Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Jasmine Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Banana, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Jasmine, Peach, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Butter, Cream, Orchids, Vegetal, Cantaloupe, Coriander, Honeydew, Lettuce, Mineral, Orchid, Parsley, Pear, Seaweed, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Swap Sample Sipdown! (13 | 82) From Kawaii433! Jasmine again! But this time on a jin xuan oolong base, which sounds amazing… To be honest, I’m surprised to not quite love this as much as the...” Read full tasting note
  • “There is no way I can possibly add any details to the already great reviews on this tea. I am enjoying it, and next time I’ll use a little fewer leaves because it was a very strong and potent...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea from the backlog that I am steadily making progress toward completely clearing, I finished a sample pouch of this oolong last week. This was the sort of tea that made me wonder what my...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a frickin’ good jasmine tea. The jasmine scent is very natural, but it is so strong and sweet with the oolong that it made me think of valentine candy hearts. I’ve done this at 1 minute...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A brilliantly floral jasmine tea where both the oolong tea base and fresh Taiwanese jasmine flowers complement each other to produce an incredibly floral and smooth jasmine tea.

This tea uses the same jin xuan oolong tea base as our Taiwan Milk Oolong, with the tea scented four times with fresh Taiwanese jasmine flowers.

About What-Cha View company

Swap Sample Sipdown! (13 | 82)

From Kawaii433!

Jasmine again! But this time on a jin xuan oolong base, which sounds amazing…

To be honest, I’m surprised to not quite love this as much as the dragon pearls I had a few days ago. Even though this is a jin xuan base, I feel like somehow it tastes less creamy. Maybe it’s just because the peach flavor is missing?

Anyway, it’s still good! The texture is silky smooth from the oolong, and the jasmine is nice and sweet and fresh-tasting. I’m not sure I get that much flavor from the base per se, perhaps a bit of peach and some additional floral presence. Oddly enough, there’s something combining in a way that makes me think of banana near the beginning of the sip… Definitely not a bad thing, just strange!

Anyway, this is yummy and relaxing. But I do prefer Mandala’s dragon pearls.

Flavors: Banana, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Jasmine, Peach, Smooth, Sweet, Thick

There is no way I can possibly add any details to the already great reviews on this tea. I am enjoying it, and next time I’ll use a little fewer leaves because it was a very strong and potent jasmine tea. When I smelled the dry leaves, it was like standing in a garden, a wonderful fresh jasmine flower aroma.

6g, 100ml, 195°F, 9 steeps, 25s, 30s, 35s,40s, 45s, 50s, 55s, 1m, 1m5s

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Jasmine, Orchids, Vegetal

Another tea from the backlog that I am steadily making progress toward completely clearing, I finished a sample pouch of this oolong last week. This was the sort of tea that made me wonder what my specific gripe with so many flavored/scented oolongs has always been because, as scented oolongs go, this was great. It was the sort of tea with which I could not find anything to seriously fault.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 185 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted a vibrant, powerful jasmine aroma. After the rinse, the jasmine scent was still dominant, though I caught touches of cream, butter, daylily, and sugarcane as well. I could not find anything all that different on the nose with the first infusion. In the mouth, the liquor offered a light jasmine note backed by hints of cream and butter with a touch of vegetal character. Subsequent infusions brought out stronger impressions of jasmine, cream, and butter. The daylily and sugarcane appeared on the palate and new impressions of daylily shoots, lettuce, orchid, coriander, sweetgrass, spinach, seaweed, parsley, mineral, and vanilla joined the fray. I could also detect hints of honeydew, cantaloupe, and pear lurking around the fringes. The later infusions were smooth and mellow with a delicate jasmine character surprisingly remaining on several of them. Notes of daylily blossoms and shoots, sweetgrass, butter, parsley, coriander, sugarcane, and cream were still there too. Surprisingly, the mineral notes never really took charge, though there was a subtle minerality present throughout the last series of infusions.

One of the best scented oolongs I have tried to this point, this was an exceptional, interesting tea. It provided a very pleasant drinking experience throughout and displayed admirable longevity, depth, and complexity. Definitely consider giving it a shot.

Flavors: Butter, Cantaloupe, Coriander, Cream, Floral, Grass, Honeydew, Jasmine, Lettuce, Mineral, Orchid, Parsley, Pear, Seaweed, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This is a frickin’ good jasmine tea. The jasmine scent is very natural, but it is so strong and sweet with the oolong that it made me think of valentine candy hearts. I’ve done this at 1 minute starting using heaping 3 grams in 6 ounces, and a minimal of six small leaves in six ounces for two minutes.

The jasmine is always present, I could taste the oolong itself more in its mouth coating texture and background. It’s very creamy and does have the right milk note that distinguishes the Jin Xuan varietal, and has some mild fruit hints in the very last steeps. There is some evolution in the steeps bringing out a few different variations of creamy leaning more on the vanilla end than on the buttery end, almost being custardy. It is also naturally sweet having a mega green sugarcane note with the powerful florals.

I think this tea might overwhelming for a lot of people and I strongly encourage less leaves. It’s a little strong even for me, but that’s something I can easily remedy with more water. Even though the jasmine naturally fuses with the oolongs natural taste, jasmine is at the front lines at all times. The teas texture and mega creamy quality is what distinguishes it from other jasmine teas as well as its general lack of a lot of grassiness….which is weird considering its a green oolong. Anyway, I definitely recommend it. It’s a 95 on the jasmine tea scale being in my top five, but 85 for me personally because of preference and I honestly don’t know how often I’d drink it. It’s tasty enough to drink everyday for me, but it is too powerful for me to drink everyday because of how buzzed the florals make me. I might raise the rating over time, but I’ll leave it at a good recommendation for now.