Organic Bai Hao (White Downy) Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea, Green Tea Leaves
Apricot, Butter, Chestnut, Cream, Grapefruit, Hay, Lemon Zest, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Olives, Peach, Pear, Plums, Spinach, Straw, Sugarcane, Sweet, Umami, Grass, Nutty, Tangy, Corn Husk, Floral, Grain, Nuts, Seaweed, Earth
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Growing Area: Nanning, Guangxi, China

Standard of plucking:One buds with two leaves
Dry tea: In straight needle-shapes, covered with a silvery white down, pale green in color.

Aroma:When brewed, the liquor gives a scent of a fresh millet or sweet corn note.

Color of liquor:Bright, clear, with very light almond-like yellowish color.

Taste:Mellow, smooth and without astringency. It gives a fresh green note with a mild sweet after taste lingering on the tongue.

Low caffeine (less than 10% of a cup of coffee)

Shelf life:18 months

The main production points of organic Bai Hao tea includes fixation, rolling, drying. The dry leaves are in straight needle-shapes and they smell vaguely of sweet millet note rather than grass-like aroma which is common in green teas. When brewed, the liquor presents a scent of fresh sweet corn note and a mellow, smooth mouthfeel with a lingering after-taste without any astringency. Overall, it creates more thickness in mouth when compared with the common green teas do.

About Teavivre View company

Fresh corn reminding flavor. Quite enjoyed it.

15s,15s,20s,25s

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Sipdown (256)

The new year is looming so my goal is to get in a few sip downs before 2019 is upon us. Ideally, it would be nice to get to a round number like 250 though with my mom still being temperamental we will see how far I get…

This is a tea that Angel from Teavivre was super kind to send me. Unfortunately I hardly ever drink straight green teas so I always overlooked this. In fact, it has been overlooked so many times that its best before date was a couple months back and I am only getting to it now. I used the whole sample in a 16 ounce mug which means I may have overleafed this.

I think I did something wrong or this tea is just too old because there is a bitterness here that I am really not enjoying. It starts off like a grassy/hay profile. Typical Bai Hao but a drying bitterness quickly just takes over the whole cup.

Here is another review from the backlog. I think I finished a couple samples of this tea during the first half of November, but I can’t really be sure. Prior to trying this offering, I discovered that I had actually tried a Bai Hao green tea back in 2016. That kind of surprised me too because they are not the most common things in the world. Unless it is Liu Bao, you do not often see Western tea drinkers paying a lot of attention to teas from Guangxi. Interestingly, I rated this tea about the same as the one I tried a couple years ago. I found it to be very, very good, but maybe not quite something I would seek out for daily consumption.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 5 grams of loose tea leaves in 3 ounces of 185 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was followed by 15 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves produced aromas of peach, apricot, straw, and plum. After the rinse, I noted new aromas of chestnut, sorghum, and sweet corn. The first infusion then introduced a malty scent. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of sweet corn, corn husk, peach, apricot, sour plum, chestnut, and malt that were backed by hints of sorghum molasses and sugarcane. The subsequent infusions introduced aromas of lemon zest, grapefruit, spinach, green olive, and hay. New impressions of minerals, lemon zest, grapefruit, cream, butter, spinach, hay, umami, pear, and green olive appeared in the mouth alongside belatedly emerging straw notes and stronger impressions of sugarcane. As the tea faded, notes of minerals, malt, straw, chestnut, and corn husk came to dominate the mouth, though they were backed by hints of lemon zest, umami, sorghum molasses, butter, and sugarcane.

Brewed gongfu, this was a surprisingly thick, filling tea. I was greatly impressed by the strength of its aromas and flavors as well as its longevity. It had something of a unique profile compared to many of the other Chinese green teas I have tried; in some ways it was a little reminiscent of some of the higher end Vietnamese green teas that are currently available. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this tea, but it would not become an everyday thing for me. Its chewiness, heft, and richness marked it as being just a little much for a daily drinker. Still, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a memorable, resilient Chinese green tea.

Flavors: Apricot, Butter, Chestnut, Cream, Grapefruit, Hay, Lemon Zest, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Olives, Peach, Pear, Plums, Spinach, Straw, Sugarcane, Sweet, Umami

185 °F / 85 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

I got this sample because I didn’t notice that I could get black tea samples. I’m really glad I did. I keep thinking I don’t like green tea much, but some of the samples I’ve tried (this especially included) are changing my mind.

The dry leaf was colorful, ranging from deep green to the soft white down of its name. It smelled kind of vegetable, like sugarsnap peas maybe. I steeped it on the lighter end of the recommended time, 3 minutes.

The tea has the same veggie taste I smelled, but only lightly. It’s mostly sweet, and mild. Nothing too sharp or grassy, but definitely flavorful. I think I taste something floral, too, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to steep it again and see. This is one I’d be curious to try gongfu, because I think it’d be fun to explore all the flavors.

I still prefer a rich and comforting cup of black tea, but this is lovely for the evening. I appreciate the chance to try it.

I don’t drink a lot of green tea. I prefer the high-octane black teas, particularly while I am working. But, I liked the name of this free sample from Teavivre and knew (based on the great track record Teavivre has, with me enjoying virtually all of their offerings) that this one was worth a try.

When I opened the silver sample package, the long wrinkled green leaves strongly reminded me of something that is smoked instead of drunk. The unbrewed odor also kind of reminded me of the same…uh…herb.

I followed Teavivre’s guidelines and brewed the leaves for five minutes (the recommended maximum) at 195 degrees (the instructions said 194 degrees but what’s one degree between friends?).

The steeped color was a brilliant gold. The flavor was nutty and slightly grassy but exceptionally smooth. I didn’t detect any other flavors riding piggyback on this. However, there also was an underlying tangy sweetness to the taste that I liked immensely. The slightly sweet and airy aftertaste floated gently on my palate until it regrettably drifted away.

Teavivre has done it again! They have taken a tea that is usually low on my priority list and made it so enjoyable that I heartily recommend it.

If I ever get to retire one day, and no longer need the full-body thunderbolt that black tea gives me in the morning, I will positively include AT LEAST ONE green tea to leisurely sip while I slowly churn back and forth in my rocker. Thank you, Teavivre!

Flavors: Grass, Nutty, Sweet, Tangy

Another delicious green tea sample provided by Teavivre!

I brought this one to work because the Brew Guide said 194 degrees and I figured it would be less easy to ruin it using the crappy kettle at work than one that required a lower temp. Also because drinking tasty tea at work makes my day a little bit brighter!

I probably oversteeped this but it still wasn’t bitter. I found it mellow and sweet and still has the umami type brothy flavourful appeal that these fresh greens seem to.

Still need to do a great comparison between all of them to test myself on noting the differences, but as of now I’ll give this one a great big thumbs up for sure. I’m so spoiled now, freshly picked green tea leaves?! Yes please!! Forever!

tea-sipper

This one is lovely.

This nutty and grass-sweet is a beauty to see. The image here doesn’t quite do the trick of conveying all the brilliant shades of silver-green long leaves piled together. The lush sweet and nutty scent is also absent; my nose interprets the aroma as nori with sesame oil.

If my lovebird was still alive, he’d try and be all over this with beak and talon, due to the taste and smell of hot millet. That stuff is the catnip of the granivorous bird world. Sweet and nutty grasses are mainly what I get out of this. When I western steeped it today a corn note became apparent as well.

I personally find there to be a bit of a bitter edge to this tea as well, much like actual grass grains. It really came out during a haphazard gongfu session; it reminded me of a less endearing version of Nepal Silver Oolong (What-Cha), which has distinct floral and orange-citrus notes.

Steep Count: 3

(2017 Spring Harvest)

Tea sample provided by Teavivre. Thanks for the chance to try this!

Flavors: Corn Husk, Floral, Grain, Grass, Hay, Nuts, Seaweed, Sweet

Very happy to receive this sample from Teavivre. Upon opening the package my nose was met with a wonderful sweet smell. It is almost akin to a cross between a Silver Needle and Bi Luo Chun. After steeping it quickly, the taste was also very similar to both of these teas. There are floral, sweet, and light tastes along with a new almost buttery and nutty aftertaste. The second steep brought some earthiness to the taste. Not a dirtiness like puerh, but rather just some hints of earthiness—almost like dry autumn leaves. There is also an increased amount of astringency. However, there is still a hint of sweetness and floralness like a Bi Luo Chun. Overall I really enjoyed this sample though. Excellent taste and aroma, not to mention the beautiful dry leaves.

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Nutty, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Another lovely green from Teavivre! Wow, these green teas are always amazing. The leaves are very long, wiry with a half and half mix of green and white color! It’s very interesting — I haven’t seen a green tea like this. The flavor is fantastic. The first steep couldn’t be better. Another perfect green tea for me. The flavor is bright, fruity, sweet with hints of corn, while also being very nutty (my favorite green type). It’s tough to explain this one, as it is a very complex green. The subtlest hint of bite or astringency also makes it perfect. The resulting brew color is a cloudy light green. It’s the most delicious green tea. So thirst quenching. I can’t say enough about it. I really hope I remember to steep this one exactly the same next time.
Steep #1 // half a sample pouch for a full mug// 32 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 30 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Harvest: April 2016

Thank you, Teavivre, for the sample!

Gongfu session with a glass pot. No rinse. Steeping times: 10 sec, 15, 10, 25, 45, 35, 45, 60, 90; 2 min.

Based on the website’s description, I expected a soft-going aroma, but that is not the case. The leaf – dry and wet – is very aromatic. Beany, buttery, grassy, and a little sweet. Fills the pot easily and escapes. Additionally, I smelled a little tobacco in the wet leaf after the second steep.

The liquor is pale green, thick, and full-bodied. Full of flavor from beginning to end. For the couple steepings, I taste strong and creamy notes of buttered vegetables, beansprouts. A little bit salty. They are very much like a thick sencha, having umami like a gyokuro. Beginning with the third steeping, the flavor becomes gentler and sweeter. Each cup finishes with a cooling mint leaf. I felt considerably more energetic after drinking the sixth steeping (I consumed 1-6 within two hours, about 12 oz worth).

Buttery green teas aren’t to my taste – they tend to be too heavy for my stomach. However, while this tasted rich, it didn’t feel rich. It was tolerable. Even though I did not take to loving this, I appreciated the mint finish and aftertaste most. I recommend this as an excellent summer tea. The brewing temperature may be a little high for summer, depending, but it’s worth it for the cooling note.

195 °F / 90 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML