Soleil Levant

Green Tea, Matcha Green Tea
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Rosehips

From Lupicia

Fine quality Japanese green tea is accented with the aroma of white grapes and citrus fruit. Added matcha makes for a clean brew with a refreshing taste.

About Lupicia View company

I did not like this one at all. Bitter and chemical and just really missed the boat. Cute packaging though. Check out my full review here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2017/07/18/soleil-levant-from-lupicia/

Nasty grape medicine flavor plus grassy sencha? No thanks. I’ve never had a grape tea I didn’t find truly disgusting (including some from Lupicia), so I didn’t have high hopes for this one when I found out it would be included in Lupicia’s 2016 Happy Bags. Still, I figured I might as well give it a try. But nope, it’s just as gross as I thought. Free to a good home!

This was a sample that came with the monthly Lupicia flyer. Opening it, I was greeted by a little cloud of tea dust and a mix of bright, fruity aromas. I was expecting this to be a holiday tea with all the bells and whistles, but the fact that it could be a green tea slipped my mind. But sure enough, it had a distinctive sencha-esque scent too.

Brewing this turned up one of the weirdest colors I’d ever seen. Have you ever seen a green tea trying to be red at the same time? Reddish green without being brown? That was what this was. The flavor of this was decent. The green tea base is savory, a little umami, a little seaweed-ish, which are all things I’m happy to find in a nice smooth sencha. The contrast with the fruity flavors is interesting, not what I’m used to, but it doesn’t clash either. The fruit notes are fresh and recognizably Lupicia. In particular, this has got to have some of the same stuff as Napa Blanc in it. Sweet and light, not cloying, but a little candy-like. I would recommend this more as a spring or summer, rather than winter holiday tea.

I am apparently unable to resist Lupicia Holiday Tins. I love those cute little things, and theres a fair number of their holiday teas that I really like, so I always pick up a few.
Which means that Lupicia has also sent a sample along, and this was it. Unnervingly I could not find it on Steepster, so I added it.
I’m not the worlds biggest fan of green tea, but I do love Lupicias fruit flavorings, and I’m still in “pour hot water down the gullet” mode, so bottoms up!
This is very mild, both in its green tea base and in its fruit flavor. As with so many things that Lupicia brands as their holiday blends, this reminds me much more firmly of spring and summer flavors.
I’ll hold off on reviewing this, as I’m an imperfect judge of green tea, but it was generally nice to sip.