Taiwan #18 'Red Jade' White Tea

White Tea
White Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

1 Tasting Note View all

From What-Cha

A unique white tea with a crisp cooling menthol taste which lingers in the mouth.

It is very uncommon to find Taiwanese white teas and even more so those produced from TTES.18 Hong Yu (Red Jade), which is almost exclusively used in black tea production.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth yet slightly crisp
- Cooling menthol taste which lingers

Harvest: Autumn, October 2017

Origin: Ming Jian, Nantou County, Taiwan
Altitude: 350m
Farmer: Mr. Chen
Sourced: Direct from the farmer

Cultivar: TTES.18 Hong Yu (Red Jade)
Picking: Hand

- Brew for 3-4 minutes

Packaging: Non-resealable vacuum-sealed bag packaged in Taiwan

About What-Cha View company

1 Tasting Note

Eastteaguy, you own this too?

Anyway, I was fairly impressed with this batch. I saw oolongowl’s earlier review of a Red Peony on Floating Leaves, and when I saw the price tag, I opted out of it. But when I saw one on What-Cha, I knew I had to try it.

The leafs with this one are very delicate and thin, so I had to opt with a French press. However, the flavor is a little bit sneaky because it can become robust after a while, so I have to use less leaves and or shorter steeps for my preferences.

The dry leaf smell like hay and fresh linens hanging in the sun. Tasting it, it is smooth, clean, and lightly cantaloupe sweet with the cooling menthol taste that Alistair describes, and that is expected with the #18 Red Jade varietal. It is a little creamier gong fu, but pretty much the same overall. It also has some fresh cotton notes in the taste, but the liquid is a light yellow like a high mountain oolong without being nearly as grassy. This is not a delicate white tea, however, and the klondike menthol is not to be underestimated. It can get drying like a white Darjeeling, but not too try to take away from the other notes. That’s why I need this tea to cool off sometimes.

I could get seven steeps minimum from gong fu, and the menthol notes would get higher…if that makes sense. A honeysuckle floral would pop up, and the fruity notes spread out. I’m actually getting something that reminds me of cinnamon butter as a hint. I am going to have to write more about this one because I can get a little overwhelmed by the later steeps…a little bit of a buzz. Cha qi, caffiene, or menthol? Or I just need to let my cup cool down.

Well, I do recommend this one. No idea how to rate it. I personally would not drink this one often because it does overwhelm me a little bit. It does merit a rating in the 90’s although I’m personally taking my time to savor this one. It deserves some special attention. I also need to try it out grandpa or in a tumbler before I make a decision.

__Morgana__

I think he answered on my note instead of yours and said he does own it. :-)

eastkyteaguy