2013 Ontario 1357 Shou Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Artichoke, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Caramel, Cocoa, Creamy, Dark Wood, Mocha, Molasses, Musty, Roasted, Smooth, Dark Chocolate, Raisins, Stonefruits, Wood, Cream, Earth, Sweet, Vegetal, Nuts, Vanilla, Wet Earth, Dates, Walnut, Wet wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “I’ll write a more proper tasting note when I drink this Gong Fu, but for now here are some jot notes from the Western styled mug of this that I happily slurped on whilst watching Jungle Book: -...” Read full tasting note
  • “A shou for coffee drinkers, I found this one to be pretty bitter a few short steeps in and pleasantly bitter. After 4-5 steepings the bitterness gives way to a very deeply creamy, almost chocolate...” Read full tasting note
  • “i bought two cakes of this tea just based on the hope that it was similar to the mirkwood blend.. and it is. its very smooth and easy to drink lots of i find- its my favorite shou ive tried so far....” Read full tasting note
  • “I came across a sample of this from Sil, and since I’m still working on clearing out all my samples and smaller quantities, it was a good day for this one, going with short steepings. The early...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Our 2013 Ontario 1357 is a loose shou pu-erh harvested in 2012 and fermented from December ’12 through January ’13. It was produced from the best Yongde county spring ’12 material and blended using grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and golden gong ting for complexity. Sweet, smooth, and highly aromatic, Ontario 1357 delivers a mouthfeel somewhat between a lightly fermented shou and an old raw pu-erh. Notes of brown sugar and walnut are at the forefront, with vanilla and cream balancing it out. A gorgeous vanilla finish lingers with cooling camphor on the tip of the tongue and lips. This tea has a very strong yet calming qi and is a favorite of mine for rainy days and pre-yoga. A fantastic loose shou for drinking now or further aging!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

- Thick mouthfeel, smooth profile
- Earthy, wet wood, walnut, dark wood, cocoa, brown sugar, camphor
- Just slightly roasty
- Full bodied; clean finish

PS. I totally recommend watching the new live action Jungle Book. I thought it was really well done, and I loved pretty much all of it – except Christopher Walken kind of creeped me out a lot as King Louie. Which I suppose is the point. I don’t know; that ONE aspect didn’t work for me.

CrowKettle

I enjoyed the new Jungle Book too; the changed ending appealed emotionally to me more so than the original.

Roswell Strange

Yes, have to fully agree with you on that one :)

A shou for coffee drinkers, I found this one to be pretty bitter a few short steeps in and pleasantly bitter. After 4-5 steepings the bitterness gives way to a very deeply creamy, almost chocolate richness that is very satisfying. This one can go the distance.

i bought two cakes of this tea just based on the hope that it was similar to the mirkwood blend.. and it is. its very smooth and easy to drink lots of i find- its my favorite shou ive tried so far. even without the mushroom morsels its very “mushroomy.” i think i could have brewed it longer than 4 min to get a richer, darker brew, that would help me pick up flavours in its true form. its almost syrupy with some coco/caramel stuff going on. im also drinking this out of my new mug i got for xmas- it looks sort of rustic with white lining the inside so i can see the teas colors better. good qi to if i m not mistaken, even though i havnt drunk much yet.
anyways thanks for reading and happy teaing and happy new year.

-nycoma

The early steeps were wood, with a matte finish (don’t ask me what that means)
Then wood and earth melded, and the color was a rich mahogany.
I didn’t take extensive notes, but I can say that this tea developed a satisfying depth, mildly bitter & almost coffee like in depth, though not in taste.
That’s all I got! Sipdown!

i miss my puerh….

Rasseru

did you give up? :shockedface:

no..just haven’t had time to actually sit and focus on it. Hoping that maybe i can start setting aside time every sunday or something… now that our life is starting to settle down….been a bit of a crazy time with the wedding, the dog, work etc… starting to slow down heh

Rasseru

ah ok, I thought it might be one of those stomach aches people sometimes get from puerh

that would be the worst! heh

Terri HarpLady

I hear what you’re saying. it’s so hard to find time to JUST drink tea, and some teas really require that, at least in my life.

John Grebe

I agree, any teas that are high enough quality to be beyond a certain price point require focused attention when drinking. Whispering Pines teas are really good but it is rare for me to be able to create the space needed for them.

This was my first Shu Pureh and I quite enjoyed it. Of course It was unlike other teas, but I can say now I prefer ripe to raw, but I still have to experiment with other raws, and ripes for that matter. I have lots of stuff from other vendors. but this one I liked. dont remember brewing specifics but i assume everyone here knows how.

Flavors: Artichoke, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Camphor, Caramel, Cocoa, Creamy, Dark Wood, Mocha, Molasses, Musty, Roasted, Smooth

Boiling
AllanK

This is one of the better recent ripe puerhs out there as far as loose ripe goes. The fermentation flavor is a bit muted on this one.

Thank you for sending a sample of this one a while back, NayLynn! I’ve had this one before but it wasn’t distinct enough for me to write a tasting note. This is the last of my sample, but I’m still not finding much to note. I think suddenly ripe pu-erh just tastes like ripe pu-erh to me. Its good, but it’s hard to distinguish from other pu-erh. That’s a shame. For a pu-erh, it is of medium depth and darkness. No offensive fragrance or flavors. But not unique enough for me to love it compared to other pu-erhs. Basically this is just a tasting note to remind myself that I tried this. I will have another pu-erh favorite soon to see if all pu-erh is so plain tasting now.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 9 minutes after boiling // rinse // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep

Gongfu brewed in a shiboridashi. This is a lighter shou puerh which is smooth with forest notes. As in it is nowhere close to what most people would call earthy but has just enough to give it a subtle complexity.

Boiling

Brewing this in a small gongfu teapot, the rinsed leaves have a sweet, musty smell with hints of wood and pastry dough.

The tea is a deep reddish brown, and tastes considerably less sweet than I imagined it would, but it is incredibly smooth. The taste is a little musty and earthy with hints of mineral and maybe a touch of dark chocolate. This isn’t meant to be a reference for flavor, but have you ever brewed fresh turmeric root to drink? It’s really got a smooth texture and flavor, and the quality of this shou reminds me of that smoothness (but not of the turmeric flavor).

The second infusion is the color of cola. The second infusion has more sweetness than the first, and this may sound crazy but cola comes to mind not only in the color but subtly in the flavor as well. Maybe there’s something a little dark-fruit like about it (plum, fig?) that reminds me of Dr. Pepper… Don’t hold me to this or you’ll probably be disappointed. Haha, it’s a stretch but it was an immediate impression. The flavors are a little more developed in this infusion though and raisin comes to mind, as well as a bit of chocolate. The texture is still really smooth. There’s no bitterness. There’s a nice cooling sensation in the mouth after a sip.

Third infusion I’m getting some cocoa and coffee notes. I had some fruit juice with my dinner then came back to this tea, so it may be tasting less sweet because of the juice I was just drinking. The fourth infusion tastes a bit more mellow and sweet again.

I think this is a really smooth tea. The flavor is nice. A good everyday shou!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Musty, Raisins, Stonefruits, Wood

This is what I decided on for today after everything happened this morning. I’ve heard really, really good things about this pu’erh, and it’s been long overlooked in my cupboard. I’m using 1 tsp of leaf for this session, which had an initial rinse of 1 minute in water just cooled from boiling.

First steep is for 1 minute in water just cooled from boiling. The rinse liquor was fairly strongly scented and fishy, so I was wary with my first steep. It turns out that I needn’t have been – the flavour here is pretty delicate and the fishiness has gone completely. The best way to describe this would be “earthy cream”. It’s smooth and sweet with an underlying creaminess, but the main flavour is light forest floor/wet leaf, hence “earthy”. There’s a mild camphor-like coolness after successive sips.

Second steep also for one minute, in boiling water. The flavour this time is a little less distinctively earthy, with amped up cream notes and a touch of brown sugar/molasses in the mid-sip. Interestingly, the scent is still very earthy, but it’s not really coming out in the flavour. I’ve no problem with that, though – cream and brown sugar are just fine with me!

Lunch beckons, but I’ll be returning to this one later…

Third Steep for two minutes in boiling water. The liquor is much darker this time – a red-brown rather than an orange-brown. The flavour seems to have developed a little, too, and is now nuttier (I’m thinking walnut or hazelnut), with a caramel note lurking in the background. There’s still a touch of molasses, and the same distinctive creaminess. The earthiness is back very slightly, but is confined mostly to the aftertaste. I’m guessing the longer steep time encouraged this to re-emerge.

Fourth steep also for two minutes in boiling water. The earthiness has disappeared again, but the lightly sweet creaminess remains, with hints of brown sugar. Some of the intensity has worn off that flavour now, so I wouldn’t really call it molasses anymore. Brown sugar for sure, though. One thing I really like about this one is how it seems to get smoother with each successive steep. It was already pretty smooth to start with, but now it’s even more so. Silky, mildly sweet, sugar/cream amazingness.

Fifth steep for 3 minutes in boiling water, and it’s possibly the most amazing yet. It’s really sweet, with a distinctive creaminess and strong brown sugar notes, also a touch of vanilla. There’s no earthiness at all, and it’s the silkiest, smoothest thing that’s passed my lips in a long, long time. I know 3 minutes was recommended for this one, and I can definitely see why. I’m still over-cautious when it comes to pu’erh, though, especially the early steeps, thanks to a couple of fairly dodgy experiences. I’m going to have to think about what to do with my next cup, and whether to start with a longer steep straight off? Maybe it’s time to be brave again.

I had hoped to get six steeps of this one completed – two each at one, two and three minutes. I’m almost out of time unless I take the leaves home with me, though, and in all honesty I’m not going to faff around doing that. I’ve had a good time with this tea today, though – it’s kept me company without the need for milk, and has been utterly delicious all the way through. I’m really glad I picked up a pouch of this one, and only sad I didn’t get around to trying it sooner.

1 tsp

A very smooth and drinkable selection. Not super overpowering especially with a good rinse. An earthy creaminess is the best way I can think to describe it. A good tea buzz is achieved through multiple gongfu steeps. A solid tea overall.

Flavors: Cream, Earth