Moonlight Dragon Ball White Tea

Almond, Dates, Honey, Honey Dew, Maple Syrup, Rose, Wood
Bulk
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This was the first time experiencing the moonlight dragon ball from Teavivre and I really loved it! As a sprouting tea nerd I was intimidated by the dragon ball (I really didn’t know how to handle...” Read full tasting note
  • “Made a pot of this one earlier last week. A big ’ol Western one, for clarifications sake. I think I should have definitely let this one steep longer; I didn’t really give the dragon ball time to...” Read full tasting note
  • “I recently finished my second sample of this tea that Angel sent. It was glorious, just like the first time. I steeped it many times. Sadly, it’s been a bit since I had it and struggle for the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! This is one from Angel at Teavivre. Thank you! I steeped this for about 5 minutes and since that only 1/2 opened the tightly wrapped ball, I probably should have steeped this for longer....” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Jinggu County, Pu-erh City, Yunnan Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with one lea

Dry Leaf: Hand rolled into ball-like shape covered with moonlight fuzzy hair, each ball is roughly 7-9 grams

Aroma: Similar to the fragrance of honey or dry red dates

Liquor: Golden bright color

Taste: Sweet and mellow taste with slight fragrance of red dates, the flavor of old white tea starts to become strong since the fourth infusions

Tea Bush: Jinggu Dabai Cha

Tea Garden: Zhuangli Tea Garden

Our Moonlight Dragon Ball White tea is made from Jinggu Dabai tea bush with the plucking standard of one bud with one tea leaf. It’s totally handmade and wrapped with an independent tissue paper for each ball that makes it very suitable for collection, storage and carrying. When brewed, it carries a crystal-clear and bright tea liquid, and notes with a honey fragrance greets the noise that combine a slight fragrance of dry red dates.

About Teavivre View company

This was the first time experiencing the moonlight dragon ball from Teavivre and I really loved it! As a sprouting tea nerd I was intimidated by the dragon ball (I really didn’t know how to handle this thing with my little gaiwan but didn’t mess up my precious sample) but I got some wonderful results:

First, I gave the tea two rinses (10 sec each) to open up the leaves a bit: the rinses didn’t do much to the consistency of the ball but released the most beautiful, strong and honey-like sweetness that made me really excited for the session.

I decided to go with a bigger teapot and 300ml of water for one ball of tea. Experimenting with steeping time and temperature and settled with 3-4 minutes and about 90-95°C water temperature (cooler water around 75°C did taste watered down). The first 4 steeps were 3 minutes long, after that I decided to go with 4 minutes per steep. Longer than that got too bitter for my taste. After the first steep being very light, like water with a bit of honey, the flavour really opened up in the 2nd and 3rd steep and from the 4th steep on getting woodier. Overall I got 9 solid steeps out of it.

My best description is euphoric honey water that heart- and body-warmingly ran down my throat like sweet nectar. It also has hints of dates and almond milk. From the 2nd steep on you can taste a hint of the darker notes to come. It stayed strongly sweet until steep no. 7 (after that the ball was fully disintegrated) But the taste grew a lot darker, a bit calmer (less euphoric), more like honeydew honey, and woodier, like a forrest (it also reminds me of some kind of black tea). It also got a tiny bit bitter and astringent (but in a pleasant way). From the 8th steep on the aroma didn’t change much anymore.
I really enjoyed this complex evolution of the aroma and figure it to be an effect of the tightly pressed ball shape that releases fresh, dry leaves for many steepings. At least I’ve haven’t had a white tea before that changed so much in one session. On the other hand I am a beginner without great experience in gong fu style brewing or many solid tastings under my belt.

At least with my method (300ml per steep, almost 3 liters of tea overall) the ball size is a bit big for just one person – unless you want to drink big cups of tea all day long. But I can’t wait to prove this to be the perfect party tea! I have a couple of friends who like to enjoy a taste from my little tea collection when they visit. Until now I always was conflicted between sharing my most delicious tea experiences with them (using a small brewing vessel, gong fu style in my gaiwan, many steepings and different teas after one another) and serving 3 to 5 people said tea without getting stressed out (short brewing times, a lot of steepings and teas, spilling hot water over a busy dinner table due to my beginner gaiwan skills, etc.). With longer steeping times, more tea to serve in one batch and a tea that thrives under said conditions (heavenly taste, changing greatly throughout the session plus evoking a bit of tea drunkenness) I am equipped for the next dinner party! So far they’ve loved all of my white teas; this will be a great surprise for them!

Flavors: Almond, Dates, Honey, Honey Dew, Maple Syrup, Rose, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 30 sec 8 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

I think I should have definitely let this one steep longer; I didn’t really give the dragon ball time to completely unfurl because I was more focused on not over steeping the tea rather than aesthetics with this pot, and in turn I think I played too cautiously. I mean, the taste wasn’t bad but it was just incredibly mild/light. Very, very soft and subtle notes of hay/straw and almond. I just found myself deeply craving more body overall from the cups I was pouring. It wasn’t a bad experience, but a slight let down.

Plenty more balls left though; so I know I’ll get it right next time.

I recently finished my second sample of this tea that Angel sent. It was glorious, just like the first time. I steeped it many times. Sadly, it’s been a bit since I had it and struggle for the words to describe it as my memory of it blurs into the “I like it a lot” category. Odd that I like something that I can’t describe what I like about it, but that is how it is. All I can say is that it’s good and you should try it.

ashmanra

I just may try it! I haven’t seen this one on their site and I do need to place an order in the not too distant future.

Sipdown!

This is one from Angel at Teavivre. Thank you! I steeped this for about 5 minutes and since that only 1/2 opened the tightly wrapped ball, I probably should have steeped this for longer. Nonetheless, the tea is the typical white tea hue so I figured it might be okay. Flavorwise, it is light but flavorful with notes often associated with white tea like sweet corn, hay and butter. It is good but it is also a plain white tea, which is not something I reach for very often. So, I would recommend this for those who enjoy white teas even though I myself probably won’t revisit it anytime soon.

This is a fantastic white tea presented in a unique way! Each dragon ball looks to be about an inch across and individually wrapped in tissue paper. It has the appearance of big ole white leaves wrapped into a sphere. Such a lovely sweet flavor results! I could swear there is some sugar mixed in with these white tea leaves. The flavor is light yet smooth and full for a white tea. The second steep is even thicker, like a syrup with a lovely white tea flavor — something deeper than the first steep but not astringent. The third steep is more autumnal flavored — still delicious but I think the third steep could have waited a few more minutes after boiling for the best of that light, syrupy, sweet flavor. I think I could keep steeping this many more times! I’d stock up on this one. If you’re looking for a delicious white tea, this is it. It doesn’t even taste like a usual white tea to me — only sweetness and light.
Steep #1 // 1 piece for a full mug// 20 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 15 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #3 // 5 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

Another one from Angel this was interesting to me. Tightly packed ball. I’ve steeped this a few times now – the first was a long steep which barely opened the ball up. THis has a light taste to it…slightly sweet as infusions moved on. It probably didn’t get stronger until after the 5th? infusion, but i did lose track of things.

I’m in love with this tea. I was already in love with it as I unwrapped the fragrant little ball composed of downy leaves and dropped it into my basket. What could be easier? After brewing a dozen different teas in a week I admit I am lazy.

The flavors were bright, fragrant, lightly floral but in no way as forward as some jasmine or oolongs, and subtly sweet. Brewed well even after a few long infusions (forgot it, as I said, was lazy).