Cacao Tea

Caffeine Free
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Tabby
Boiling 8 min or more 11 oz / 325 ml

• “Sipdown (635)! It’s been a while since I last had a straight cacao tea/tisane so I was excited to see this included in VariaTEA’s sample package. I know from prior experience that you need to let...” Read full tasting note
  • “This came in my Sips By box this month. It’s my first pure cacao tea! I’ve had it as an ingredient in chais and things, but never on its own. I’m seriously craving sweets right now, so I hope this...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the 4th and last tea to come in my Sips By teabox for April. It certainly smells chocolatey. Overwhelmingly so. Perhaps unsurprising but I was surprised nonetheless. I added milk and...” Read full tasting note
  • “just a short note to say thanks VariaTEA! i haven’t had cacao shells in my cupboard in an eternity and was able to have LB + shells today..so good.” Read full tasting note

From Micacao

Loose leaf chocolate tea made from 100% natural cacao husks. Made in Ecuador. Organic / Gluten-Free / Vegan.

About Micacao View company

Sipdown (635)!

It’s been a while since I last had a straight cacao tea/tisane so I was excited to see this included in VariaTEA’s sample package. I know from prior experience that you need to let these kind of tisanes steep for a really long time to get flavour, so I let this one steep for a solid fifteen minutes or so. It was definitely chocolatey, with a rich taste that was also buttery and surprisingly apple-skin like!? That last part threw me for a bit of a loop. The mouthfeel, despite the rich taste, was very thin though.

Not bad; good for a nice sweet treat. Like most cacao tisanes though, this is definitely NOT something I’d ever feel the nice to stock up on.

This came in my Sips By box this month. It’s my first pure cacao tea! I’ve had it as an ingredient in chais and things, but never on its own. I’m seriously craving sweets right now, so I hope this will taste the way I imagine.

The smell as I open the pouch is just like a fudgy brownie. A mouthwatering aroma. I wasn’t expecting it to be so enticing. However, the appearance is the opposite. The thin brown flakes remind me of fish food. Hmm.

As it steeped, the flakes sank to the bottom of my infuser. The water changed to a cloudy dark tan and I wondered if I added too much “leaf”. Steeped, the aroma is sharper and warmer. Like the way it smells when you take a chocolate cake out of the oven. I thought of going ahead and adding milk like other reviewers did, but I wanted to try it without first.

The flavor is not exactly what I expected, but it’s lovely. A little bit toasty, a little bit woodsy, and then rich chocolate. Lingering, satisfying chocolate, especially on the exhale. I just wish the flavor was a little more intense. I think if I were to buy a pouch of this, I would use even more than I did this time. It would be so fun to experiment with. Glad I got a chance to try this.

Flavors: Cacao, Chocolate, Cocoa

8 min or more 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Starfevre

It’s definitely good for a second steep, too, fyi.

I added milk and sugar in an attempt to make it desserty and it worked pretty well. The first part of the sip is a bit bitterish though that may just be me and my extreme oversensitivity to bitterness. The last part of the sip and aftertaste are very very chocolate. Wow. All things considered, I’d probably use this as an additive to other teas than just straight but this is certainly an interesting experience. It doesn’t say if it resteeps so I’m going to try later after my meeting.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Arby

I actually recommend looking into other cocoa teas. I’ve had some good ones that were very chocolately and rich, and interesting enough as a simple blend (usually mixed with mint leaf or vanilla bean). Also works well with freeze-dried strawberry if you can find a strawberry/cocoa blend.

Tabby

Yay,somebody else doing Sips by! I just got my first box. What do you think of it?

Starfevre

I’m pretty satisfied so far. It’s by far the cheapest box I’ve found and usually they have so much tea in them that I get overwhelmed but these boxes have a reasonable amount and I’ve only disliked one of the teas so far (inevitable). I haven’t worked my way through this month’s box entirely yet but I’ve enjoyed it so far. I’m thinking of buying a year’s subscription for my mom for giftmas actually.

Tabby

Oh, there are other tea subscriptions like this? I’ve seen a bunch that you could get from individual tea companies, but this was the first I’d seen where it was lots and lots of companies.

Starfevre

One that’s been around a bit longer is Amoda Tea, which is out of canada but they ship to the USA. Slightly less tea (3 per box). I did it for a while until I got overwhelmed by tea. I think you have a bit less control over what you get though. Worth looking into though, if you like that sort of thing.

VariaTEA

Yay! Glad you liked it cuz they definitely were not for me