Lao Man E 2014 Spring

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 oz / 97 ml

2 Images

• “I don’t even know where to start with this one, my first from Tea Urchin. Had this Lao Man E sheng puerh during a lengthy homework session and ended up stopping homework to revel in the beauty of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample from my Secret Santea this year – and very thankful for it :) I’ve come to expect a certain “cleanliness” from Tea Urchin sheng – I haven’t had a whole ton of their teas, but just about all...” Read full tasting note
  • “Totally gorgeous. I think the bitter puerhs were my first puerh love – dig me some of that Bulang – but this is the next level shit. It’s a glorious bitter, somewhere between a quinine bitter and a...” Read full tasting note
  • “My god, First thanks to the awesome Phi for giving me a sample of this one. Here is the best example I can come up with this tea, this is the bastard child between a very sweet yiwu AND a menhai...” Read full tasting note

From Tea Urchin

Our 2014 Lao Man E is a 50/50 mix of bitter & sweet trees. The aroma left in the cup is floral with that fruity sweetness of Starburst candy, plums and that airy freshness of watermelon rind. The wet leaves smell of forest floor and herbs. The tea is delicious, thick and oily, with a subtle sweet note at its core, wrapped in layers of bitterness. The sweetness crescendos over the course of a few minutes, emerging from the bitter aftertaste to reveal a blissful huigan with slight cooling effect.

About Tea Urchin View company

I don’t even know where to start with this one, my first from Tea Urchin. Had this Lao Man E sheng puerh during a lengthy homework session and ended up stopping homework to revel in the beauty of this beast.

This sample came in beautiful thin sheets off the cake. The dry leaf is gorgeous and velvety, shades of beige, grey, brown, auburn, black. Very little broken material. Smells soft, woody and nutty. Warming the leaf brings forward aromas of powdered sugar, tangy fruit, buttery mango. The rinsed leaf aroma is woody, fruity, creamy like frosting, mango butter, apricot preserves. Drank rinse. Color of apple juice, oily, slides around mouth. Sweet like marshmallow? powdered sugar? Very clean.

Softly yet deeply sweet and bitter. Like a swirl, not layers. Hints of milk, slight tartness on sides of tongue and salivary glands. Instant chills like White2Tea’s 2015 Pin but not as electrifying or intense. The hair-raising effect is much softer and rounder, more feminine I guess. Had to put on music, started with “Ooh Child” by the Five Stairsteps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrotsEzgEpg No idea where I went from there but I picked up the dog and sang and danced with her for a long while. Lots of laughing and smiling.

Third steep has some toffee in the mix. Fourth steep WHOA. Fifth, here comes the returning sweetness and deep calm. Liquor is dark red orange now. Sixth steep, watermelon like Tea Urchin mentions. Fruity candy tones. Oversteeped the seventh but still bittersweet, now with sour grapefruit tones. Eighth is vegetal, tart, some astringency that creates rough texture on tongue. Ninth milky and grapefruit sweet-tart but full-bodied that carries through for several more steeps. Ends still oily and thick with a buttery, nutty sweetness.

Spent leaf is amber-green, lots of whole, robust bud and leaf sets with fuzzy undersides. Looks just as good as the dry leaf though I do notice a little char on a few of the leaves.

Ok, I realize my notes are all over the place; sorry if there is confusion but this tea was dynamic and the energy was just incredible. I’ll have to come back to this Lao Man E with a bigger picture review of this tea. I’ll definitely be purchasing a cake of this to age.

Initial rating: 94+

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Kawaii433

I love that song. <3 Listening to it, it’s been a while. I put this on my wishlist for sometime in the future… When my inventory gets under control.

derk

Hit me up in a year :P and I’ll send you enough for a few sessions.

Kawaii433

ahahahahahaha oh man… #Truth

lizwykys

I love your descriptions; this was like a sensory rollercoaster! ♥++++ for dancing with doggo, and the Five Stairsteps.

mrmopar

And an underrated group for sure..

derk

Thanks, lizwykys. This tea is in its adolescent stage, so it’s kind of all over the place but it’s like a well adjusted teenager who is a star student. She’s in the National Honor Society,Model UN and debate team, plays in the band in the fall and runs track in the spring, goes to parties and lets loose but doesn’t drink and makes sure to call her grandmother every week. And she smells good.

mrmopar, I’ll have to go through my housemate’s record collection and see if she has one of their records.

mrmopar

Lots of good groups from that area. I wander around YouTube quite a bit some days looking for the older groups….

Sample from my Secret Santea this year – and very thankful for it :)

I’ve come to expect a certain “cleanliness” from Tea Urchin sheng – I haven’t had a whole ton of their teas, but just about all of them have had that clean feeling going for them. I don’t know if that’s really the right word, but that’s how my brain/taster/body process it. It manifests itself in both taste and body feeling. No off flavors strange sourness that can be common in puerh and no crummy feelings or roughness in the gut. It’s sort of become what I associate TU’s teas with – not that all others seem grubby in comparison, just that these are particularly…pristine?

This one is no different – it has a pretty heavy bitterness which I fully expected going into a Lao Man E tea. That kind of clean bitterness though – not really astringent and didn’t make my mouth feel funny or anything. That bitterness is followed by a nice sweetness, though the bitterness is what leaves the lasting impression in my mouth. Great thickness to the liquid of this tea. I didn’t really pick up on a lot of qi in this session.

Definitely one I would like to order at some point. I really ought to try to pick up more TU this year. Or maybe I should focus on drinking some of the tea I already have. What a crazy idea.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Totally gorgeous. I think the bitter puerhs were my first puerh love – dig me some of that Bulang – but this is the next level shit. It’s a glorious bitter, somewhere between a quinine bitter and a burnt-rubber bitter (but good!) – just hanging out and glowing while all this other oceanic stuff – warmth, passing dairy flavors, all kinds of fruity junk – meld and change and pass beneath it. And that bitter flavor just hangs out up there, glowing a little, and just being so insanely beautiful.

mrmopar

LME kicks tail and this is a good one.

S.G. Sanders

Woah….this sounds delicious (I love bulangs, so this might be up my alley).

mrmopar

@S.G Sanders, think turpentine strong.

tanluwils

My only experience with LME is with my 100g Bing I received as a gift while visiting a Yunnanese friend/puerh vendor in Beijing. While not the same tea, your description is almost spot on. I picked up a complex, evolving bitterness that seems to be pinesol, gasoline, fresh kiwi, and something in between.

My god,

First thanks to the awesome Phi for giving me a sample of this one.

a very sweet yiwu AND a menhai production like the New Amerikah 2. It’s not bitter
per my standard but I do not find the NA2 to be too too bitter which is to say that
I love my teas VERY punchy.

The energy that goes out of this tea is awesome, deep relaxed calm that help me
to focus. I paired this tea with some solo piano jazz and it was perfect!

I will definitvely consider a cake of it at some point!
Cheers