Taiwan Mei Shan 'Jin Xuan' Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433
6 g 4 oz / 118 ml

• “This was another of my November sipdowns. I think I finished what I had of this tea during either the third or fourth week of the month. As unroasted Taiwanese Jin Xuan goes, this one was...” Read full tasting note
  • “It smells amazing, and tastes just as good. A wonderful creamy, floral taste. I steep it Western style in a small pot, and get 3 or so steeps. It’s a lovely dessert tea. I made some delicious ice...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you so much Alistair! I was pretty pleased with this Jin Xuan. The milk taste that this tea is known for was more pronounced and the body was very well balanced. It was a little bit grassy,...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A creamy floral aroma combined with a smooth cream taste with floral notes.

Mei Shan is one of the less fashionable mountain areas with the oolongs often ending up being re-labelled as from the neighbouring Ali Shan which commands a higher price. As a result, buying teas labelled as Mei Shan means you get a similar quality tea to Ali Shan but at a better price.

Tasting Notes:
- Creamy smooth texture
- Creamy floral aroma and taste

Harvest: Spring, mid-April 2017

Origin: Mei Shan, Yunling county, Taiwan
Altitude: 650-800m
Farmer: Huang family
Sourced: Specialist Taiwanese wholesaler

Cultivar: Jin Xuan (TTES #12)
Oxidisation: 15-20%

- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

This was another of my November sipdowns. I think I finished what I had of this tea during either the third or fourth week of the month. As unroasted Taiwanese Jin Xuan goes, this one was excellent. I especially appreciated the complexity, longevity, and thick, full mouthfeel of its liquor.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After the rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 10 seconds. This infusion was chased by 15 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, and 10 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of cream, butter, custard, vanilla, and gardenia. After the rinse, I detected new aromas of sugarcane, grass, and daylily. The first infusion brought out a meaty, brothy umami scent. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of cream, butter, custard, gardenia, grass, daylily, and orchid that were chased by hints of sugarcane and powerful umami notes. Subsequent infusions brought out aromas of cucumber, daylily shoots, and sweet corn along with subtle orchid scents. New impressions of cucumber, daylily shoots, minerals, sweet corn, spinach, pear, green apple, and seaweed expressed themselves in the mouth alongside belatedly emerging vanilla notes. As I ended my session, I could still detect subtle mineral, daylily shoot, cream, butter, sugarcane, green apple, and sweet corn impressions that were underscored by hints of cucumber, spinach, umami, and seaweed. Interestingly, the faint spinach presence swelled after each swallow, leaving the taste of spinach in my mouth for a short time after the end of the session.

I tend to feel that Mei Shan oolongs do not get enough appreciation compared to those produced in some of Taiwan’s more prestigious terroirs, and teas like this one only reinforce that notion. This was a fantastic offering, one that stood head and shoulders above some of the other Taiwanese Jin Xuan oolongs I have tried recently. If you are looking for a Jin Xuan oolong that provides plenty of longevity and delivers all of the cultivar’s best traits, look no further.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Cucumber, Custard, Floral, Gardenias, Grass, Green Apple, Mineral, Orchid, Pear, Seaweed, Spinach, Sugarcane, Sweet, Umami, Vanilla, Vegetal

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Kawaii433

Oh my, that’s going on my next order. Love your reviews.

eastkyteaguy

Kawaii433, thanks. I’ll keep them coming.

It smells amazing, and tastes just as good. A wonderful creamy, floral taste. I steep it Western style in a small pot, and get 3 or so steeps. It’s a lovely dessert tea. I made some delicious ice cream out of it!

Thank you so much Alistair! I was pretty pleased with this Jin Xuan. The milk taste that this tea is known for was more pronounced and the body was very well balanced. It was a little bit grassy, but it was more creamy overall. The florals were definitely there being something like orchid, hyacinth, and barely honeysuckle going a little towards gardenia, but they were not super pronounced and more generalized in a creamy category. I brewed it starting off with a minute, another minutes and 15 sec, 1 min 45 sec, 2 min, 3 min, 4 min. It was sweeter in the first steep having more creamer qualities there, more florals and creamy grass in the middle, and an end with a light rise in green sweetness. The creamy texture and florals definitely compared to an Ali Shan and was better than quite a few I’ve had that were flat. I still prefer the Li Shan from What-Cha as my favorite.

I also got this tea to compare to Spirit Tea’s Mei Shan. They were practically the same. Spirit’s version was thicker, but this one was lighter and a hint less grassy. The differences were fractions of a decimal though. I recommend this one over that one because it’s half as much for the exact same quality.