Assam Black Tea, Bergamot, Blue Cornflowers, Ceylon Black Tea, Jasmine, Spearmint
Bergamot, Jasmine, Spearmint, Floral, Mint, Astringent, Drying, Tannic, Bitter, Sweet
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Ah the joys of a TTB, you know nothing about a tea until you try it. This one smelled interesting, maybe a bit minty so I brewed it up strong and finished off the sample. I’m not a fan of bergamot...” Read full tasting note
  • “TTB #22 I didn’t love this one, but I think it’s because I drank it hot. It’s basically an Earl Grey with jasmine and mint added and it wasn’t the greatest combination hot. But it looks like this...” Read full tasting note
  • “Work – 11:00 AM Sorry I haven’t been posting as much lately! I’ve been drinking a lot of advent calendar teas, which don’t get written about here yet… Plus there was Thanksgiving, of course. But...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first one up is the oh so evocative Front Porch Special, which is basically an Earl Grey with spearmint and jasmine…ah nothing quite beats a fresh glass of iced tea with mint on a hot day, it...” Read full tasting note

From PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co.

Sophisticated, Minty, Floral

Ingredients: Jasmine, Our Home Grown Spearmint, Bergamot, Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Cornflower

Caffeinated

About PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co. View company

Ah the joys of a TTB, you know nothing about a tea until you try it. This one smelled interesting, maybe a bit minty so I brewed it up strong and finished off the sample. I’m not a fan of bergamot or jasmine and the first few sips had more of a minty taste so maybe this tea is ok? As the tea cooled, it smelled more like jasmine and has a bit of a bergamot aftertaste. Sipping to the bottom of the cup all I get is jasmine and bergamot. Glad I got to try this, and it’s a reminder of the flavors I stay away from :)

Flavors: Bergamot, Jasmine, Spearmint

TTB #22

I didn’t love this one, but I think it’s because I drank it hot. It’s basically an Earl Grey with jasmine and mint added and it wasn’t the greatest combination hot. But it looks like this was actually intended to be an iced tea and I could see how it would be quite refreshing iced!

Flavors: Bergamot, Floral, Jasmine, Mint

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Shae

I love this one iced and sweetened!

Work – 11:00 AM

Sorry I haven’t been posting as much lately! I’ve been drinking a lot of advent calendar teas, which don’t get written about here yet… Plus there was Thanksgiving, of course. But hopefully now there will be more tea-drinking! At least until December 9th, when I’m heading to France for a week…

This one is from my Piper & Leaf subscription. It sounds interesting – Earl Grey with jasmine and spearmint basically. All of those things appeal to me, so I was happy to see this blend in my monthly package. Although I think this is intended to be an iced tea, that’s not something that I drink in the cooler months.

The base here is definitely brisk, and somewhat astringent as well. The spearmint likely exacerbates this a bit as well. Otherwise, it’s a nice amount of spearmint with jasmine and bergamot as supporting flavors.

My issue with this is, the base tea just doesn’t have enough flavor to make up for the astringency present. It’s very light on flavor – I don’t really get much other than briskness. And because of that, this one isn’t really for me.

P.S. – Piper & Leaf has some discounts going for Cyber Monday today, including 40% off their 35g packs of loose leaf!

Flavors: Astringent, Bergamot, Drying, Jasmine, Spearmint, Tannic

The first one up is the oh so evocative Front Porch Special, which is basically an Earl Grey with spearmint and jasmine…ah nothing quite beats a fresh glass of iced tea with mint on a hot day, it is so nostalgic for me. This makes a mean iced tea, just the right amount of briskness and bergamot with the cooling sweetness of mint and jasmine. Luckily the bergamot and jasmine are both fairly light, so I don’t have to worry about being overwhelmed by two flavors I am only lukewarm on. I tried to foist this off on Ben to try, but he is not a drinker of cold tea, what with being from the north (like really north.)

For blog and such: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/06/tea-box-express-june-box-tea.html

I picked this up, along with a couple of other Piper & Leaf teas, at the market last month with my mom. Piper and Leaf typically offers several loose leaf teas for purchase, but the main “attraction” is always the iced tea. They serve it up in big quart jars for guzzling while browsing the local wares. We always fill our jars with this sweet iced tea when we go, and this time my mom chose the Front Porch Special. One sip of hers and I knew I had to grab some of this to take home for myself.

As usual with the Piper & Leaf teas, this blend is very fragrant and smells very sweet. There are at least two types of black teas in here from what I can tell, though I’m not sure what they are. Both are small, but one is long and twisty and the other resembles tiny pellets. The mix is flecked with blue and yellow flower petals and green mint leaves. It’s quite colorful.

I used roughly 8 ounces of water here, but by the end of the steep I was left with only 6 ounces of liquid or so. Those leaves were thirsty! Once the hot water hits the tea leaves, the aroma of the mint completely takes over. The flavor of the mint is there, but it’s been overwhelmed by a certain bitterness. After the addition of honey, I can taste the mint more clearly.

Second Steep
8 ounces + 195 degrees + 4 minutes

The color on this second cup is lighter than the first but still dark enough to make me believe that this will be a good cup. I dropped the temperature this time around and it has certainly helped with the bitterness. The mint flavor has dissipated and left me with a still-satisfying cup of black tea.

Flavors: Bitter, Mint, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
teatortoise

Try slightly more than the teaspoon, for three minutes. See how that goes.

Shae

To help with the bitterness? I will try it – thank you!!

teacock

Hi—I was wondering if you have tried “velvet bliss” from piper and leaf? I have tried some of their flavors, and love supporting local and family business….

Shae

I haven’t! Is it a good one? I love the name. I’ll have to look for it next time I see them at the market.

Thank you again Shae! This is one of the best teas I have ever had cold brewed. Sweet, slightly floral, citrus twist, smooth black tea base. Very well balanced.

Flavors: Bergamot, Jasmine, Mint

Shae

My mom filled her jar with this one last time we went to the market. I chose something different, but after one sip of hers I went back and bought a bag of the dried tea to take home. It is so good!

Nichole/CuppaGeek

This one is my favorite of theirs so far!