Taiwan GABA Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, banana, Brown Sugar, Cream, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Nuts, Pear, Vanilla, Cherry, Dried Fruit, Spices, Almond, Dates, Fig, Herbs, Mineral, Orange, Peach, Peanut, Raisins, Red Apple, Straw, Wood, Cinnamon, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Coconut, Toasted, Earth, Tangy
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “This is quite different from the Vietnamese GABA Oolong. The aroma of the wet leaves reminds me of yummy fried plantains, the sweetness, and slightly tart aroma. The flavor profile was complex...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve almost finished the 50g bag. It was my first GABA oolong, and likely won’t be my last. The texture of this tea really stands out to me—it’s thick and has a wonderfully full mouthfeel. It...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m still getting used to these GABA oolongs. I like them, but I often find them a bit confounding. I finished the last of a 10 gram sample of this tea yesterday afternoon, and now that I have had...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first time I brewed this tea I didn’t quite know what to expect. I had heard much about how this tea was processed and I was excited to try something that was pretty unique. Along with being...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A smooth and sweet oolong with notes of vanilla and pear accompanied by a slight tartness.

About What-Cha View company

This is quite different from the Vietnamese GABA Oolong. The aroma of the wet leaves reminds me of yummy fried plantains, the sweetness, and slightly tart aroma. The flavor profile was complex (beyond me).

It was mildly sweet with brown sugar and honey notes. My throat is kind of sore today (hope I’m not getting sick but have no other symptoms.) I found it to be very soothing to the throat due to the thickness and comforting creamy feel. I love to read the great reviews and there were lots of different notes mentioned. This time around, I got the pear, nuts, baked bread, malt, vanilla, and some mineral notes. It is a solid GABA oolong and I look forward to trying it again, perhaps alongside What-Cha’s Vietnamese GABA. I “think” I prefer the Vietnamese one but I recommend both to anyone into GABA oolongs.

5g, 195°F, 110ml, rinse, 8 steeps: 10s, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s

Flavors: Baked Bread, banana, Brown Sugar, Cream, Creamy, Honey, Malt, Nuts, Pear, Vanilla

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

I’ve almost finished the 50g bag. It was my first GABA oolong, and likely won’t be my last. The texture of this tea really stands out to me—it’s thick and has a wonderfully full mouthfeel. It tastes of cooked fruit alongside some of that bready taste of a roasted oolong. Very complex and fascinating to drink, I love the way that the sweet taste of cooked fruit mixes with the spicy (not spicy as in hot but tasting of spices). Definitely one to come back to. The GABA does make me feel less anxious, it’s different from a tea-drunkeness and more like a mellowed calm.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cherry, Dried Fruit, Spices

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I’m still getting used to these GABA oolongs. I like them, but I often find them a bit confounding. I finished the last of a 10 gram sample of this tea yesterday afternoon, and now that I have had a little time to process my experience with it, I can safely say that I found it very enjoyable.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 8 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 10 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, I detected aromas of cream, raisin, and pear coming from the dry tea leaves. The rinse brought out aromas of honey, fig, and prune. I failed to detect any new aromas on the first infusion. In the mouth, I noted flavors of cream, pear, fig, honey, raisin, and prune. Oddly, there was a hint of straw toward the finish. Subsequent infusions brought out stronger straw impressions as well as baked bread, brown sugar, vanilla, malt, orange, mineral, and date notes. Hints of roasted almond, roasted peanut, wood, peach, red apple, and herbs were also detectable in places. The later infusions offered lingering mineral, straw, baked bread, and roasted almond notes that were underscored by traces of orange, pear, honey, red apple, and raisin.

A complex and relatively long-lived tea, I found a lot to enjoy with this one. It was very smooth and mellow in the mouth despite being a touch syrupy at times. All of the aroma and flavor components worked well together. Overall, this was just a nicely balanced, pleasant, aromatic, and flavorful oolong. I could not find any glaring flaws and would have no issue recommending it to fans of Taiwanese oolongs.

Flavors: Almond, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Cream, Dates, Dried Fruit, Fig, Herbs, Honey, Mineral, Orange, Peach, Peanut, Pear, Raisins, Red Apple, Straw, Vanilla, Wood

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

The first time I brewed this tea I didn’t quite know what to expect. I had heard much about how this tea was processed and I was excited to try something that was pretty unique. Along with being from Taiwan which is probably my favorite tea making region. The first time I steeped this I went crazy and went with a 6g/70mL ratio. The first steeps were incredibly sweet. The front notes just taste like deep baked cherries that were shoved in a pie with a bunch of spices like cinnamon. It reminds me a lot of my mom’s kitchen when she would back in the winter and let me have some warm cider (non-alcoholic). I’ve had this tea many more times and bought a pretty large amount after receiving the small sample I got from my first order at What-cha. Every time I make it those strong baked cherry notes transport me back in time. This tea is delicious at almost every temperature but I think 195 is the best for me. A little cooler you get more fruityness but like smokyness and less spices. Hotter and there is not enough fruitiness and a lot more smokiness.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cherry, Cinnamon, Honey, Smoke, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

Love this stuff.

Burnt honey with a glossy, almost cloying sweetness-effect. Vanilla aroma.

I cant believe these GABA teas get such mixed reviews, whats not to like about burnt honey & vanilla?

I do it gongfu, slightly more aggressive than for shengs. Nom factor 10

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Honey, Vanilla

Daylon R Thomas

Maybe it’s that tea because a lot of the reviews for it are pretty positive.

Daylon R Thomas

And I know that I really like it.

wildeherz

I think they may get negative points from some because of the marketing as GABA teas. Do you perceive a different body-mind effect when drinking them?

Hoalatha’s note got me excited for this one, and after finishing off the last of my GABA oolong, I figured to try some more. Alistair’s notes were also promising and my gut feeling told me this would taste on the Oriental Beauty side of Formosa/Taiwan oolongs.

It did, and for me, was very grapy. Thank heavens it lacked the drying effects that an Oriental Beauty normally has, and is less malty. The taste and the tea’s color reminded me of red-skinned pears and had a fruit sweetness. The texture was smooth and thick. I partially understood the vanilla note because it has the boozy rising aftertaste vanilla does, but without the sweetness. Instead, it ends with more with the grape note.

I’m quite happy with my sample and would probably order this again. It was very similar to the GABA Oolong Taiwan Sourcing sells because the oxidation and the roasting were very close. I like it period.

Now there are so many other teas to write about…

Summary: Sweet and fruity medium roast oolong with a long slow aftertaste and syrupy thick texture. Still trying to unlock this one.

Prep: Tried gongfu parameters: boiling, full pot of leaves, 10s steep then increasing time slowly. Also tried recommended parameters: 1 tsp per cup with 190F water and 2 minute infusion.
Sessions with this tea: 4

Taste: Sweet like cherries. No astringency, no minerality, only hints of roastiness. Floral and fragrant. Slightly sour aftertaste, seems to fit with the cherries. I don’t get any pear.

Body: Thick slurpy mouthfeel. Thick slurpy swallow. Mellowing rather than energy-giving.

I need to update this review when I have more sessions and get a better sense of the GABA feeling.

Drank this with some macarons yesterday after dropping Zeus off at the vet. Glad I’ve got more on the way!

At least three people told me that this tea was going to be “weird” because “all GABAs are,” so I was all ready to expect weird. While this tea certainly wasn’t what I was expecting, I wouldn’t describe it as weird.

The dry leaf has a creamy aroma that made me excited to brew it. 190º for 2 minutes, and I’m getting a sweet cream aroma with some cinnamon. It smells almost exactly like the cinnamon buns at Ikea.

Taking a sip, there is a hint of astringency that reminds me a bit of black tea. There’s an initial shock to the tongue, like a gentle poke that says “tea!” Maybe it’s a little fermenty flavor? I’m not sure. There’s a hint of earthiness at the base of the flavor. But none of these are the dominating flavors.

Dominating flavors are overtones of creamy sweetness and vanilla. Maybe the smell is messing with my brain, but I almost think I can taste the smallest hint of cinnamon. I’m never really able to taste the fruit that sites describe in their teas, so I’m not surprised that I can’t find the pear.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Creamy, Earth, Tangy, Vanilla