Imperial North Winds

Butter, Butterscotch, Caramel, Cherry, Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Roasted Barley, Rye, Scotch, Smooth, Stonefruit, Sweet, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “Thank you, Brenden! This is becoming a new favorite. I’ve done this western and Gong Fu. I have a slight preference gong fu so that I can enjoy it slower flavor by flavor, but it smoothens out well...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wow. Another extraordinary offering from Whispering Pines. A huge thanks to Kawaii433 for this one as well. This is absolutely decadent. Pure chocolate and malt. Rich, creamy mouthfeel. It holds up...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wow, this is almost too decadent for an at-work tea. I think it’d be better suited to a day of indulging in a good book somewhere comfortable where I could really enjoy. First cup is a little malty...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

I’ve been searching for the right teas to make this blend happen for the last few years, and I couldn’t be happier with the final product!

Imperial North Winds was made to be a super rich standalone breakfast blend to keep you warm in the winter and still interested in the summer ;-)

INW hits hard in the flavor and the aroma department, with base notes of rich, creamy chocolate and sweet cherry making their presence known immediately. More subtly, as you’re being taken by the smooth and seductive sweetness, a comforting note of toasted marshmallow floats through here and there. Other various stonefruit notes pass by, some hearty malt, and a soft lingering finish leaves your mouth watering.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you, Brenden!

This is becoming a new favorite. I’ve done this western and Gong Fu. I have a slight preference gong fu so that I can enjoy it slower flavor by flavor, but it smoothens out well with longer steeps. I was surprised how small the leaves are, though it’s like looking at hairs from black sheeps golden fleece. In essence, pretty.

It does bear similarities to the original blend in all Brenden’s favorite profiles of cocoa, chocolate, cherry, un-added vanilla, CARAMEL, but this higher grade of leaves does make the blend more refined. The original had some rougher edges with occasional, but highly desirable astringency, bitterness and dryness. The Imperial blend has rye dryness, but not astringency or bitterness. Instead, it’s got malt done right-there where times where I had to remind myself that this was not Scotch. I personally got some present barley notes with butter, stonefruit and caramel. The fruitiness is very faint, but again, likes a scotch, serves as an accent.

I am glad I decided to get two oz since I am almost done with the first. It’s a perfect breakfast tea for when I don’t want to wake up. I like it as a soft lunch-rejolt, but it’s so great looking out at a cold, auburn and grey Michigan morning.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Caramel, Cherry, Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Roasted Barley, Rye, Scotch, Smooth, Stonefruit, Sweet, Vanilla

Wow. Another extraordinary offering from Whispering Pines. A huge thanks to Kawaii433 for this one as well. This is absolutely decadent. Pure chocolate and malt. Rich, creamy mouthfeel. It holds up to multiple steeps, but I found the first steep to be my favorite.

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Malt

Kawaii433

You’re very welcome! So glad you enjoyed it.

First cup is a little malty and sweet with a whole lot of vanilla. Honestly reminds me of these chocolate scones at a local coffee shop – something warm and freshly-baked (there’s a hint of chocolate here, but it’s not the main point). Texturally, it’s kind of silky and easy to drink.

Second cup is way more intensely chocolate, with a little more dimension to the sweetness – it’s described as cherry, which I guess works as long as you’re thinking sweet cherries and not tart ones (so…not what I was expecting, oops).

Back to work I go, will make more tea later throughout the day, but so far this one is really lovely.

Flavors: Cherry, Chocolate, Malt, Sweet, Vanilla

Kawaii433

I liked this one very much, and I really love the Ambrosia which is this tea blended with Tahitian vanilla. :D

Dustrose

I haven’t tried Ambrosia, but it’s tempting. Now that I think of it, I actually do have some vanilla I could experiment with myself. Time to see how much vanilla is too much vanilla…

Kawaii433

hehe Keep us posted how adding vanilla goes. I have some Imperial North Winds left and maybe I’ll try too. By itself though, it’s yummy as you said.