Black Tartary Buckwheat Tea Whole Embryo

Herbal Tea
Sweet, Toasty, Grain, Nutty, Toasted, Baked Bread, Oats, Roasted, Bitter, Chestnut, Corn Husk, Dry Grass, Oak wood, Rye, Wheat, Brown Toast, Musty, Roasted Barley, Toasted Rice, Butter
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Arby
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 6 g 12 oz / 349 ml

• “Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #39 I was thinking this wouldn’t be as delicious as it is! But it’s a pretty tasty no caffeine option that I wouldn’t mind stocking up on. It’s kind of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got some of this from the Here’s Hoping TTB and drank it the other night. Very warming, soothing and easy to drink. It had a subtle, robust, nutty sweetness and sort of reminded me of houjicha. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmm, buckwheat. It looks like these little guys would be at home in a genmaicha. I can hardly resist chomping on a couple of these while I wait for my water to heat up! Crunchy! I’ve never tried a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample courtesy of TeaVivre ‘s generosity. I’ve never had a buckwheat or grain based tea before so this was an interesting one for me that I was quite curious about. It has a roasted...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Yi Autonomous Prefecture of Liangshan (Xichang city), Sichuan

Tea type: Fried rice tea

Dry tea: Plump-eared, uniform in size, yellowish-brown

Aroma: Full-bodied wheat smell

Liquid: Yellow green

Mouthfeel: Fragrant wheat smell, light sweet in taste, no bitterness, edible after being brewed

Tree species: Liangshan Black Tartary Buckwheat

Tea garden: XiJing Tea garden, 3,000 m above sea level

Fermentation: No

Sugar: No

Caffeine: No

Preservation method: Store in cool, dry place away from sunlight

Shelf life:18 months

Made with Black Tartary buckwheat kernels, Ku Qiao (苦荞, Black Tartary buckwheat) tea is known as a healthy pure ecologic coarse-grain tea in many countries. There are two types of buckwheat that are most widely grown for tea: black buckwheat and common buckwheat (yellow buckwheat).

Whole-embryo black buckwheat tea is totally made from whole embryo of tartary buckwheat as material, by puffing method after stripping the chaff (similar way as making popcorn). The finished grain-like buckwheat seed tea show yellow and have an intriguing wheat fragrance. Black buckwheat is higher rich in bioflavonoid, vitamin, cellulose, protein as well as other trace elements than other types of buckwheat tea , so it is praised as the “ king of the five cereals“.

About Teavivre View company

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #39
I was thinking this wouldn’t be as delicious as it is! But it’s a pretty tasty no caffeine option that I wouldn’t mind stocking up on. It’s kind of like the toasty part of a genmaicha without the green tea and it’s also very sweet. So toasty flavored and sweet flavored! It’s fantastic. Give it a try! It’s a unique option for night time.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons // just boiled // 7+ minute steep

Flavors: Sweet, Toasty

Got some of this from the Here’s Hoping TTB and drank it the other night. Very warming, soothing and easy to drink. It had a subtle, robust, nutty sweetness and sort of reminded me of houjicha. I could definitely see myself drinking more of this from time to time.

Flavors: Grain, Nutty, Sweet, Toasted

I’ve never tried a tea of this type before. The smell as I brew it reminds me of cornbread or some kind of baked good. As others have mentioned, the flavor is oaty and bready, though not bitter. It’s kind of sweet, actually!

I don’t expect this to be a particular surprise or a wow, just a smooth, mellow, bready drink without caffeine. Good to maybe relax to, but not for focused drinking.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Oats

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 7 OZ / 220 ML

Another sample courtesy of TeaVivre ‘s generosity. I’ve never had a buckwheat or grain based tea before so this was an interesting one for me that I was quite curious about. It has a roasted grain flavour that reminds me of steel cut oatmeal. It strikes me as a comforting and cozy tea for winter time but just a tad too bland for my preference.

Flavors: Grain, Nutty, Oats, Roasted

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 30 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

1975 tasting notes

I’m not a huge fan of the bitterness than comes from the deep roasting in this tisane, but I also like the complex grainy malt flavour. There are interesting (and expected) flavours of toasty sweetness, dried grain/corn husk, and chestnuts. Very interesting to try, but maybe not something I would keep around all the time.

Flavors: Bitter, Chestnut, Corn Husk, Dry Grass, Grain, Oak wood, Roasted, Rye, Sweet, Toasted, Toasty, Wheat

Boiling 6 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML
Nattie

Creepy name…

Arby

Haha it does sound kind of creepy

And now everyone has gone, Rita has returned to Peru and Ben’s parents have returned to their other home in Madison. This means I have the house to myself, well for a little bit, at the beginning of November Ben’s awesome cousin and his fiance will probably be turning into housemates, which is fun. Luckily they are both really cool people, so sharing the house with them will be fine with me (not that I leave the bedroom very often, but still) plus more people to share tea with!

Today’s tea is not a tea, well it is in the whole ‘it is a thing you steep then drink’ sense, but it is not made from Camellia so technically it is not a tea, semantics! Teavivre’s Black Tartary Buckwheat Tea Whole Embryo is a fantastic little grain that can do double duty as a drink and a breakfast. Fagopyrum tataricum is a species of buckwheat, meaning it is not a gluten having grass, it is also considered to be bitterer than common buckwheat, though I have never found it so. I adore this stuff, of the various grains I have steeped Tartary Buckwheat is probably my favorite. The aroma of the kernels is delicious, it smells like peanuts, toasted wheat, honey, and…well…buckwheat! The aroma reminds me a bit of peanut butter Captain Crunch, but unlike that cereal I can enjoy it without it cutting my mouth (seriously Captain Crunch, you kill my mouth.)

Into a pretty glass teapot the kernels go, usually I have problems with this teapot’s astronomically slow pour, but since it is really hard to oversteep this stuff I was not sad about using it. After they have steeped and the kernels have softened and expanded, the aroma is very tasty, if you are a fan of cereal. Which I am. There are notes of toasted grains, honey, cereal, and definitely peanut butter. The liquid without its seedy goodness is very sweet, strong notes of peanuts and toasted wheat with a caramel and honey finish. I adore how sweet this stuff is, and how it smells like peanuts.

This time of year just calls for this kind of drink, autumn and toasted grain goes together like peanut butter and bread. Which conveniently is what this steeped kernels kinda tastes like! With a thick and smooth mouthfeel and a soothing feel, this is the best thing to drink at 4AM when your region of the world is experiencing its first freeze. The taste is wonderfully sweet, like a honey and peanut butter sandwich on a nice toasted grain heavy bread. Unlike a lot of herbal teas I found I could get more than one steep, though the later steeps require a very long steep time so the liquid is rather cool by that point. Still super tasty though when chilled! One of the best features of course is the cleanup of the buckwheat, just grab a spoon and eat a tasty midnight snack.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/10/teavivre-black-tartary-buckwheat-tea.html

Evol Ving Ness

This one sounds fun.

Cwyn

It’s really called Embryo? o.o

TeaNecromancer

haha yeahhhh, it is an interesting way of just calling it a seed. Gotta love those translation weirdnesses

Backlog: Phew, it’s been a busy couple of weeks and I’m only now getting my feet back on the ground.

Thanks to Teavivre and Angel for this sample. I should have written about it some time back but life got in the way. I’ve not had buckwheat tea before, so had no clue what to expect. It was a pale yellow colour when brewed with strong cereal notes in the aroma, as you would expect. It tastes of toasted grains, kind of like puffed wheat or similar breakfast cereals, with nutty notes and a buttery feel. It’s a bit like breakfast in a mug, and makes a nice change for when you need a caffeine-free drink.

Again, thanks to Angel and Teavivre for a sample of this tea! I was very excited about it, because ever since Sil brought back some samples of buckwheat tea from her China trip (yeeaarrrsss ago now), I’ve been hoping to get my hands on some more because it was so amazing. (I haven’t tried that hard; I’m sure there are places to get it in Canada, but seeking out new tea is not a high priority for me at the moment.)

Anyhow, I brewed up an entire packet in a 10oz. mug…. and it was delicious. Sweet, roasty, a bit nutty. I can’t recall whether it was very similar to the other buckwheat tea I’ve tried, but regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and now I just have another reason to order from Teavivre!

Side note: I feel like there must be more calories in this tea than some… anyone have any insight on that?

Super Starling!

I live in a fantasy world where there are no calories in tea.
Unrelated: I don’t know if I want the word “embryo” to ever appear in something I drink.

Kittenna

Hahahahaha, I can see how that isn’t overly appealing!

Brews a pale yellow. Taste is surprisingly roasty although I brewed it quite strong. The second steeping was better I thought with more of a puffed wheat taste without the extra roast (although I am not sure that this is actually roasted).
I saw after on teavivre’s website that the recommended brewing instructions were less than what I used so would use their parameters next time.
A nice non-caffeine drink!
Sample from Angel at Teavivre – thank you!

whole Embryo?

caile

Their description explains the process better, but it is the inner nutritious part of the buckwheat that is called the embryo as far as I know.

Kirkoneill1988

ok, i thought it was a mistransalation

haha, I don’t think so..

Mikumofu

Tartary buckwheat is one of my favorite non-caffeinated drinks while in China, and it’s nice to see I can get it online too! It comes in two styles and the “whole embryo” is the less processed (and tastier) one.

caile

Less processed is good. :) And it is tasty!

Kirkoneill1988

i’ve ordered some from yunnan sourcing. it was ok

caile

I forgot I have some of the yunnan sourcing buckwheat as well. I really liked it. Not sure if they are the same but will have to have it again. I think it will be good cold too but haven’t tried that yet.

Kirkoneill1988

i really don’t know how to make iced tea :(

caile

Often I put the leaf I have already brewed in a jar, add cold water, and leave in fridge overnight. This way I get more out of the leaf and have a nice cold drink.
If I am just using tea leaves for iced tea, I brew it as usual, let it cool a bit, then put it in the fridge. If planning to add ice, then brew it stronger so the tea isn’t too weak as the ice melts. Or just brew strong tea and pour it over a glass of ice, and drink.
Another method people use is cold brewing which is just putting the tea leaf in water in the fridge for a day or so and it brews like that – very easy.
Give it a try. :))

A free sample from Teavivre!

I’ve never had a buckwheat tea before, but I certainly find this one enjoyable! Very clean and soothing with toasted grain, nut, and buttery notes and a light sweetness. The brewed kernals also make a nice snack. Since I have another sample packet left I think I’ll have to try mixing this with some green tea, maybe the Lu Shan Yun Wu

Flavors: Butter, Roasted Barley, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 6 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
TeaVivre

so curious about the taste if mixed with other teas.