Vietnam 'Shan Tuyet' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cedar, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange Zest, Pine, Plums, Smoke, Toast, Chocolate, Fruity, Pear, Smooth, White Grapes, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “I finally got around to starting on a sample pouch of this tea last night. On that note, I really must get out of the habit of drinking tea in the evening as it is starting to interfere with my...” Read full tasting note
  • “So far, I’ve been reviewing only teas I love, and this is no exception. I thought it had just a little bit of astringency, which I like in a breakfast tea, but it still was very smooth and malty. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve given this tea another go, using more water and a slightly lower temp. The leaves are not very aromatic, but there is a scent of dry chocolate perhaps. The tea is very light and smooth,...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Origin: Tay Con Linh Mountain
Ha Giang, Vietnam

About What-Cha View company

I finally got around to starting on a sample pouch of this tea last night. On that note, I really must get out of the habit of drinking tea in the evening as it is starting to interfere with my sleep patterns. Fortunately, I still work for my family and I’m in charge of my own scheduling, so it’s not that big of a deal right now. Anyway, I greatly enjoyed this tea. It was perhaps one of the smoothest black teas I have had in some time.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a very quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 203 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was followed by 15 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of malt, molasses, honey, and wood. After the rinse, I found new aromas of cocoa and toast. The first infusion then brought out hints of smoke and spice on the nose. In the mouth, I detected smooth notes of malt, toast, cocoa, cedar, and pine underscored by hints of black cherry and plum. What-Cha described this as being a very fruity tea, but my experience to this point suggested that it was going to be more malty and bready. Subsequent infusions brought out hints of honey and molasses in the mouth that were accompanied by slightly stronger notes of plum. The black cherry remained subtle throughout. Black pepper and smoke began to appear on the palate while new impressions of baked bread, cream, butter, caramel, minerals, and orange zest began to appear. The later infusions mostly offered lingering impressions of minerals, butter, baked bread, and cream with hints of cocoa and orange zest in the background.

Although this tea did not change a great deal from start to finish, it was very appealing. I loved how smooth it was and all of the aromas and flavors it displayed worked well together. Surprisingly, it was lacking in astringency. That struck me as being very unusual for a Vietnamese wild black tea of any sort. I would definitely recommend this tea to fans of Vietnamese black teas and Yunnan black teas alike. It made for a pleasant break from the usual assamicas on offer.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cedar, Cherry, Cocoa, Cream, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Orange Zest, Pine, Plums, Smoke, Toast

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

So far, I’ve been reviewing only teas I love, and this is no exception. I thought it had just a little bit of astringency, which I like in a breakfast tea, but it still was very smooth and malty. I tried this one as a sample and then promptly ordered more. Like other teas that I enjoy, it has a light cocoa flavor.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

I’ve given this tea another go, using more water and a slightly lower temp.

The tea is very light and smooth, slightly malty with a sweet white grape juiciness and a hint of chocolate and wood in the background. There’s a lingering white grape flavor.

The second steeping is all malt, pear and white grape, with a light fruity-floral after taste. I find myself licking my lips as the flavor lingers for minutes after each sip, it’s lovely.

It’s almost as if the tea showcases the juicy flavors hiding behind the usual curtain of tannins that black teas typically have, resulting in a quite refreshing and gentle brew. I definitely recommend this for those who enjoy lighter, fruitier black teas.

Flavors: Chocolate, Fruity, Malt, Pear, Smooth, White Grapes, Wood