2018 Mini Redheads

Apricot, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Oats, Wheat, Berries, Citrus, Molasses, Pepper, Spices, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by ElleForest

• “Sipdown (609)! This was a freebie from a past W2T order – not something I’d have chosen for myself since I already have this tea in cake form. I’ve been drinking it Grandpa all afternoon, but to be...” Read full tasting note
  • “So. I got my W2T order. I grabbed a couple of these in it, and decided to give it a shot. Quickie review today, this tea is very nice. I may have underleafed as I didn’t use the whole cake (8g for...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is from Sips by. I tweeted about it a day or two ago and a couple people said really nice things about it. First of all, I love the art on the cake. It depicts a lovely woman in 1920’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “w2t production names and labels make so much sense sometimes. Pretty leaves. Wet leaf scent places you a few sunny days following an autumn rain. You’d develop an instant crush on this girl, and...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

7g Yunnan black

About White2Tea View company

Sipdown (609)!

This was a freebie from a past W2T order – not something I’d have chosen for myself since I already have this tea in cake form. I’ve been drinking it Grandpa all afternoon, but to be honest I’m not paying it much attention at all – I’ve been quite busy with lab testing and it’s become more of a backdrop tea; something to sip away at in between tests. Sweet enough, and smooth enough – but not commanding of my attention.

In fact, I hardly recall much of anything about the last few hours worth of cups that I’ve slowly slurped back – but I imagine it’s not really all that different than the tea in cake form, and I have plenty of that left still…

Quickie review today, this tea is very nice. I may have underleafed as I didn’t use the whole cake (8g for one cup seemed a bit much) but the resulting tea is not too strong so… Anyway, because of that no strong flavors are jumping out at me. It’s nice and even and predictable, but still welcomed – like a nice shoulder rub from a trusted friend. I would totally get this again, but next time I will use the whole cake.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

First of all, I love the art on the cake. It depicts a lovely woman in 1920’s fashion, with a cute bobbed hairstyle and one of those elegant cigarettes on a stick. Very Alphonse Mucha, but with fewer details.

The instructions on Sips by said that I needed half a cake for 8 ounces of water. That seemed like a lot to me, but I went with it. I crunched it up a bit and smelled it, thankful for no musty, iodine-like puerh notes. No, this just smells like the kind of dian hong black teas I crave.

Since I used so much of the cake, the tea comes out alarmingly dark. But it smells sweet, like fruit and malt. The flavor is so amazingly smooth. I’m getting notes of honeyed apricot. Faint oats or wheat. The honey note really lingers on the exhale. This tastes so much fresher than I expected. Even with the tea coming out this dark, it’s hardly bitter at all. This is a real treat. I will definitely be attempting a re-steep if the caffeine isn’t too much.

EDIT: The caffeine was a lot. I should have gone with a shorter steep time. Oh boy.
EDIT 2: Ok, I’m more than a little inexperienced with tea cakes. I see from other reviewers that I probably shouldn’t have broken the cake up. Oops. Now I know.

Sipdowns in 2019: 16

Flavors: Apricot, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Oats, Wheat

Kawaii433

I loved this one. I ordered more recently. I’m thinking of getting the big cake of it but the little mini ones are so convenient and well… Cute. lol

w2t production names and labels make so much sense sometimes. Pretty leaves. Wet leaf scent places you a few sunny days following an autumn rain. You’d develop an instant crush on this girl, and almost any girl really, if she strolled by you on campus during first quarter when the air smelled like so. Makes me wanna try more dian hong yunnan blacks.

Flavors: Fruity, Honey

Free sample yay. According to White2Tea this is a pressed Dian Hong black tea from Yunnan, made from sun-dried large leaf varietal material, and zero machine processing. Each mini weighs ~7 grams, shaped in a small flat disk (I really like the disks… Surface area). They sell them in singles (unlike the stacks of Smoove cocoa or flapjacks). There is a picture of a redhead on it in a nice dress, the type of dress I’d never wear :P. I live in baggy comfy clothes. lol (To my mother’s dismay lol)

I digress.

Anyway, the dry mini didn’t really have a smell to me. The wet leaves smelled like goji berries, stone fruits, spices. Hardly any tea dust, big leaves. Surprising in a mini. Smoove Cocoa was like that too. On the 4th infusion, the disk opened up, enter sweet molasses aroma and taste, lots of flavor in this tea. The liquor went from light amber to a darker gold-ish orange. It’s very clean, has a creamy thick taste, fruity with berries, stone fruits, and citrus, malt, wood. Clean, floral, and citrus aftertaste. I didn’t really find it astringent nor bitter as many did in the cake. There were lots of honey, molasses, spice notes too. It’s complex and thoroughly enjoyable.

7g, 110ml, rinse, 15 steeps: 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, 40s, 45s, 50s, 55s, 60s, 65s,70s, 75s

Flavors: Berries, Citrus, Fruity, Honey, Molasses, Pepper, Spices, Stonefruits

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 110 OZ / 3253 ML
Mastress Alita

I live in that type of clothing too! I wouldn’t be caught dead in dresses or make-up. :-P

Kawaii433

hehe I hear you on the dresses. At most, I’ll wear a maxi skirt with a baggy sweater of course. :D