Days of Tea Challenge – Day 23

I have two different tins of this, one from 2017 and one from 2018. This is the older tin, as I want to sip it down first. This tea and its sister, Yuzu, lose flavor quickly and even have special notes on Lupicia’s website saying they should be consumed within six months for best flavor. So obviously this is a bit past its prime.

Still delicious though, there’s just less potency to the kumquat flavoring. It almost tastes like a natural note of the tea. I really enjoy the base tea here – I can tell it’s Indian by its brisk flavor and slight astringency. But there’s also a slight earthiness that reminds me of Chinese black teas, so I’m not sure if it’s a blend or if it’s a note coming from the Nilgiri tea. The briskness goes perfectly with citrus to make a refreshing black tea. The kumquat is a sharper citrus, and this has a nice zinginess to it that seems true to the fruit.

Still tasty, even though it’s on the older side!

Flavors: Astringent, Citrus, Earth, Malt, Raisins, Tangy, Tannic

Kawaii433

I hoarded this one o.O. I got a few tins when it became available (for like 1 day). #HoardCity

I love kumquats. There is a kumquat tree in the back yard of the house I grew up with and I have fond memories of eating these. I have a small tree in a pot at my house now. The fruit is the size of a large olive and the skin is sweet while the flesh is sour. You eat the whole thing like a grape and it’s a wonderful mixture of sweet and sour.

The scent of this tea is dead on and strong. It mellows out a bit once steeped. Adding a little sugar brings out the sweetness that this fruit has. Even once it is sweetened it still has a little tang to it like the flesh of the fruit. It is a really accurate interpretation of the fruit and the tea is well done, but I’m not crazy about it on first cup. I wonder what spices go well with kumquat and if I can blend a couple teas together to make a super kumquat tea.

Stephanie

ok I need to try a kumquat apparently :D

The first thing I noticed when I opened this is that the sticker on the tin said, “Best by 3/2015”…seriously, less than six months? That seems super short for a black tea. I emailed them to see if something about this one makes it fade fast or if I got an old tin.

The dry leaf smelled really great, like fresh oranges. Brewed it was the same. The kumquat flavor is very bright and I really enjoyed the cup. I guess it’s a good thing if I have to drink it down by March!

donkeyteaarrrraugh

i recall something on their website about expiration dates…..

Marzipan

I ordered four black teas in this order, all of the others had much longer dates.

Jennkay

I have a flavored green from Lupicia past the date on the package that still tastes delicious! So a black tea should be okay?

More Lupicia because I gave in and visited the store again. This was one of their seasonal teas that I really kicked myself for not getting last time, so of course I came home with it this time.

The blend is black tea with kumquat peel. Kumquat is one of my favorite hard-to-find fruits, and this tea captures that tart, sweet, citrus fragrance perfectly. The tea brews up to an orange amber color, and the tea base is clean and crisp-tasting. In a hot brew, the kumquat zing is delicious and quite sweet, in a way that reminds me of Korean citron tea, which has honey as well as citrus peels in it. Cold brew is less sweet and very refreshing.

I think I’ve been giving out a lot of high ratings lately, but I don’t feel that I’m being indiscriminate, maybe it just means I’ve gotten better at finding what I like!

Cameron B.

Ooh, this one sounds good. I’ll have to consider it for my Lupicia order…

Mikumofu

LOL, that is going to be the most epically well-researched order at this rate!

TeaBrat

oh, I’ll have to look for this :)

Thanks to SFTGFOP for sending me a sample of this tea! I really do love citrus teas.
This tea has a wonderful citrus aroma that is pervasive throughout, yet never overwhelms the scent or flavor of the tea. The tea is light and mellow with little to no astringency. It really does have a distinct kumquat flavor which comes from the note of rind. There is no artificial or bitter lingering quality to this cup. It’s yum.