Tea
Yunnan Black Tea
Almond, Berries, Cherry Wood, Jasmine, Malt, Brown Sugar, Citrus Zest, Cranberry, Forest Floor, Leather, Meat, Mineral, Plant Stems, Sawdust, Smoke, Smooth, Straw, Wood, Caramel, Cloves, Floral, Fruity, Honey, petrichor, Spices, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Anise, Black Pepper, Brown Toast, Butter, Camphor, Cherry, Cinnamon, Clove, Cream, Earth, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Herbs, Menthol, Nutmeg, Nutty, Orange Zest, Pine, Raisins, Tobacco, Astringent, Black Currant, Coffee, Grass, Sage, Salt, Tangy, Thyme, Autumn Leaf Pile, Clay, Dry Grass, Maple, Oak wood, Wet Moss, White Grapes, Cocoa, Tea
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Daylon R Thomas

• “Luxuriously complex…rich & velvety. Just smelling this brewed tea makes me happy. If you haven’t indulged in this lovely tea yet I highly recommend you do! Sip & savor.” Read full tasting note
  • “I tend to compare every wild arbor black tea from Yunnan to W2T’s Arbor Red nowadays, it has become the staple tea of this category for me. As for Ancient Spirit, this one seems to have a really...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finally I had time for a more complex tea than some tea bags. I sample from Derk and I really like it. Preheated gaiwan, 3 grams of tea. Oh, right after first notes started to appear! Mineral as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Happy Valentines Day all ❤️ Thank you Derk :D for this sample. This has been on my wishlist for a very long time. Like many of my wishlist items, it was a tea that is long gone (at least for now)...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Straight out of the oldest tea forest in Yunnan comes the finest wildcrafted black tea we have had the pleasure to taste. Picked from wild trees up to 300 years old, Ancient Spirit is a pure embodiment of deep, ancient wilderness.

Toss the leaves into a warmed gaiwan and you take in the aromas of an old growth forest in the summertime, with powerful notes of warm wood, citrus, and medicinal herbs among a slight floral background. The wet leaves smell herbaceous and hint at aged tobacco, malt, and wild berries.

The taste is huge and complex. Medicinal herbs and flowers take the front, with orchid and jasmine being the most prominent florals. A grounding bitter note pulls it together with a middle of tart and sweet — black cherry and elderberry. Near the finish there are notes of spruce and a touch of mushroom, finishing with a light mineral bite and spice not unlike that of fresh wintergreen berries. You may find yourself lost in the taste and the powerful aroma of petrichor, not noticing the immense energy this tea brings with it!

Please take time to savor this tea…it is truly a huge gift from nature and I have never been more excited to share such an incredible tea with my customers. Take from it what you will…but for me, this tea is transcendent and brings me back to my roots.

Sweet
Old Forest
Medicinal Herbs

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Flavors: Almond, Berries, Cherry Wood, Jasmine, Malt

I tend to compare every wild arbor black tea from Yunnan to W2T’s Arbor Red nowadays, it has become the staple tea of this category for me. As for Ancient Spirit, this one seems to have a really good reputation on here so I was excited to try it. All in all, it doesn’t reach the heights of Arbor Red in my opinion. It is less well balanced and is not as complex. On the other hand, the longetivity and texture is just as good if not better.

The dry leaf aroma is slightly metallic with notes of sawdust, tomato vine, leather, and cranberry. From the wet leaves I get scents of forest floor, smoke and later in the session also roast lamb. The taste is very smooth and elegant. There are flavours of straw, citrus zest, leather, wood, and brown sugar. They turn into a mineral, woody, and fragrant aftertaste. I quite like the mouthfeel, which is buttery, smooth, soft, and somewhat fleeting.

It’s quite hard to describe this tea overall, but it is very mineral, a bit smoky, somewhat savoury, and lightly sweet. Late steeps then turn out to be distinctively woody.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Citrus Zest, Cranberry, Forest Floor, Leather, Meat, Mineral, Plant Stems, Sawdust, Smoke, Smooth, Straw, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Finally I had time for a more complex tea than some tea bags.
I sample from Derk and I really like it.

Preheated gaiwan, 3 grams of tea.
Oh, right after first notes started to appear! Mineral as well spicy, grapes, other stone fruits. Hmm, very, very interesting.

No rinse; too lazy to do it. I did not even had some precious time managment, just brewing as I like it. Once it was 30 seconds, then 90 seconds. I don´t care :D I was just preparing it somehow.

Tastes? Oh, so many. Red grapes probably most, but there are mineral notes, pine, forest floor, kinda woody, come on? It is so complex as well very velvety, smooth, cooling down a bit I guess. It is so good! Really! Maybe I feel bit nostalgic, as I also noticed antique shop aromas and as well a old books. Really fancy tea!

Derk, why you have not send me more? I would love to try it in different ways too! But of course it is bit ironic; it is lovely tea and really thank you for this sample.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
derk

Lol, I know, I know. It was the last of my bag!

Martin Bednář

It is nice that I had chance to try it

derk

Glad you liked it, Martin. It’s my favorite black tea.

Happy Valentines Day all ❤️

Thank you Derk :D for this sample. This has been on my wishlist for a very long time. Like many of my wishlist items, it was a tea that is long gone (at least for now) and the likelihood of being able to try it is also long gone. I was so delighted to get this that I just wanted to keep the sample of it for as long as I can… Maybe just frame it. lol

There are a few really great and thorough reviews on this tea. It is such a complex tea. I enjoyed reading them all. First thought after taking my first sip or two… This is Yunnan black tea? Did I grab the wrong one? Started out woodsy, citrusy, fruity, stonefruits, slightly floral, orchid. For an infusion or two, early on, it reminded me of a sheng I like. It was unique in its taste because it just didn’t taste like any of the Yunnan black teas I’ve tried (note: I don’t have a lot of experience with black tea. Thankfully someone else far more experienced said that too.) But this “Sheng” taste went away, it’s so complex that when I thought I somewhat understood the taste profile, it morphed into something else. Just as tasty, but different. There were berries, fruits, honey, clove, spices, and later some minerals, sweetness versus perfect tart notes here and there. In the long infusions, in the end, I got the malt, the sweet potatoes, the brown toast, the caramel along with the citrus and berries notes that were still there. Ah! I didn’t grab the wrong sample after all :).

So yeah, this was quite a journey. It lasted throughout the whole day. I look forward to trying it again if it ever becomes available. So, for now, my first impression is that it is a wonderfully complex and tasty wildcrafted black tea. I’d like to try it all the different ways as well.

3g, 110ml, 205F, rinse, 10 steeps, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s, 2m, 3m, 5m.

Flavors: Berries, Caramel, Cloves, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Malt, petrichor, Spices, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
Whispering Pines Tea Company

I think you’ll be happy to hear that I was able to secure a bit more of this one just yesterday and it’s on the way from China as we speak :-) happy you love it!

derk

RIght as I’m about to place an order, no kidding. Thanks for the update.

derk

And it looks like you added a few more new teas :)

Kawaii433

Thanks, I hopped on it too. :D

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Sure did, Derk! :-) no worries, thanks for the orders!

A name has never been so appropriate for a tea, one that transports me through environments and time. Ancient Spirit hits all the right notes and feels. Complex (see the other reviews!), substantial yet light, stimulating yet grounding. Performs well gongfu, western and grandpa and oversteeping is not disastrous. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner if you don’t mind staying up past your bedtime.

I’ve had two harvests of this so far. The one I’m currently sipping on is 2017. I so, so hope Brenden continues to carry Ancient Spirit!

200 °F / 93 °C 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
annie

how dare you. I miss this tea so much.

Who me???

annie

hahahaha, it’s been out of stock for a million years!! thanks for the reminder of how wonderful this tea is :(

derk

It really is great. Was this year’s harvest offered?

Mastress Alita

I see great reviews for Whispering Pines all the time, but any time I go to their website, their teas seem to always be sold out. In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen them in stock. I’ve only ever tried their teas through cupboard sales/trades/teaboxes. Are they like this Black Friday ordeal that gets tea once a year and it sales out in one flash weekend, never to be seen again until the next legendary harvest?

derk

A lot of the blended teas, yeah, but not extreme like a weekend sell-out. He typically list the majority of plain teas in the spring, followed by blends and some other teas in the fall. This year had a different cadence to the tea releases. You can sign up for the mailing list at the bottom of the main page.

I am going to break a long-standing rule of mine with this review. I have previously made it known on at least a couple of occasions that I will not assign a perfect score to any tea. Honestly, I’m pretty free and easy with grades of 80+ because I tend to buy, drink, and review things I know and like from vendors in which I have some degree of confidence. You may notice, however, that it is very difficult to get me to assign numerical scores higher than the 90-94 range, and for those who are interested, that is because I have established different degrees of excellence in my head. A score in the 95-99 range is reserved for teas that I believe to be a step or two above those I feel to already be more or less exceptional. A score of 100 would then refer to a perfect, world-beating tea which could not be topped by any other tea of its type. While I have come close to assigning perfect scores in the past, I could never motivate myself to do so, but here I am doing it now because I really do believe this tea to be that special. It was excellent to start with, but if anything, it managed to improve considerably in storage.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a very brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 194 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 16 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of tobacco, clove, camphor, eucalyptus, black pepper, caramel, honey, brown toast, and malt. After the rinse, I noted new aromas of butter, cream, and raisin accompanied by stronger malt and honey scents. The first infusion then introduced roasted almond, roasted cashew, and pine aromas. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented notes of tobacco, clove, caramel, black pepper, cream, malt, raisin, butter, brown toast, honey, and pine that were chased by hints of roasted cashew, cinnamon, camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol on the swallow. Subsequent infusions introduced cinnamon, nutmeg, and sweet potato on the nose. Roasted almond appeared in the mouth along with new flavors of black cherry, nutmeg, ginger, juniper, minerals, peat, orange zest, heather, anise, and sweet potato. The final couple of infusions offered subtler notes of cream, pine, caramel, malt, and brown toast that were balanced by somewhat less defined orange zest, raisin, ginger, tobacco, and camphor impressions.

If anything was missing from this hong cha, it was the familiar molasses presence I often find in teas of this type. There was, however, so much else going on in this tea that was so unique and special that it was not missed at all. This was a truly fantastic tea, and in terms of feel and the way it expressed itself, it was unlike any other Yunnan black tea I recall trying over the years. I would have no issue recommending it to anyone with an interest in such teas.

Flavors: Almond, Anise, Black Pepper, Brown Toast, Butter, Camphor, Caramel, Cherry, Cinnamon, Clove, Cream, Earth, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Herbs, Honey, Malt, Menthol, Mineral, Nutmeg, Nutty, Orange Zest, Pine, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Tobacco

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
derk

It’s zee best! So complex, even when brewed western. I pick up forest mushroom that way, too. Like a fresh king bolete (porcini) plucked from the fir duff.

Bluegreen

Wow. A 100. And it does not cost an arm and a leg. Will need to try.

Daylon R Thomas

It’s definitely my favorite black from Whispering Pines.

Daylon R Thomas

And a 100 really is not off for that one.

ashmanra

I am going to have to check this out.

LuckyMe

This sounds amazing. Off to check out Whispering Pines…

drinking the last of this and I’m gonna miss this glorious forest.

Ancient Pines is an excellent tea with a vast range of tastes and smells. I highly recommend this tea. It stimulates and satisfies the palate at the same so well the I’ve spent hours enjoying Ancient Pines.
Dry leaves have an intense yet pleasant smell of wood smoke, salt, caramel, and honey. Dry leaves are gold to dark brown in color and have length of about 1-2 cm, and are tightly rolled to form wiry-shaped leaves. Infused leaves untighten and uncoil, making them up to about 3 cm long. Leaves become a uniform light brown in color. Liquor ranges from light gold to deep red-brown depending on infusion time and amount of tea in the cup or gaiwan.
Earlier infusions are highly nuanced. Aroma and taste of a damp forest or decaying leaves, with a background of florals blossom on the palate. Expect clear honey and jasmine flavors, as well as cherry and black currant. The tea also has a grassy taste, not unlike the taste of lesser-oxidized leaves. Ancient Spirit has a vivid terroir, and mental images of the woods were at the forefront of my mind while tasting the tea. Later infusions contain a more muted floral taste with a less pronounced but satisfying sweetness. Other flavors are sage, thyme, Spanish cane, and sauteed almonds. Tea leaves begin to smell strongly of coffee, leather, and tobacco. The aftertaste has a mild astringency.

Flavors: Almond, Astringent, Black Currant, Caramel, Cherry, Coffee, Floral, Grass, Honey, Jasmine, Leather, Sage, Salt, Smoke, Tangy, Thyme, Tobacco, Wood

Very vibrant caramel/chocolate/dark fruit flavor and thick coating mouthfeel in the first four infusions, and the sweetness and richness hung on better than most tippy black teas in the later infusions, though there was quite a contrast between the third, fourth, and fifth steepings where it got woodier and a little thinner

195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

Well, I think this is my favorite black tea….it is amazingly complex, but very subtle, so one has to give it time and attention to really get everything from it. That said it is also a nice sipping tea if you don’t want to think that much about it. VEry much like a Wuyi yancha in character.
Nose; honey, sweet florals — violets, clover, cocoa, sandalwood ( very light ), vanilla, mushrooms, leaf mould, forest after a rain — ozone.
Palate; Very interesting , slightly full mouth and throat but not as much as say a Dian Hong, clover, alfalfa hay, vanilla, oak moss, mushroom, sassifrass, honey, ginseng, huckleberry, and a somewhat mineral character.
Yeah all of that is there and probably more!